Gransnet forums

Pets

My Dear Old Girl has to go

(60 Posts)
Buffybee Fri 26-Jun-20 08:32:39

I'm sat here with a lump in my throat, after feeding my two dogs. The old girl managed to totter out into the garden, her back legs are so stiff and weak now.
She's been such a good girl, not a bad bone in her body and loves all people and dogs, has never barked in the house or garden and been my constant companion for over sixteen years.
All my other dogs have had the vet come to my house but of course, not possible for her, at least my vet will let me be with her and she's such a sweetheart, she's never been frightened going to the vets and my Son is coming to help, so it should be fine.

Buffybee Sun 28-Jun-20 12:06:50

The young girl was definitely looking for her last night, she was scurrying from room to room and door to door, whining and coming back to look up at me.
I took her for a little walk to take her mind of it and she came onto my knee when we got back. She keeps looking right into my eyes all the time, which I know they do but she came close to my face and really stared for quite a while into my eyes. I think she was trying to understand, I kept stroking her and telling her, "it's just me and you now buddy".
She's bound to miss her, when she came here at eight weeks old she snuggled down in the same bed as her big sister any chance she got.
She's quiet this morning and seems tired, like you said Iam.
Funnily enough, the feral cat I rescued as a tiny kitten, who loved the old dog and slept with her quite often but was very stand-offish with the young one, was walking with her in the garden this morning, instead of hissing at her.
The house seems very quiet and empty in a way, which is ridiculous really as the old girl slept most of the day but I miss her constant gentle snore and her tottering into the kitchen as soon as the fridge door opened.............

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jun-20 19:21:32

Buffybeeflowers I'm sorry for your loss. Over the years we've had a similar reaction from the dog and cat that's been left behind.

She'll be grieving just as you are and just like you, given time, she'll be OK.

Kalu Sat 27-Jun-20 19:16:24

Hope you and your girl have had a bit of a better day Buffybee. The scent of her big sister’s bed will be a comfort for her. It takes time but hopefully not too long until she wants back on your knee again.

Iam64 Sat 27-Jun-20 18:59:38

Same here Buffybee, our young dog went to bed in the dog room, otherwise known as the big utility with its child safety gate (to protect the dogs and toddlers from each other). She slept all night, didn't howl bark or cry.
She enjoyed her long walk this morning. I took her to our dog training group this afternoon. It's only the second week since it opened after lock down. We are five handlers and dogs, rather than the ten we were, and outside rather than in the hall. this allows for social distancing and less risk as we're out doors. The long walk and familiarity of some training exercises she can do seem to have perked the youngster up. It's good because of course, she's exhausted an sleeping next to me, here on the sofa.
The other positive was the amount of kindness and support offered to me. The trainers have known my other dogs for years and our 12 year old was a popular girl x

Buffybee Sat 27-Jun-20 16:38:39

Their behaviour is very similar, so I’m sure it’s grief.
I thought she might cry last night, sleeping in a room on her own but she was fine.
She’s definitely not her usual bouncy little self.
I’m keeping the old dog beds for a while, if it’s giving her comfort.
Things will settle for us all soon, I’m sure x

Iam64 Sat 27-Jun-20 12:45:16

Ahh Buffybee, so sorry to read about your young dog. It's reassuring though, to know we aren't alone. Our youngster has also been barking at any noise, as though she's gone into guard the house mode. She has also chosen to sleep in her companions bed, ignoring her own. The other thing she is doing, is to carry one of her soft toys in her mouth much of the time, then snuggle up to it when she sleeps.
We took her one of our usual long weekend walks this morning. It's the first time she's been running, swimming etc since her sister left us. Till today, she's seemed tired and on the fields, just wandered close to me.
Dogs and grief x

Buffybee Fri 26-Jun-20 23:07:53

Iam64 and Kalu, my young girl is definitely subdued and wouldn’t eat her last meal.
She’s also confused and ‘on edge’, barking at the slightest noise.
She normally comes on my knee in the evening but she won’t do tonight, she’s lying in her big sisters bed.
Poor little girl.....

Furret Fri 26-Jun-20 21:23:01

Glad to read it was peaceful at the end.

Alexa Fri 26-Jun-20 21:04:51

Lovely poems, Flying Handbag

Kalu Fri 26-Jun-20 19:50:51

I too have a lump in my throat Buffybee. I have been in the heartbreaking situation you are going through just now when it is time for the older dog to go.
The heartbreak continued when the younger dog had days of confusion until realising her companion wasn’t coming back. Many shared cuddles with the younger dog helped us and our remaining dog to gradually heal.

Iam64 Fri 26-Jun-20 19:30:50

BuffyBee - how is your other dog? Our second dog is a youngster, came to us a year ago as a one year old. She took her lead from her older, confident companion. Sadly, she wasn't able to see her companion's body. She saw her becoming sick, lying down, not eating or playing. Saw her lifted up, in clear distress and then going away. When we came home, the first thing the youngster did was to sniff her companion's lead and collar, sniffed around her people but she does seem subdued.
It helps so much if the other dogs see the body which wasn't available this time sadly

GranEd Fri 26-Jun-20 17:35:32

So sorry Buffybee. She knew she was loved. ?

Fennel Fri 26-Jun-20 17:30:04

Buffybee - I'm glad that her end was peaceful, but it will hurt for a long time.
Tears here too - we decided that it was best to PTS our dear little sweetheart, border collie, 2 years ago. She had become stone deaf and developed dementia at age 15.
For me, the hardest part of making the decision was because I knew she put her complete trust in us. I'll always remember her smile.

Sparklefizz Fri 26-Jun-20 16:54:35

{flowers] and special wishes for all who have lost their much-loved pets recently.

Sparklefizz Fri 26-Jun-20 16:52:48

So sorry Buffybee. What a sad time you are having. Yes, grief is the price we pay for loving, and your girl was much-loved.

Be nice to yourself. Your other dog will miss her too. Animals also grieve. flowers for you. Big hugs.

Iam64 Fri 26-Jun-20 16:48:57

Sincere condolences BuffyBee, good to know it was peaceful.
More than sorry for your loss xx

grannysyb Fri 26-Jun-20 16:16:59

So sorry, always so hard to say goodbye.

Jane10 Fri 26-Jun-20 16:11:11

Oh. So sorry. What a sad, sad day for you. The good old girl slept peacefully away knowing that she was well loved. sadthanks

Buffybee Fri 26-Jun-20 16:07:06

She passed away peacefully, sleeping like a little fawn.
So sorry for your losses also morethan and Iam64 ??

TheFrugalPiggy Fri 26-Jun-20 16:02:56

I am so sorry that you are having to say goodbye to your lovely girl. You have my full sympathy. I wish I could do more. X

FlyingHandbag Fri 26-Jun-20 15:59:28

Oh Buffybee, what a sad thing to have to do. It is an act of extreme love to suffer so she doesn't have to. I hope these poems will give you comfort. Big hugs. Xflowers

sodapop Fri 26-Jun-20 15:58:14

That brought tears to my eyes Iam64 it makes such a difference to have a compassionate vet.

Iam64 Fri 26-Jun-20 15:50:31

BuffyBee, we faced the same decision earlier this week, heartbreaking doesn’t begin to describe how it feels. Our girl was only twelve, I won’t detail but we knew we were in the final stages of life. It’s the last living thing you can give your much loved dog, to help their final journey to be pain free and peaceful.
Vets aren’t allowed to come to the house or garden due to the virus. Our girl was suddenly unable to stand. My husband carried her to the car boot, which is where she has travelled all her life,. The Vet and nurse came to the car , the ta.ked to our girl, stroked her, made sure we didn’t want further investigations and were kind, compassionate, gentle and professional. They spent 40 mins with us, no rush, they a,so brought scissors and a little bag so we could bring some of her beautiful fur.
I hope your farewell is well supported. It’s a real bereavement x

PinkCakes Fri 26-Jun-20 15:08:54

BuffyBee So sorry. It's always sad when a beloved pet dies. They are one of the family. You gave her a long and happy life x

SueDonim Fri 26-Jun-20 14:04:21

I’m sorry. It is so hard, losing a beloved pet. flowers