Gransnet forums

Pets

So sad

(27 Posts)
sodapop Sat 31-Oct-20 17:04:41

Our beloved JR was put to sleep this afternoon. His back legs had stopped working and at 15 years old it was the kindest option. Our vet allowed us both to be with him despite lock down issues,
We will miss our boy so much sad

phoenix Sat 31-Oct-20 17:09:42

Oh sodapop, condolences, so sorry for your loss.

I know that you will miss him terribly, but you did the right thing for him.

xxxflowersI

It will be so hard at first, but please take time to treasure the happy memories you have of him.

Smileless2012 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:09:54

15 is a great age sodapop and would have been the kindest option. Be comforted by the love you had for him and the wonderful life he had with you.

I'm sorry for your lossflowers.

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:09:59

So sorry for you, been there and it’s very hard.

So ?, but I know they don’t help you, just remember the good times he had with you and the lovely life you gave him.

Blossoming Sat 31-Oct-20 17:10:06

So sorry for your loss x

AGAA4 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:11:03

Heartbreaking sodapop. So sorry flowers

Grannynannywanny Sat 31-Oct-20 17:11:29

Sodapop how sad for you and your family. That was your final act of love for your lovely dog?

Puzzler61 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:13:34

Such a sad day for you sodapop, I’m so sorry. Our beloved pets are part of our families. You have done the kindest thing as you would not want JR to have prolonged suffering.
You loved him, he had a lovely life with you. Try and remember all the good years you spent together. ♥️

Ellianne Sat 31-Oct-20 17:13:59

So sad sodapop. Glad you were with him.flowers

dragonfly46 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:15:43

I am so sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is so hard.

EllanVannin Sat 31-Oct-20 17:17:13

Aw, it is a sad time for you, so glad you were with him as he'll have known you were there.flowers x

Charleygirl5 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:18:14

So sorry- he was part of your lives and he knew he was loved so much. It is the kindest thing we can do and what a lovely vet allowing you both to be there to say goodbye.

merlotgran Sat 31-Oct-20 17:18:44

Sorry to read this, sodapop

These things are never easy.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:21:12

sodapop our pets bring us so much joy and become part of our family, when their time comes for them to leave they take a little bit of our hearts with them flowers

Jane10 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:23:54

Such a sad day for you. You've had such happiness from your wee lad. Be glad you had him. thanks

Squiffy Sat 31-Oct-20 17:24:34

So sorry to read this sodapop. Pets are truly members of our families and such a huge part of our lives. As others have said, remember the happy, fun times you had. flowers

Sparklefizz Sat 31-Oct-20 17:25:14

So sorry to read your post sodapop. I've been there and know how heartbreaking it is to say goodbye. It is a loving decision to make and JR will have felt loved right until the end. flowers

Grandmafrench Sat 31-Oct-20 17:26:44

So very sad for you - you've shown real love letting him go.
flowers

Georgesgran Sat 31-Oct-20 17:47:34

Between Hello and Goodbye, he was loved, so very much. X

Iam64 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:56:54

Sorry for your loss soda pop, our dogs are family members, we love them and grieve. Helping him leave was the last loving thing you could do for him. Its so good to read that your vet let you both be with him.
We had to make that decision for our 12 year old labradoodle. Heartbreaking but we know when the time comes. Look after yourselves xx

MiniMoon Sat 31-Oct-20 17:59:28

I understand completely sodapop. I took our little parson to be "put to sleep" on 28th December 2017. I can hardly believe that it's nearly 3 years. She was 18!

It is the most difficult decision, but watching our dear little dogs suffer is terrible. You did the kindest thing. flowers

Curlywhirly Sat 31-Oct-20 18:11:37

So sorry to hear your sad news Sodapop our pets are part of the family and it's awful when they become old and infirm. You have done the kindest thing, it was his time and you saved him suffering. Take care thanks

Oldbat1 Sat 31-Oct-20 18:16:52

How very sad it is when they have to leave us. He was a good age and a very lucky dog to have been so totally loved well fed and warm. Be kind to yourselves.

sodapop Sun 01-Nov-20 08:44:29

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts, I know many of you have gone through the same thing. It was so sad to come downstairs this morning and no cheeky little face to greet me. We do have many happy memories of our boy. Thank you.

Gingster Sun 01-Nov-20 08:51:40

I’ve just started reading a book for my club. ‘The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It’s written from the dogs point of view and I think it will be heartwarming .

So sad for you but what a lovely life he had with you. ?