Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat Pee & the Carpet

(18 Posts)
Sparklefizz Tue 29-Sep-20 18:45:33

dustyangel

Wouldn’t biological detergent take some colour out?

I hope not as I've already used it. shock

dustyangel Tue 29-Sep-20 18:05:39

Thank you Chewbacca.

Chewbacca Tue 29-Sep-20 18:00:26

Not if you don't saturate the carpet with the solution dustyangel. If in any doubt, try a patch test somewhere inconspicuous.

dustyangel Tue 29-Sep-20 17:58:12

Wouldn’t biological detergent take some colour out?

bikergran Tue 29-Sep-20 17:54:01

Not cat pee but spilled milk in car.

Top came off and there was a good pint went all on carpet in footwell.
I mopped up what I could.

I bought some spray carpet cleaner left it to soak in sprinkled a full tub of bicarb let it dry (had to put up with the smell for few days) then went to garage car wash and used the vac, did the same again and no more smells.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 29-Sep-20 10:16:20

I too advocate bicarbonate of soda.

usually there is a reason if a cat wets the floor instead of using her litter box or going outside.

Female cats, like women, tend to get chills on the bladder - a sure sign is that they stop drinking water as it hurts to wee. This of course is the exact opposite of what they should be doing to get rid of the problem.

Moniter her water intake for a couple of days, and if she uses a tray check how often she wees.

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Sep-20 09:52:29

Yes to biological washing powder.
My aunt who breeds cats swears by it.
Avoid zoflora - several varieties are unsafe to use around cats, as is Dettol.

Sparklefizz Tue 29-Sep-20 09:27:29

Yes, sodapop. She has never peed on the carpet before and I hope she never does again !!!! I don't know what made her do it. Sigh.

sodapop Tue 29-Sep-20 08:54:13

Nothing worse than the smell of cat pee is there Sparklefizz I sympathise, hope one of these solutions works for you.
Now that one of my old dogs has continence problems I am so glad I have hard floors.

BlueBelle Tue 29-Sep-20 07:38:05

Bicarbonate is a life saver for smells much better than all the commercial chemicals

Sparklefizz Tue 29-Sep-20 06:48:34

Thanks everybody!

25Avalon Mon 28-Sep-20 22:01:16

1001 carpet pet stain remover

Hetty58 Mon 28-Sep-20 21:53:33

Try Envii Pet Fresh. It's a natural enzyme spray and the only thing that worked to remove odour and stop the local tom cat territory marking our porch!

Lolo81 Mon 28-Sep-20 21:41:49

My DH swears by zoflora disinfectant to help with smells on fabric. He’s a coach driver and has had some very unfortunate incidents involving all sorts of stains and puddles on his coach and he always has a few bottles with him. Sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda first let it soak right in and then use zoflora and give a good scrub. Also, the cinnamon scented one is lovely.

Nortsat Mon 28-Sep-20 21:33:25

Check out amazon.
We tried Citronnella fresh deodorising spray and Extreme Cat Odour Remover spray, to deal with Ollie (young, ex-stray cat) and his ‘stress incontinence’.

We sprayed the carpet several times with both and it worked reasonably well.
Good luck.

EllanVannin Mon 28-Sep-20 21:31:34

Bicarbonate of soda will usually remove smells.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 21:21:50

Mix a solution of warm water and biological soap powder and gently work that into the carpet with a soft brush, going against the nap of the pile. Rinse off with warm water and leave to dry. If you can still smell it a bit, repeat the process. The enzymes in the biological powder should eliminate odours and remove stains.

Sparklefizz Mon 28-Sep-20 21:11:02

My cat peed in the middle of the livingroom fitted carpet 2 weeks ago. (She has never done this before)

I found it straight away and cleaned it all up, but now it's really beginning to smell awful and I think the pee probably soaked into the underlay.

It's a fitted carpet and I can't take the whole thing up. I have scrubbed it again with antibac stuff, and when it was dry I used Glade Powder, but still it smells.

Any ideas how I can get rid of the smell or will I have to get someone in to steam clean the carpet, which I'm reluctant to do because I'm still shielding?