Gransnet forums

Pets

My beloved kitten what would others have done

(36 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 26-Jan-20 20:55:12

My kitten arrived on Christmas eve and I was in love at first sight, however on 8th Jan he became seriously ill, it was a Saturday and only one emergency vet, they charged 140 before treating him, he was vomiting all day they said it would be £1500 for an op to remove a telescope bowel. I don't have that sort of money so they transferred me to the Pdsa, the kept him in overnight on drip and at £275 at night the costs soon mounted. I was soon in overdraught, the next day they operated but he went into shock so another night, I got him home very weak with special food but had to go back next day as he wasn't well at all.
In total the cost has been just under £1000, I have put half on my credit card which is just for emergencies, borrowed off family for the rest and had to ask them for food etc.I have aslo not worked for 3 weeks over the holidays as I'm on 0 hours.
The good part is that my baby is getting better at the minute, although he's on antibiotics and still could die from complications. I wake every night worrying about debt and if he's going to need more treatment. I also realise I have no safety net if something needs repair on the house or car. It's scary. I realise most people will have several hundreds in the bank for emergencies but i have literally nothing except a bigger overdraught.

annsixty Sun 26-Jan-20 21:14:20

Oh how sorry I feel for you Ethelbags
My little cat is about 17 months old , I have had her for 14 months and she is the world to me.
I could afford vets bills at the moment but who knows what happens.
Last year my D’s adopted cat was ill and the bill was £900 , she couldn’t afford that and knowing how she and my GC felt, I paid but couldn’t do it again.
I hope your little kitten gets well, perhaps you should look at som form of insurance for him.

gmarie Sun 26-Jan-20 21:19:09

etheltbags1 you have a big heart which is not as practically important as having money set aside but surely more so in the big picture. Hopefully, you can gradually rebuild your emergency savings in the new year. Sending you hugs. flowers

Buffybee Sun 26-Jan-20 21:37:14

etheltbags, I know it's a lot of money that you obviously can't afford but hopefully you will have you're lovely little kitten for many years of happiness and that will be your reward.
I'm wishing you all the best for yours and your kittens health and for your future financial stability. flowers

Hetty58 Sun 26-Jan-20 21:46:40

etheltbags1, you said:

'I realise most people will have several hundreds in the bank for emergencies'

I don't think that's necessarily true. A lot of people live almost 'hand to mouth' and rely on credit cards or overdrafts for unexpected expenses. You ask what we would have done. Pretty much the same. Some would arrange vet insurance for a new pet, others would take a chance and hope they never need it. I wonder where the kitten came from. Breeders often include initial insurance cover.

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 22:05:34

You have a big heart, please post photo of the baby.

Others, may well have put him to sleep. If he comes through this, that will be your reward.

Look for a credit card that gives zero interest for transfter balance say on “compare the market” if you are able to access one of these, it may help your sleepless nights are you know no interest is being added.

newnanny Mon 27-Jan-20 00:24:16

I have 3 cats and 3 kittens and I would have done exactly the same as you. I love my kitties so much. I have just paid for 3 to be spaid and 3 vacinations and 3 go back for second vaccination and microchippibg. I have spent about £700 over three weeks. I hope your little kitty gets well soon and continues to bring you love and joy. What is it called?

eebeew Mon 27-Jan-20 00:35:34

I’m so sorry for your difficulty and hope that the little cat survives.
I have pet insurance that cost £15 a month, worth while for peace of mind. I live in NZ but it must surely be available in the UK. I know this sounds unkind but we probably shouldn’t have a pet if we won’t be able to afford vet care.

TwiceAsNice Mon 27-Jan-20 06:38:12

Pet insurance is really needed as costs are prohibitive as you’ve found out. Be aware though the insurer will not insure you for the same problem now the kitten has had it. I echo changing your credit card for a new no interest balance you can then pay it off slowly as long as you pay more than the minimum payment every month . I have a cat that I adore I would have done the same

GagaJo Mon 27-Jan-20 06:50:03

I would have done the same Ethelbags1. She is lucky to have you.

ladymuck Mon 27-Jan-20 07:13:00

I do hope your little kitty pulls through. Vets do charge a lot, and it's something we have to allow for when we acquire pets. Good luck to you.

Granarchist Mon 27-Jan-20 10:03:30

When my DD got her first puppy I advised her to put the equivalent of insurance premiums into a savings account - so far they have nearly £1000 in there. Obviously not enough for a major incident but not bad. Do other people have a moral quandry over people being quoted well into 5 figures for joint replacements etc for their pet when there are foodbanks in every town and genuine hardship in our towns and cities?

Sussexborn Mon 27-Jan-20 10:16:08

Do you have a PDSA vet in your area? They treat animals and only ask for whatever donation you can afford. It may help with future care.

Daddima Mon 27-Jan-20 10:28:54

Sussexborn, I’m sure my friend was charged £140 just for being seen when she took their dog to PDSA, because she wasn’t on any benefits.
I might have imagined that though.
I hope your wee kitten continues to improve.

MadeInYorkshire Mon 27-Jan-20 10:35:02

Oh poor you and poor kitty - yes we do what we can for our animals, and at least we can put them out of their misery should the need arise and they are suffering.

As regards the debt maybe get some advice from the CAB or online via National Debtline (you can chat to a live person on there!) as I know what sort of an effect that can have on both your physical and mental health!

merlotgran Mon 27-Jan-20 10:40:24

I know I'm going to be unpopular but I would have had the kitten PTS.

Heartbreaking at the time but not as bad as worry and sleepless nights caused by being in debt. Credit cards can be a nightmare to pay off unless you can pay well over the minimum amount each month. Difficult if you are on a zero hours contract.

Sometimes our heads have to overrule our hearts. sad

However, I'm glad your kitten seems to be recovering and I hope you don't have any follow up bills to deal with.

ladymuck Mon 27-Jan-20 10:41:21

Don't vets have some sort of credit arrangement? The RSPCA is very quick to prosecute people who don't have their pets treated when sick, but so many cannot afford vets bills (There isn't a PDSA in every district).
My local vet charges £35 just to see you, which means people will put off a visit and try to treat an animal themselves. However, you can arrange credit if you ask when you first make an appointment.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 27-Jan-20 12:54:26

I would have done the same as you,ethelbags, and like you I would be worried sick about what will go wrong next!

I try to put a little money aside every week. Sometimes only £1, but it still goes into a jam jar hidden away where I don't see it all the time.

We certainly don't have millions in the bank, but I did make a budget of all household expenses, insurance etc. and ran it past the bank, so a certain amount of money goes into my direct debit account each month.

I realise this is harder to manage when you don't have a fixed monthly salary, but perhaps talking to a financial advisor would help.

trisher Mon 27-Jan-20 13:04:55

ethelbags1 so sorry to hear about this. Hope your cat is still improving and growing stronger. Have you thought about talking to the Cats Protection League? They have a help line and although they may not be able to help with your financial situation they may give you advice about care and just talk you through things.You could always help them out later by volunteering. Hope you are feeling a bit better.

Septimia Mon 27-Jan-20 13:19:14

I'd have spent the money, like you, and given the poor little thing a chance. When we get an animal we take on responsibility for their welfare but we also give them a place in our hearts and feel obliged to do what we can to help them.

We have a cat which we adopted from another family member who couldn't keep him. Within weeks he cost us £300 for dental work and later he needed an expensive operation. We had a very limited income at the time and virtually no savings - no safety net if the car needed repolacing etc. But I don't regret the vet's fees because he's the loveliest, most affectionate cat you could wish for and we've given him a second chance in life.

lemongrove Mon 27-Jan-20 14:04:07

ethel..you did what was right for you that’s the main thing.
Much as I really like cats ( and have had them all my life) I would have allowed the vet to put him to sleep.Such eye watering debts wouldn’t have been right for me.

Calendargirl Mon 27-Jan-20 14:28:29

I agree with Merlotgran and lemongrove.

The kitten sadly should have been put to sleep. Racking up huge debts for a new kitten would horrify me. What if it needs more treatment soon, how will that be paid for? P.D.S.A. should not be relied on to treat animals that you basically can not afford to own.

SirChenjin Mon 27-Jan-20 15:59:31

I would have very reluctantly had the kitten PTS. It would have been heartbreaking but the thought of that amount of debt on a low income would terrify me, as would asking family for food. I would have then got a new kitten with pet insurance if I was able to afford the monthly premiums and excess.

lavenderzen Mon 27-Jan-20 16:18:52

Hello ethel I am so sorry your little kitten has been so poorly. You did what you felt you had to do that is the important thing. Don't beat yourself up about it. I realise that this puts you in a difficult position financially but you will get through this, these things have a way of working themselves out. I know I have been there in the past. Perhaps see if you can transfer your balance on your credit card.

Good luck and hope little kitten continues to get better xx

ananimous Mon 27-Jan-20 16:19:39

How about a crowd funding site?