Gransnet forums

Pets

My Dear Old Girl has to go

(59 Posts)
Buffybee Fri 26-Jun-20 08:32:39

I'm sat here with a lump in my throat, after feeding my two dogs. The old girl managed to totter out into the garden, her back legs are so stiff and weak now.
She's been such a good girl, not a bad bone in her body and loves all people and dogs, has never barked in the house or garden and been my constant companion for over sixteen years.
All my other dogs have had the vet come to my house but of course, not possible for her, at least my vet will let me be with her and she's such a sweetheart, she's never been frightened going to the vets and my Son is coming to help, so it should be fine.

Nortsat Fri 26-Jun-20 08:35:34

Oh, so sorry to hear this.
It’s a difficult if compassionate decision. ?

Callistemon Fri 26-Jun-20 08:37:35

I'm so sorry, Buffybee, such a sad time that we have to face if we want the pleasure of keeping a pet.
She sounds a wonderful old girl.
flowers

cornergran Fri 26-Jun-20 08:40:44

Oh buffybee, such a difficult if loving and compassionate decision. I’m pleased you’re not going alone when you say goodbye. ?

travelsafar Fri 26-Jun-20 08:47:14

Sad times when you loose an old four legged friend. flowers

Puzzler61 Fri 26-Jun-20 08:57:09

Such a heart-rending day for you, but a very brave decision Buffybee. You just know when it’s time don’t you?
I’ll be thinking of you and am glad your son will be with you.
?

Dee1012 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:01:15

There are no words at a time like this, it's the last act of love that we can do for our pets but it's heartbreaking.
They leave paw prints in our hearts.
flowers

crazyH Fri 26-Jun-20 09:04:23

So sorry Buffbee flowers

Jaffacake2 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:06:21

I'm sure you have given her a wonderful life,you sound so caring.

merlotgran Fri 26-Jun-20 09:08:04

It's so hard saying goodbye isn't it?

You know you're doing the right thing, Buffybee but it doesn't make it any easier. Good that you won't be on your own.

Grandmafrench Fri 26-Jun-20 09:12:04

Heartbreaking Buffy. Hold tight to your wonderful memories which will flood in after the pain eases. Think what a fabulous life you’ve given her and how she’s loved you in return...and now you’re being the best and kindest Mum and letting her go so she doesn’t suffer. Bless you and your dear old girl. ?

blondenana Fri 26-Jun-20 09:15:01

So sorry you have to go through this,it's heartbreaking,i know,i had to have my lovely girl put to sleep last August,
Still not got over it
I'm sure you will have lovely memories to remember her by
I look at my girls photo's every day on a cabinet facing where i sit,along with her ashes

Alexa Fri 26-Jun-20 09:19:10

Buffybee, I am crying a little too thinking of what you have to do. You are giving her a gentle death.

Juliet27 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:19:42

I read that Buffy with tears in my eyes. I’ve had to part with several faithful canine friends over the years and it never gets any less heartbreaking. You and your other dog will need to provide each other with comfort. ?

mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:23:41

Very sorry to hear this, always so very sad when the time comes to let go of our pets but at least it can be done with dignity and is so peaceful. Have stayed with all my cats when the Vet has put them to sleep and in the end the kindest thing we can do.

allsortsofbags Fri 26-Jun-20 09:33:06

Such a sad time but the kindest thing we can do. flowers Don't forget to be gentle with yourself too.

Buffybee Fri 26-Jun-20 10:20:57

Thanks for your replies, it helps that you understand.
One of my Granddaughters came and sat on the lawn with her last night, she’s just text me, “you’re doing the right thing Gma”. Bless her!

ginny Fri 26-Jun-20 10:38:01

A sad time for you but a last loving act. She obviously has had a great life with you and you have wonderful memories. ?

tickingbird Fri 26-Jun-20 10:43:25

I’m so sad to hear this. It’s one of the downsides of having a dog unfortunately. It’s heartbreaking but console yourself with the knowledge she’s had a lovely life with you and you will be there at the end to wave her over the rainbow bridge x

Squiffy Fri 26-Jun-20 11:14:31

Oh Buffy I'm so sorry. It's such a hard decision to make, but you have obviously given her a lovely life and will have some wonderful happy times to look back on. flowers

Rosalyn69 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:27:47

So sad for you and sad that the vet can’t come to the house.
And yes she’ll have a great time at the Rainbow Bridge while she waits for you.

Purplepixie Fri 26-Jun-20 11:37:38

I am sat here having a cry for you. My heart goes out to you and I am sending you love and hugs.

My beautiful tabby cat had to be euthanised last November. She was 20.5 years old and had had diabetes for 9 years. I used to inject her twice per day. She was beautiful natured and my little best friend and I still shed a tear for her now. Be kind to yourself at this horrible time. flowers

Witzend Fri 26-Jun-20 12:59:28

I’m so sorry, Buffybee, I know how heartbreaking it is.
Dogs just don’t live long enough, do they? We pay such a heavy price for loving them, when it’s time for them to leave us. xx

grandtanteJE65 Fri 26-Jun-20 13:00:56

You have all my sympathy, Buffybee.

Smileless2012 Fri 26-Jun-20 13:04:29

I'm so very sorry Buffybee my heart goes out to you. Please remember how much you love her and the happy life she's had.

I remember when the Queen mother died, the Queen said "grief is the price we pay for love", so true and just as true for the animal members of our familyflowers.