Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog coat without velcro

(19 Posts)
Holidayenthusiast Sun 11-Oct-20 15:13:52

Can anyone recommend a male dog coat that is fastened with buckles or poppers, please. Almost everything out there has Velcro which catches on the dog’s long hair.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Oct-20 16:07:08

Oh heck. I was sent an advert for a non Velcro coat (it said some dogs are afraid of the sound) but can’t remember the name of the company. I’ll see if I can find it.

Scentia Sun 11-Oct-20 18:10:39

This one has a buckle.

BlueBelle Sun 11-Oct-20 18:13:24

Sorry for being ignorant but why does a dog need a coat they never had them years ago It seems a modern phenomenon to dress digs in coats ....didnt nature supply them with a fine fur coat

Scentia Sun 11-Oct-20 18:22:16

Dogs have had coats from the get go!!
My dog is a single coat breed and could not go out if she didn’t wear one.

Jimjam1 Sun 11-Oct-20 18:57:21

I bought my dog an Equafleece. Lovely little jumper. No buckles or zips. Easily washed. Different designs. Their website shows you how to measure for correct sizing.

BlueBelle Sun 11-Oct-20 18:57:29

No they haven’t scentia no dogs wore coats when I was growing up ??? Perhaps you re a very young gran
Of course she’d go out if you had not trained her to expect one

MayBee70 Sun 11-Oct-20 19:14:43

Nature intended all dogs to have coats like a wolf. Not the dogs fault that man bred them in all shapes and sizes and with different coats. My whippet would freeze if she didn’t have a coat to wear in winter and would catch a chill if she got wet.

sodapop Sun 11-Oct-20 19:33:35

I'm not a fan of clothing for dogs either BlueBelle but one of my dogs a Yorkie cross has a coat which does not protect her from the rain and she ends up shivering and soaked if there is a downpour. The other two dogs would run a mile before wearing clothing.

Namsnanny Sun 11-Oct-20 19:39:43

Watch the very good program on BBC iplayer BlueBelle. Tells the of the evolution of the domestic dog.

People put their horses in coats dont they?

Oldbat1 Sun 11-Oct-20 19:43:50

My large dogs love their outdoor coats. One has long hair and one has very little hair. I also have a Yorkie who won’t move if I try to put a coat on him! One of the large dogs has a bedtime fleece which he loves.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Oct-20 20:31:37

Namsnanny

Watch the very good program on BBC iplayer BlueBelle. Tells the of the evolution of the domestic dog.

People put their horses in coats dont they?

What was interesting about that programme was that dogs are the only animals other than humans that understand the concept of pointing: something that I have always taken for granted with my dogs.

Nonogran Sun 11-Oct-20 20:41:29

Our Boxer wears a rain coat with Velcro fastenings. Keeps her warm & dry in the cold & wet so when we get home she just needs her legs & paws dried off. Saves us lots of hassle with towels.

Namsnanny Mon 12-Oct-20 13:12:50

Maybee70 ... sorry to take a while getting back with a reply.

Yes thats the one, fascinating and informative. I had a lot more respect for the devotion the dogs give us smile

There was an accompanying program covering some similar points that was good too.

Holidayenthusiast Mon 12-Oct-20 14:07:49

Thanks for your suggestions. I’ll have a look at the Buster and Aquafleece coats.
My dog is a rescue Shih tzu who was mistreated and has a lot of anxieties. He won’t toilet in the garden but refuses to go out for walks in the rain. This can result in a very distressed dog at times. The coat is needed to make his life a little more bearable in rainy weather.

sodapop Mon 12-Oct-20 16:29:04

Good luck with your little dog Holidayenthusiast

grannysyb Mon 12-Oct-20 19:30:16

I used to have Great Danes, they don't have an undercoat and therefore need covering in colour or wet weather.

grannysyb Mon 12-Oct-20 19:30:57

Must preview! Cold weather!

Iam64 Mon 12-Oct-20 19:52:56

I've been anti coats for dogs on the basis they have good coats without the need for additions. I did buy a coat for my old cross breed, whippet like, fine coat and as he got older, he did feel the cold. He actually enjoyed it being put on and it was good to see hi enjoying walks without shivering.

That was 15 years ago and my next two dogs were water retriever types so they had undercoats and didn't need any help

I've just bought a lightweight water proof called Lovelonglong- amazon (sorry folks) £12.99 for my spaniel. It has long legs and a zip along the back so easy to put on and off. I Never thought I'd put a coat on my spaniel but whilst I don't mind the time needed to care for her long skirt and feathers, its not much fun for her. She's a good girl, been trained to be showered, brushed and combed, good with the hair drier but, it's the time needed and the effort to get knot and matts out. We used the coat a couple of days ago. She was very unimpressed, walked in an odd way initially, obviously felt uncomfortable. But -despite being in long very wet grass and mud, only her feet and the tips of her ears needed cleaning. I hope she'll adjust to the coat. I wish I could explain 'wear this girl and no need for a long grooming session'