Gransnet forums

Pets

Thoughts on getting another dog at the age of 72.

(59 Posts)
Rio24 Fri 24-Jan-20 19:28:31

Hi, I have just had my 5 year old gsp PTS She had lymphoma. She was my 2nd gsp. I thought i would have at least another 6 years with her. The house is so empty and I miss her so so much. My husband and I are both 72, at home all day and can afford to have another dog. But do we chance having another at our age. We are both fit and healthy (so far!) your thoughts please?

sf101 Mon 28-Sep-20 08:44:37

Retired Greyhounds - I have to endorse all those who mentioned these wonderful dogs.
6 weeks ago I welcomed Cassie into my life and she is the easiest most loving dog. She came with good manners and fully house trained. She lets you do anything to her without fuss, teeth, ears and nails all cleaned and clipped no trouble.
she still wants to chase small furries but is getting used to other well behaved dogs.
Best thing I ever did.

Rio24 Mon 05-Oct-20 17:03:04

Hi all. Now have a wonderful rescue gsp called Coco. She is nearly 2 years old . A bit younger than I would have liked but she is very manageable and calm. Best thing I’ve done since losing my dear Saffi. Hopefully we’ll spend many healthy years together.

Framilode Mon 05-Oct-20 17:37:56

That's wonderful news Rio. She is gorgeous and will fill the hole in your heart.

Witzend Mon 05-Oct-20 17:45:50

I’m nearly your age and if I were going to get another dog (I’d love one but there are reasons why not) it’d be an older rescue dog. Neighbours of a dd recently got a rescue greyhound - she’s lovely.

I’d have to get someone else to choose for me though - I couldn’t bear looking at all those dogs needing homes and choosing just one. ?

Tweedle24 Mon 05-Oct-20 18:27:00

4 years ago I was 72 when our two 17 Year old cats died within a couple of months of my husband, one with cancer and the other with a cardiac problem. I could not bear the empty house so got a pair of year old rescue cats, Anthony and Cleopatra. I took out life membership of the Cinnamon Trust so that I can be confident that they will never be separated.

They have been an absolute godsend, particularly during lock-down. I would say, “ Go for it. Take on a lovely new companion.”.

watermeadow Thu 08-Oct-20 18:19:53

I was 73 when my beloved Cavalier died. I couldn’t live without a dog and bought a new puppy soon afterwards. I couldn’t get the breed mix I wanted from a rescue.
This little dog has been very very hard work. She’s extremely noisy and maniacally active. I love her but regret not taking longer to find a more suitable pup for someone old.
I’d never say don’t get a dog because you’re getting old but take your time and make sure you choose something suitable.

Grandmafrench Thu 08-Oct-20 18:38:31

Well done Rio. How lovely. You've got so much love to give a dog and you decided to rescue one. How lucky is she. You know what they say -

'Please don't breed or buy, when rescue dogs are left to die!'

It's true. There are so many beautiful dogs of all ages waiting for homes, even unusual or pedigree dogs of all ages if you're willing to wait for one. I hope that Coco will give you both joy and soften the sadness that you have endured with the loss of Saffi. Be happy!

Rio24 Sun 11-Oct-20 14:03:33

Thank you all for your very kind messages of support. Coco has turned out to be a dream dog. Although very active and needing a lot of exercise, she finds that 2 walks a day suits her fine! In the home she settles down and loves her garden. I am now a very content dog owner. And above all she doesn’t care if I’m old! ????