Gransnet forums

Pets

Pets self-isolating !

(46 Posts)
felice Thu 14-May-20 15:12:56

We have a few pets here, Dog, 2 Cats, Gerbil and 2 large fish tanks.
They live upstairs officially but like to visit Grandma.
Since the lockdown early March the Cats have hardly gone outside at all. We have a big garden with mature trees and they usually are to be found somewhere there during the day.
Now they just live on the 3rd floor, they look out a bedroom window as we are in the garden, but do not join us.
Anyone else noticed different behaviour in their pets ??

GagaJo Wed 02-Sep-20 19:24:56

One of my cats started 'mowing', or overgrooming because she hated the house being full during lockdown. Necessitated photographs of her nether regions being emailed to the vet. She wasn't any keener on me spreading her legs and photographing her lady garden than I was, having to do it.

Mandyqks Wed 02-Sep-20 18:16:33

I'm ashamed to say that our two dogs post Covid-19 lockdown, who just LOVE to run on the local greens in ordinary times, have only been out once in almost 6 months now! Why? Because our youngest lad, who's very social, seems to have forgotten EVERYTHING he'd learned in his 4 year pre Covid-19 life. Seems he's forgotten his name outside our garden too!
About 6 weeks ago, we took our two out, unleashed them as we used to do for years and whoosh..... and young Thomas was G-O-N-E.... I resorted to prayer to stop him before a main-ish type road loomed close and Divine intervention or not, a man who knew him intercepted him just in time. I had such a physical and mental meltdown I've developed a phobia about taking them out. I enter a true panic at the thought and due to health problems I really don't think my heart can take what becomes one long continuous beat as my heart beats so fast, with breathlessness and feelings of doom impending. I just don't know how to overcome this now? My life's joy used to be seeing our two running free, tongues lagging amongst a big doggy grin! Has anyone else's developed either doggy deafness and/or personal phobias post Covid-19??? I long for those "ordinary" seemingly effortless pre Covid-19 days again. For those of us with mental insecurities and physical challenges life seems too difficult to navigate if like me, they've worsened. And I'm SO lonely for female company having left Australia, old friends and familiar happenings ten years ago. This on top of it is what feels like "the very last straw". Sorry this isn't more up-building but I'm feeling pretty darn fragile.

Hetty58 Sat 16-May-20 07:13:28

My little JRT is absolutely desperate for attention from strangers. If anyone gets near on our walk she stops to try 'Make a fuss of me - pleeeese!'

Goodbyetoallthat Sat 16-May-20 02:07:35

Working from home bernese mountain dog style!

HillyN Fri 15-May-20 22:37:33

The fish in our garden pond recognise the sound of the back door opening and come to the surface looking for food. Normally they would be fed once in the morning.
Since we have been at home and going out to the garden frequently, the fish have been expecting to be fed every time!

CBBL Fri 15-May-20 18:04:34

My two cats haven't changed, but we are retired and only went out for shopping and to visit our friends who have a cafe (closed currently, of course). They don't seem to mind that we don't go out at all, now (Shielding hubby) and seem the same as ever! One (Jack) laid back, goes out and comes in as normal, the other (Bella) an indoor manic fuss pot, climbs all over you and want's attention most of the time!

Tabbycat Fri 15-May-20 15:55:16

SalsaQueen our male tabbycat, who is 15, does that - he's particularly vocal first thing in the morning and from about 4 o'clock in the afternoon, when his tummy clock goes off. He goes quiet once he's fed.
Otherwise he spends his days in the garden snoozing in the sun or finds a comfy spot indoors to curl up on if the weather's inclement. He is enjoying having 'staff' on hand during lockdown to open doors and provide attention when needed. wink

felice Fri 15-May-20 13:51:06

Caro57 we have a Sausage dog here too, but about 4 times the size of yours, he is an original Borenhund, bred for hunting Badgers in northern Germany.
Very nice dog, and from me that is saying something as I do not usually like dogs.

Happysexagenarian Fri 15-May-20 13:43:45

As we are retired not a lot has changed for our dog except that he only gets a walk every 2 or 3 days to limit our meetungs with other people. Fortunately we have a large garden so he still gets plenty of exercise between walks. Though he's probably missing our son and grandchildren. He's also getting more titbits because we are eating more and nibbling more.

Spookwriter23 Fri 15-May-20 13:24:50

My young cat did a runner 2 days on the trot

Twopence Fri 15-May-20 12:31:43

Our cat is acting the same as ever, eat, out for a look round, back to bed, but she is very nervous when it comes to "clapping for carers" on a Thursday. When we come in she is always behind the sofa.

Alioop Fri 15-May-20 12:15:18

When I take my dog out now she gets so frustrated cos we are crossing roads, etc for social distancing and all she wants to do is sniff her friends. So now she gets a big worked up & has started to drag me along, which she never used go do, to get to see dogs which I find very annoying as it's pulls the arm off me. Still luv her to bits though, it's just been the two of us through all this so it's great to have her.

Craftycat Fri 15-May-20 12:13:29

Our 4 cats are in their element. 24/7 fussing time.
TBH they get a lot of fuss anyway as I am home normally but I have just found out that they are going to the neighbours for a fuss too.
Our big black & white boy even told the lovely girl across the road that he not been fed for ages & she gave him a can of tuna- this was about 15 mins after he had had his breakfast- luckily she told me about it & I put her straight.
I know he loves her though & it is mutual so I really don't mind. They have guinea pigs & he likes to sit on their cage 'keeping them company'.

Caro57 Fri 15-May-20 12:11:44

All seem ok and one is ready for the wider world

Lizbethann55 Fri 15-May-20 11:40:54

DH and I usually work part time but are now at home full time. We have two cats and the eldest one is driving us to distraction. He pesters for food constantly but won't eat whatever we give him and it is costing us a fortune in trying different makes. We won't give them pouches of food because of the environmental implications, but it isn't that easy to find canned cat food anymore. We put cat treats with his food and he will eat those but not anything else in his bowl. I would take him to the vets, but it isn't considered essential treatment. Fortunately the hedgehogs finish off his unwanted food. But, gosh, he is such hard work just now!

Sparklefizz Fri 15-May-20 11:20:08

Jacks10 They have all been a much loved comfort during the lockdown - would not be without them!

I have been living in isolation for 11 weeks now and could not have managed it without my lovely cat for comfort and company. She's a darling.

Jacks10 Fri 15-May-20 10:47:22

Our 3 dogs and 2 cats are thoroughly loving having us around all day and night! Think we may have problems when we do start to go out again or go away on holiday. They have all been a much loved comfort during the lockdown - would not be without them!

Danma Fri 15-May-20 10:38:28

My dog is missing family as he’s used to having my grandchildren here at least three days a week, plus visits from ex husband and my sons.
Now when we’re on zoom together he can here them and watches them on the laptop where he can see their heads but then looks for the rest of them under the dining table...

I think he’s bored with just me although we are going out for walks but not to the places where there’s lots of other dogs to run around with

MRGUDER Fri 15-May-20 10:31:42

Weirdly my goldfish have gone to the opposite ends of the tank but I've told them it's still not 2 metres.

optimist Fri 15-May-20 10:22:51

I am someone who goes out a lot and, I assume my Bengal cat sleeps all day. But now I am home she comes down and (loudly) demands stroking. So she is not the aloof animal I thought she was.

nipsmum Fri 15-May-20 10:19:02

My dogs have hardly noticed the difference as their walks have continued. They will be very happy to see my grandchildren when we are allowed to do so though. They miss them fussing and playing with them.

jacalpad Fri 15-May-20 10:17:18

Our cat is loving us both being at home all the time. He spends most of his time indoors near us. Now we are leaving the patio door open on nice weather days he just wanders out occasionally, and then back in to check on us!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-May-20 10:05:30

One happy cat!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-May-20 10:00:46

Our cat is just as happy as usual, but then we are retired and have been at home all the time for quite some time, now.

A neighbour's cat turned up to play with Trold - haven't managed to take a photo of him yet, but think Garfield and you won't be far off. Hope his family have thought up a better name, I'm calling him Mr Chivers for the time being, as he is the exact shade of good orange marmelade.

Juicylucy Fri 15-May-20 10:00:28

Oh yes my dear old doggy who is 15 sleeps with one eye open now I’m home in the day. I’m always snacking and she’s scared of missing out so every time I walk in the kitchen she looks up, normally she sleeps for around the 4/5 hours while I’m out but not anymore.