Gransnet forums

Pets

And the good boy of the week award goes to..?

(19 Posts)
phoenix Sun 15-Nov-20 17:45:07

Oliver Sprout!

In the approximately 7 years we have had him, he's never had to go to the vet (fingers crossed it continues that way)

He needed to have a wormer tablet. I took it out of the blister pack, put it on the floor in front of him and......*he ate it!* grinshock

I will admit I was very pleased, he's a big chap and I didn't fancy my chances with regard to wrapping him in a towel and forcing it into his mouth.

On the down side, he has wrecked the only net curtain in the house, at our bedroom window by burrowing under it and the roller blind so that he can keep an eye on what might be going on outside.

Other window sills are available but confused

Jane10 Sun 15-Nov-20 17:49:51

Keep a close eye on him though. When we moved house we found a neat pole of tablets under the sofa that our then cat 'Tam the Bam' had obediently 'swallowed'! He was one smart cat (until I ran him over ??)

Jane10 Sun 15-Nov-20 17:50:15

Sigh. That's pile of tablets!

phoenix Sun 15-Nov-20 18:01:23

Oh Jane10 that is so sad.sad

No, Oliver Sprout definitely swallowed it, he sat there in front of me, didn't leave the room.

He was rewarded with dreamies! (I didn't tell him that I'd run out of the ones in the packet, and had just picked them out of the Whiskas dried food with "pockets", iykwim)

Our late Maurice was a star with tablets, once when he'd been quite ill and needed antibiotics, he would just take them when they were offered, bless him.

Oldbat1 Sun 15-Nov-20 18:08:07

My old cat was the same with certain antibiotic tablets. In fact I had to hide tablets in cupboard. She loved them even though they were foil wrapped. Pink. Synulox??

sodapop Sun 15-Nov-20 19:45:45

Well done Oliver Sprout definitely a good boy.

Sorry about Tam the Bam Jane10 but I did smile about the hidden cache of tablets.

Jane10 Sun 15-Nov-20 20:00:38

I felt so guilty about TTB. It was a dark night as drove home and he'd rushed in front of my car in his haste to reach the fish van parked across the road. He was an old boy by then but even so I didn't ever think I'd recover from the guilt.
My Dad made it much worse. He told his friends in my hearing that TTB had been my faithful friend until the day I ran him over!blush It was many years ago now.

GrannyLaine Sun 15-Nov-20 20:08:18

phoenix everything I have ever learned about cats tells me that your boy is planning something......... wink

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 20:26:49

Well, for a cat, he's ok, phoenix..

You should appreciate that that is praise indeed!

Elegran Sun 15-Nov-20 20:29:45

A friend's dog, left in the house while everyone was out one evening, ate a whole month's supply of her contraceptive tablets from her bedside table (plus most of the foil) The dog (an oldish female) was none the worse, except that she was unusually skittish for a few days, and kept leaping clean over the sofa.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 20:30:34

Jane10 I'm so sorry, but it wasn't your fault.
Cats are a law unto themselves.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 16-Nov-20 11:54:56

Tell Oliver Sprout what a good boy he is. I too have had a cat who ate pills, as long as I served them in his food!.

His brother on the other hand is the kind you wrap in a towel first. And don't ever try liquid medicine dripped into his mouth!

Fennel Mon 16-Nov-20 12:39:15

My daughter sent me this -
www.reddit.com/r/aww/comments/fsm9cp/a_border_collie_working_from_home/
I think he's a really good boy (or girl).

Jane10 Mon 16-Nov-20 14:09:42

Love it Fennel!

Nortsat Mon 16-Nov-20 15:57:59

Well done Oliver Sprout, clever boy. ?

Our vet introduced us to something called Eazy Pill (available on Amazon). Our elderly and opinionated cat Missy has to take 3 tablets per day and it was the devil’s own work to get them down her.

However the Eazy Pill has worked a treat. It’s like a thick paste and apparently is meaty flavoured. You mould a little around the tablet and the grumpy cat eats it like a treat ..
It’s been a life changer in this house.

phoenix Mon 16-Nov-20 16:06:35

Nortsat that could be just the thing for Madam Minnie!

She's a right baggage!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 16-Nov-20 16:36:01

The vet usually does the cat as she can be very difficult (she in cats teenage years) but the dog is another matter. Put his worming tablet on the floor and tell him not to touch it because its for the cat, and I then call the cat. While my back is turned he will just eat it as fast as he can and is then all pleased with himself because he has got one over on the cat!

phoenix Mon 16-Nov-20 17:22:51

Barmeyoldbat grin

Oliver Sprout has just lost some Brownie points for refusing to come in through the front door!

I was just back from an emergency visit to the village shop as I'd run out of locally produced honeycomb ice cream blush and he was on the kitchen window sill.

I opened the front door to go in, called him but got a rather aloof gaze in response.

Once I had put my treasure in the freezer, I glanced up to see him still in the window sill outside.

Opened the window, and he consequences to stroll in.hmm

The kitchen window is the main point of entry and exit for both mogs.

We are currently on our THIRD replacement handle!

phoenix Mon 16-Nov-20 17:24:06

CONDESCENDS!

Damn tablet!