Gransnet forums

Pets

Are you a cat or dog person?

(113 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 06-Sep-20 14:20:49

Or maybe both?

Most people I've met are one or the other, even if they love all animals.

Do you think it ties in with being an extrovert/ introvert?

Jaxjacky Sun 06-Sep-20 14:26:29

Neither, would never hurt any animal, just feel little affinity with any particular animals.

Charleygirl5 Sun 06-Sep-20 14:30:10

I love both but I have owned a cat for years. I am not able to take a dog out for walks.

When I was a child we had a dog which I loved to bits. I felt when I was working and married the dog would be on its own for too long.

MissAdventure Sun 06-Sep-20 14:32:08

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention the not fussed camp. smile

My mum felt like that, which made her all the more cross when she ended up having to clean out hamsters cages, terrapin tanks and the like.

merlotgran Sun 06-Sep-20 14:32:34

Dogs first and foremost but we've also had some lovely cats.

MissAdventure Sun 06-Sep-20 14:35:47

I'm definitely a cat lady.
My heart goes a little bit gooey at a kitten in way it never has for dogs or babies. (My own excepted, of course)

trustgone4sure Sun 06-Sep-20 14:36:19

Dogs all day long.

lemongrove Sun 06-Sep-20 14:41:36

Both, in equal measure.?

Smileless2012 Sun 06-Sep-20 14:44:17

Just like you lemogrove "Both, in equal measure"smile

Hetty58 Sun 06-Sep-20 14:49:30

Both - I've had dogs and cats for most of my life. I love them in different ways and for different reasons. A cat is like a cheerful but independent friend, whereas a dog is more like a small child, that bit more responsibility!

Georgesgran Sun 06-Sep-20 14:50:16

Dogs every time - but have had 3 lovely cats along the way.

MissAdventure Sun 06-Sep-20 14:51:14

smile
How lovely. I didn't think there would be so many in the 'both' camp.

grumppa Sun 06-Sep-20 14:52:03

Dog.

seacliff Sun 06-Sep-20 14:53:17

I love both but if I had to chose, I am a cat person. I have only had one dog, and loved the way she made me have to go out whatever the weather, twice a day. They are good for keeping you active, but they are very needy like children. I felt guilty if I came home late as I knew she would be waiting,

Cats are more aloof and affection is on their terms, but they are still very loving, if they choose you to be their person/slave.

SueDonim Sun 06-Sep-20 14:59:08

Both. We’ve almost always had cats but have also had a couple of dogs over the years.

I can’t resist a friendly-looking dog when I’m out. I’m one of those ‘Is it okay to stroke your dog?’ people. blush

I find dogs are too needy and tying to want another one, though. I like cats’ independence although we have two ridiculously needy rescue cats that would sit on us 24/7 if allowed.

seacliff Sun 06-Sep-20 15:11:11

I don't agree with the extrovert necessarily being the dog owner (assuming you meant it that way round). I know some dog owners who are quiet and introverted.

It is certainly true from what I've seen, that dog owners are always being chatted to and asked about their dogs by complete strangers (especially if it's a especially cute or unusual dog). A bit like a Mum with a new baby.

MissAdventure Sun 06-Sep-20 15:13:28

I've always found dog walkers will say a cheery "hello" when I pass.
The thing is, are they cheery because of the dog, or do more cheery people get dogs?

Ellianne Sun 06-Sep-20 15:25:45

Both, but dogs a little bit more. We are on our sixth dog and each one has had it's own special character.

sodapop Sun 06-Sep-20 15:29:46

Dogs all the way for me as well. I used to really dislike cats but my husband loves them so I got him a rescue cat, I tolerate the cat but don't feel the same love as I do for our three dogs.

Our cat is white with ginger tips on his ears so we called him Boris, that was several years ago before BJ became Prime Minister.

Oopsminty Sun 06-Sep-20 15:34:45

Dogs, dogs, dogs.

silverlining48 Sun 06-Sep-20 16:30:33

We have only ever had cats, but after walking so much these months and seeing people with their dogs we have just put our name down at Battersea. They may think we are too old as well as inexperienced, but will wait to hear from them.
We are looking fir a small/ medium dog which is hypoallergenic. The home is closed at present so will have to be patient.

Poppyred Sun 06-Sep-20 16:36:19

Love both equally.

crazyH Sun 06-Sep-20 16:39:50

Neither .....one starts me off in a rash and the other is too much hard work.!

Yiayia4 Sun 06-Sep-20 16:41:50

I’m a cat lady but like dogs,Dh only likes cats but I would love to have a dog again! although we do look after my sons dalmatian sometimes he is quite a handful.

H1954 Sun 06-Sep-20 16:46:55

Neither for me! I'm very sensitive to cat hair, brings on breathing difficulties and cannot bring myself to pick up dog poo so owing a dog is out of the question!

We visited family just last week who have a large, very hairy, German shepherd cross and the house stinks! The dog doesn't wee or poo indoors but there's just this dreadful dog smell!

Many years ago I lent my vacuum cleaner to a neighbour who owned a Sheltie, her Hoover had packed up and there's only so much you can do with a ewbank. The first time I used the vacuum cleaner after she returned it our house stank of dog! It was dreadful! So, no dogs for me!