Gransnet forums

Pets

Pets self-isolating !

(45 Posts)
felice Thu 14-May-20 15:12:56

We have a few pets here, Dog, 2 Cats, Gerbil and 2 large fish tanks.
They live upstairs officially but like to visit Grandma.
Since the lockdown early March the Cats have hardly gone outside at all. We have a big garden with mature trees and they usually are to be found somewhere there during the day.
Now they just live on the 3rd floor, they look out a bedroom window as we are in the garden, but do not join us.
Anyone else noticed different behaviour in their pets ??

vampirequeen Thu 14-May-20 15:16:34

We've noticed some very confused dogs when we've been walking. Most are the cutesy pie type that are used to being fussed over but of course now with the social distancing they can't be stroked because we'd be too close to the owner. I fear that many dogs will come out of lockdown with severe self esteem issues as they try to work out what they did that stopped them being so loveable and attractive to humans.

SalsaQueen Thu 14-May-20 15:18:37

My cat (about 15 years old, possibly more) has become much more vocal since the lockdown. I don't know whether it's because my husband is at home all the time (furloughed), or whether he's got dementia - the cat, not the husband - as our last cat went like it.

AGAA4 Thu 14-May-20 15:32:53

I was amused when walking along a narrow rarely used path I saw coming towards me a very large dog and his man. I was wondering where I could go to keep 2 metres apart when the dog moved into the undergrowth and and the man followed.

They waited till I had gone past and went on their way. A dog who understood social distancing?

3nanny6 Thu 14-May-20 16:05:17

My dogs have just been the same and get walked everyday.
I always used to see the same people and dogs most days (just the regular dog walkers) although in the last five weeks I have rarely seen any of them. I have been surprised to see many different dog walking people with their dogs and now I am waiting to see if the old gang of dog walkers are making use of more time outside.

phoenix Thu 14-May-20 16:14:21

Oliver Sprout & Minnie are loving it!

Mr P and I both working from home, so complete change from usual routine. On my pre lockdown, I was working 3 days a week, we don't have a catflap, so when I went to work whichever job was in or out stayed that way until I came home.

But now, they have their very own concierge! grin

They can be let in, then out, then in again, then out again ad nauseum..........

SueDonim Thu 14-May-20 16:27:10

Nope, no difference. They’re indoor cats so not a lot has changed for them!

Rosalyn69 Thu 14-May-20 16:37:34

My dogs have the occasional play dates with my son’s dog (next door) In his field and have a bath straight away afterwards but other than they are self isolating.

Rosalyn69 Thu 14-May-20 16:38:24

Phoenix - don’t cats just love a door person

seacliff Thu 14-May-20 16:53:16

Ha ha Phoenix, oh yes the doors.

We were taking part in a zoom ukulele group the other day. I suddenly noticed one of our cats looking in through the French doors at me, rather pathetically. So I excused myself from the others, got up and let her in.

Two minutes later, looked again and there she flippin was again, outside looking at me. I hadn't realised the back door was open. I then ignored her, but do wonder how many times she'd have played that game, if I were mad enough.

Fennel Thu 14-May-20 21:00:51

I go out for a walk once or twice a day. If I pass someone with a dog on a leash (they all are) I bend down to give them a stroke if they come up to me.
Apart from a young couple here who have 3 beautiful huskies which pull them along at full stretch. I try to take another route when I see them.

phoenix Fri 15-May-20 08:59:27

Yes they do, Rosalyn69, although in our case it's the kitchen window!

It gets so much use we had to replace the handle a while back! grin

Houndi Fri 15-May-20 09:10:49

My dog going on longer walks.My husband is front line NHs and onchis day offs we walk about 7v.iles she loving it.When he at work she still gets walked but not as long

Grannybadger Fri 15-May-20 09:18:03

I’m a childminder who is working only 2 days a week for one child at present. We have 2 cats who usually just look up when the door bell goes, ( I think to see which child is arriving & whether they need to scatter!). Now when the bell rings they scatter first before looking & are a bit more cuddly than sometimes, I think they are enjoying the peace & quiet. ?

jaylucy Fri 15-May-20 09:23:13

My cat has taken to sleeping in some odd places around the house - in the bottom of my wardrobe, in my son's wardrobe, on his office chair, on the floor by the radiator and the weirdest - under the step stool in the bathroom (I use it to get in and out of the bath when my hip is sore).
We never know where she is going to appear from!

Rosina Fri 15-May-20 09:31:08

Our two cats are enjoying having us here as full time staff. There has been sulking in the past if we have gone out for what they consider too long. They are as usual exiting one door and yowling for entry at the other - and very happy if both are open all day, as they have been in this lovely weather. One has just left muddy prints all over the clean duvet cover...don't you just love 'em? So no, there is not really much change to their demanding, armchair hugging and selfish behaviour.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 15-May-20 09:32:21

No my three cats are indoor so no difference and my two dogs exactly the same

Mirren Fri 15-May-20 09:41:16

Our 2 doggoes are on 7th heaven . 100% Hooman company ! What more could a dog want ?
We live in a semi rural area so the younger dog and I have enjoyed lots of longer than usual walks daily. Our 16 year old girl enjoys a toddler round the park .
We have missed our local beach which we avoided even though it's only 10 minutes drive from our house.
We went on Wednesday though . First time in 8 weeks and they were soooooo happy !

Sparklefizz Fri 15-May-20 09:47:23

My cat has become my affectionate little shadow. I'm retired but was out most mornings before lockdown. Now she is with me all the time and wanting a lot of attention, but doesn't seem anxious, just thrilled. I think she will struggle with separation anxiety if/when I start going out more.

My daughter's cat developed cystitis 2 weeks ago and the vet told her that he is seeing many pets who are anxious because all the family are now at home (my daughter and 2 children are suddenly there all day) and he said that this was the cause ofthe cystitis.

The animals are not able to have any "me-time" on their own which they may be used to.

merlotgran Fri 15-May-20 09:53:39

Peggy, the JR, has always been a good house dog but she goes a bit OTT now whenever a vehicle pulls into the drive, leaping at the door and making a racket.

I think it's because she picks up on our excitement every time we have a delivery.

She must think we've lost it. grin

Juicylucy Fri 15-May-20 10:00:28

Oh yes my dear old doggy who is 15 sleeps with one eye open now I’m home in the day. I’m always snacking and she’s scared of missing out so every time I walk in the kitchen she looks up, normally she sleeps for around the 4/5 hours while I’m out but not anymore.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-May-20 10:00:46

Our cat is just as happy as usual, but then we are retired and have been at home all the time for quite some time, now.

A neighbour's cat turned up to play with Trold - haven't managed to take a photo of him yet, but think Garfield and you won't be far off. Hope his family have thought up a better name, I'm calling him Mr Chivers for the time being, as he is the exact shade of good orange marmelade.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-May-20 10:05:30

One happy cat!

jacalpad Fri 15-May-20 10:17:18

Our cat is loving us both being at home all the time. He spends most of his time indoors near us. Now we are leaving the patio door open on nice weather days he just wanders out occasionally, and then back in to check on us!

nipsmum Fri 15-May-20 10:19:02

My dogs have hardly noticed the difference as their walks have continued. They will be very happy to see my grandchildren when we are allowed to do so though. They miss them fussing and playing with them.