Gransnet forums

Pets

Pet Bereavement During Lockdown

(25 Posts)
Lindaloulabel Fri 17-Apr-20 22:29:36

Sadly we had to take our beloved lurcher to the vets for his final journey.
I don’t want to go into all the details but I’m sure as pet lovers you will understand.
He was 13 and showing all the signs so we made the decision to go.
The vet was kind and very understanding but because of the lockdown we were not able to be with him at the end.
I have always taken my dogs and even found some comfort from being with them but this time I am utterly heartbroken.
I know we were in a no win situation as it would have been selfish to keep him going for our sakes.
I’m lucky as I have my husband who is just as upset and another dog but feeling so sad.

Anniebach Fri 17-Apr-20 22:31:46

I am so sorry, I can understand your distress

V3ra Fri 17-Apr-20 23:52:05

We couldn't be with our old dog when the time came either as we were on holiday abroad. I felt like I'd let him down, even though I knew it was unavoidable after the pet sitter had to take him to the vet and the vet rang to ask my permission.
I'm sure your vet took good care of your beloved dog on your behalf. The vet will have understood how you felt.
So sorry for you all x

Lindaloulabel Sat 18-Apr-20 00:13:10

Thank you
The vets sent us a card with a lovely handwritten message inside so we think he was well taken care of.

sodapop Sat 18-Apr-20 09:30:39

So sorry about your lurcher Lindaloulabel our pets have a special place in our hearts don't they. You did the best thing you could for him with love.
Your vet sounds like a very caring person.

mumofmadboys Sat 18-Apr-20 09:40:45

We lost our 15 year old dog last July. My eyes still fill with tears when I think about her. You did what was right for your pet. When they are old and suffering it is the right thing to do. It was sad you couldn't be there but you had no choice. Remember the happy times with your dog.

Lindaloulabel Sat 18-Apr-20 10:32:13

Thank you all this means a lot x

EllanVannin Sat 18-Apr-20 10:52:47

Devastating is the word that comes to me, personally. I couldn't imagine not having been with my beautiful German Shepherd when the vet put him to sleep. I feel for you Lindaloulabel. x

Ellianne Sat 18-Apr-20 10:59:17

That's so sad, but necessary at this awful time. You did your best for your pet and I know how upset you must be feeling. I hope your other dog isn't too lonely without his companion.

moggie57 Tue 21-Apr-20 15:24:06

make a memory box for the good times you had with your dog. i am sure your dog knew he was loved. pdsa let me be with my cat in february ,just when virus started .they were togged up but i wasnt .though did wash hands before and after.suppose it depends on the vets.you could have had it done at home .but thats expensive. , think of your dog at rainbow bridge .we had our greyhound put to sleep by himself many moons ago, and i still have his picture on my mirror...run pain free doggies.

ValerieF Sat 25-Apr-20 17:30:34

Awww my thoughts with you also. Nothing much I can say to comfort you other than what others probably said - think of what a brilliant life you have given him. Lots of dogs not so fortunate. Be kind to yourselves and grieve for your friend. Sad times for everyone who loses anyone xxx

LIZZIE28 Sat 25-Apr-20 17:35:42

My thoughts are with you. xxx

Puzzler61 Sat 25-Apr-20 17:42:15

So sorry for you Lindaloulabel. I remember vividly taking our beloved pet for last journey to Vet’s 7 years ago while my husband was working overseas. Your precious lurcher was loved and taken care of to the very end - take comfort from that if you can. The pain will ease but let yourself shed tears and feel sad. They are part of our families. Big hug to You ?

grannysyb Sat 25-Apr-20 20:28:51

So sorry, must be so hard not to hold your dog when they slip away. Virtual hugs.

Bathsheba Sat 25-Apr-20 20:32:02

I am so sorry, that must have been tough not being able to be with him. Sending love and (((hugs))) to get through this painful time ?

Dollymc1 Sat 25-Apr-20 20:59:17

Linda, I'm so sorry, a very hard time for you, just made even harder by circumstance
It's heartbreaking when they go, but even more so when you can't be with them
Be comforted that he loved you and had a wonderful life with you
A lucky chap indeed
Take the best care

Oopsminty Sat 25-Apr-20 21:12:38

How terribly sad, Lindaloulabel

I can understand you being heartbroken but he obviously had a wonderful life with you and you did the kindest thing.

Lots of love X

Lindaloulabel Mon 27-Apr-20 10:32:44

Thank you everyone for your kind words.
???

glammanana Mon 27-Apr-20 10:42:04

Sending you virtual hugs at this sad time we so love our dogs and loosing them is so sad but you have obviously done the best thing for your dog and you Vet sounds so caring .I remember taking our old Labrador to be put to sleep my husband took her into the vets and that was the only time I ever saw my John cry .

Juliet27 Sat 02-May-20 20:33:37

The only time my John cries too glammanana is when we’ve lost our dogs.

Doodledog Sat 02-May-20 22:01:24

I'm sorry to hear this, Lindaloulabel.

It's horrible when we have to let pets go, and I completely understand how you must feel about not being able to be there with him. The important thing is that when he was with you he'll have known how much you cared for him, though, and I'm sure he will have done.
flowers

Alishka Sat 02-May-20 22:22:10

and condolences from me too.A dreadful time, I'm so sorry sad
When my little elderly dog needed to be pts, after a few days I needed to commemorate her in some way, so I thought deeply about her character -shy,timid but although she didn't bark or play as such, she always seemed to make her presence felt, so I went to my gardening books and found the perfect plant to remember her by - a rose,pastel colours, called The Queen Mother - and I smiled. And bought. Just right for hersmile

Might you be able to do something similar, I wonder? Hope this helpsflowers

willa45 Sat 02-May-20 22:54:17

So sorry for the loss of your beloved pooch. Our family is bracing for the same, since our daughter's dog is not doing well either. He's been to the vet repeatedly and is now on borrowed time. The death of a pet is heart breaking, but take comfort in the good life you gave him and all the happy memories you shared.
Hugs, Willa

Lindaloulabel Sat 02-May-20 23:02:44

Have had a photo enlarged and framed that now sits in the dining room.
We are going to plant something when we can get to the garden centre.
Really appreciate your kind messages.

Blondiescot Fri 05-Jun-20 19:06:09

My heart goes out to everyone who has lost a much-loved pet recently. We had to let our black Lab, Sid, go today - he was 13-and-a-half and had been struggling for the past few weeks. Fortunately the vet allowed us to have him sedated in the car, so he fell asleep with us - and then they took him into the surgery to put him to sleep for good. It's so hard, even when you know you are doing what is right for them. He was the sweetest, most gentle soul...