Gransnet forums

Pets

My cats bring me a sponge to wake me up

(7 Posts)
SouperNan Fri 06-Mar-20 21:52:20

So I have had my cats just 4 weeks, rescued from the rspca after 2 stints there but settling really well with me. When they want me to wake up, they take it in turns to put my washing up sponge on my bed. This seems to be their way of saying come and wash our dishes and give us breakfast. I don’t let them out and night and I’m not planning to. I’m worried I may wake up one morning to find the sponge replaced by a rat. ?. Seems that cats like these sponges!

Yennifer Fri 06-Mar-20 22:04:22

Lol mine steals my nail files and hides them. She also likes to be picked up and hugged. She is very odd x

lavenderzen Fri 06-Mar-20 22:15:01

Aren't they funny! They sound lovely.

phoenix Fri 06-Mar-20 22:16:15

We have 2 mogs, both from Cats Protection, Oliver Sprout, that we've had for about 6 years, and Minnie, who has been here for a year or more (hopeless on dates!)

I'm utterly convinced that Minnie was a scullery maid in a previous life!

She will "steal" washing up sponges, those steel scrubbing things, the odd rubber glove and the occasional dish cloth.

I got fed up with having to get out a new sponge every time she stole one, so I set up a small box in the hall where I put sponges that were past their best so she could "steal" them at her leisure, so to speak!

We find them all over the house, but mainly in my husband's side of the bed (she adores him, and I think she leaves them there as an "offering"!)

She's weird, but we've learnt to accept it!

paddyanne Fri 06-Mar-20 22:32:17

Our wee tortoishell Rosie steals soft toys out of my GD's toy cupboard,she takes them into the garden to play with and then presents them to me as if she caught them ,After hunting the house for her we thought she must have got out so went to bed with the window open so we could hear her...my husband found her asleep in his sock drawer in the morning.Its a laugh a minute with them ,her sister loves an open drawer too and sometimes all you can see in a room is an open drawer and two wee ginger ears over the top of it

SalsaQueen Fri 06-Mar-20 23:18:28

I love these funny stories! I've always had cats, and one of mine used to bring me little gifts - the usual mouse, bird or frog (always alive), but also pegs, pebbles, and even a sausage from someone's BBQ.

sodapop Sat 07-Mar-20 08:38:27

Lovely story Soupernan sounds like you are all going to have a lot of fun together.