Gransnet forums

Pets

what do I do about this - baby gull outside our house?

(11 Posts)
flopen Sat 18-Jul-20 17:23:27

A baby gull has been standing on the pavement outside our house for 3 hours, may be more, now. An adult has flown down and fed them, but it obviously can't fly.
What can I do to help it?
I'm not keen on gulls, but feel I have to do something.

Loislovesstewie Sat 18-Jul-20 18:12:58

The gull will be fine. I live on the Yorkshire coast and it seems that all fledgling gulls do this, they take off from the chimney pot where the nest is and then wander around until they can fly properly. Ss long as it is being fed by parents then there will be no problem. I have seen several gulls on the pavement/back alley at the moment , all doing this.

Urmstongran Sat 18-Jul-20 18:19:55

Oh thats a relief to know! I wouldn’t have a clue about the situation but at least flopen can now be reassured. And me.
?

seacliff Sat 18-Jul-20 18:24:48

Ask Bluebelle, she is the expert. I don't suppose.......

tiredoldwoman Sat 18-Jul-20 18:25:36

Whatever you do , don't go near it ! The mother will swoop out of nowhere and viciously attack you ! You'll end up in casualty .

TrendyNannie6 Sat 18-Jul-20 18:28:37

I’m glad adult has flown down to feed it, I wouldn’t touch it as you never know if the mother or father of it would fly down and attack you thinking you were going to hurt the baby

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Jul-20 18:35:20

If you think that the baby is in danger from cats, foxes etc. The best thing to do is to put up an umbrella pick up the baby and deposit it higher up out of harms way. That is what I did.

Mother and chick doing well. ??

flopen Sat 18-Jul-20 22:32:15

Thanks all. It has mysteriously disappeared

Loislovesstewie Sun 19-Jul-20 05:10:50

flopen , yes they do wander about. You will find mum is probably close by and will swoop down if anything gets near the fledgling. I think sometimes the fledgling is really sort of finding it's wings and is o.k and best left alone.

BlueBelle Sun 19-Jul-20 05:51:22

tiredoldwonan don’t be a drama queen... me and the mum co parented a baby gull for ten days ... they don’t all swoop and kill you, they are an intelligent bird
Babies normally start to fly the beginning of August flopen so your baby is not far off and could have been early born
If the mother’s feeding, leave her to it and only get involved it’s if it’s in trouble She has it under control
I only got involved with mine because if came down my chimney Into my bedroom like Alice in Wonderland

Loislovesstewie Sun 19-Jul-20 05:56:08

I regularly see them when out walking my dog; mum makes a racket to keep people away from baby . I think the noise alone works!