Gransnet forums

Pets

Would it be fair?

(89 Posts)
ExD Fri 20-Nov-20 10:55:49

I had a little dog, a corgi, whish I loved, until she died of old age some years ago. I've become more frail in the interim but would love another little doggy companion. I have always hesitated because of the problem of exercise as I cannot walk far.
I went to a local rescue centre but sadly got the impression they were so keen to reduce their numbers that they were trying to palm any old dog off onto a willing buyer.
For instance, they were very keen for me to take a delightful aged sheep dog who was obviously energetic and playful. I was choosing an old dog because I didn't want it to outlive me.
I know its not a good idea to identify dog traits by breed and mongrels are just as delightful - but what advice would you dog experts give someone with doddery legs about what to look for, and do you have any hints?
Should I settle for a cat?
Should I forget the whole idea?

Hetty58 Sat 21-Nov-20 17:00:33

I agree with Caragran that a terrier could be good company.

I do take mine for long walks but she won't go out at all in the rain. She gets plenty of exercise tearing around the garden anyway but is quiet and fairly lazy indoors. She's content just to be near me or dozing in her bed.

Hetty58 Sat 21-Nov-20 17:00:34

I agree with Caragran that a terrier could be good company.

I do take mine for long walks but she won't go out at all in the rain. She gets plenty of exercise tearing around the garden anyway but is quiet and fairly lazy indoors. She's content just to be near me or dozing in her bed.

Hetty58 Sat 21-Nov-20 17:01:09

(why does it do that?)

sandelf Sat 21-Nov-20 17:12:49

Try the Cinnamon Trust. My friend always has her dogs through them. They find homes for dogs whose owners can no longer keep them (usually declining health or had to move to a care home). So the dogs are generally fairly elderly and undemanding. Good luck.

moggie57 Sat 21-Nov-20 18:45:01

Settle for an elderly cat.they give just as much love as a dog.

hallgreenmiss Sat 21-Nov-20 20:33:31

Septimia

What about a rescue greyhound? They actually need very little exercise - they'd rather sleep! You would need to make sure that it had been house trained as ex-racing dogs aren't always.

I knew quite a frail gentleman who had a rescue greyhound. He walked slowly with her and said she was quite lazy!

MMMMMEEEEE Sat 21-Nov-20 23:53:00

Have you thought about a retired working dog? We had a greyhound who was very lazy and a guide dog who was absolutely adorable. They retire them when they are too old to walk so a trip to the shop and back is perfect.

Bluedaisy Sun 22-Nov-20 09:21:53

Please please please think carefully about the breed you are taking on, many people are suggesting Bichons for you, I totally disagree! I’ve had 5 Bichons, my mums had 2, friends had 6 and daughter in law has 1. They are adorable and I absolutely love them to bits but as I’ve got older (64) I was finding them harder work when we lost our 2 last year. They need grooming at the groomers every 6 weeks as they don’t moult, you need to give them a good brush every other day to keep knot free, you must insure them as in old age their cruciates often go, ear infections etc. They can be yappy and suffer separation anxiety also. They are adorable and I love them to bits but you need to know they can be hard work as too many end up in rescue due to people not knowledgeable on the facts of what Bichons require. Last year after I lost my 2 I took on a little rescue Maltese from ‘Many Tears’ who rescue from these vile puppy farms, he’s 10 years old, he had health problems but they’ve been sorted out, he’s gorgeous but doesn’t like walking so we have a pram which he loves. He needed house training, took a few months but he’s got the hang of it (sometimes the odd accident) a thing to bear in mind with a rescue. How about an elderly dog, there is a dog rescue for elderly dogs if you google it or many tears often have an elderly dog looking for a home. You can always ring them and have a chat, put your name down and they will let you know when they have one. They will also meet you in your own area, also Battersea? Good luck, I hope like me you’ll give an oldie a comfortable home when it needs it most as it’s most rewarding.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 22-Nov-20 14:03:03

Phoenix can they! A friend has got one that’s why I suggested it, hers does bark quite a lot if someone comes to the door, but he’s taken out three times a day and seems fine, he doesn’t moult too much, doesn’t really need to go that far on his walks, they did take him to dog training classes from young,

Shropshirelass Mon 23-Nov-20 09:11:02

I think you might be better with a cat, dogs need exercise and if you are struggling then this might be difficult for you and not really fair on a dog or you. Puppies are hard work and demanding so yes, giving an older dog a home might be nice but they can come with health issues meaning big vets bills. Cats can be lovely company, more independent too, we had a Tom (castrated) who was a real fuss pot, the she cat could be a bit stroppy! Enjoy, whatever you decide to do.

ExD Mon 23-Nov-20 20:22:24

I'm coming to that conclusion Shropshirelass. Not a kitten, but an older cat who's feeling a bit like me, looking for quiet companionship, I've decided to wait until after Dec 2nd however.

3nanny6 Tue 24-Nov-20 15:02:38

ExD
I think you could still manage a smaller older dog. As long as you can manage a short walk every day and have the use of a small garden that should be okay.
I see many people with little Yorkshire Terriers which are manageable a neighbour near me got one from the dog rescue a few months ago.
Also the rescue has quite a few dogs (Older ones) whose previous owners have died and the dogs only want a cosy home to spend some time with a new loving owner.

ExD Tue 01-Dec-20 11:27:23

Sorry I've not been around, but this has been put on a bit of a back burner just now, as an old friend age 97 is in hospital and his wife isn't allowed to see him, so I'm currently spending much of my time on the phone with her trying to keep her spirits up
He doesn't have covid but I fear he's dying although she is certain he'll recover. Its exhausting trying to prop her up when we can't really meet as you would normally - no sitting chatting over cups of tea, no visiting hospital, no care for her somehow.
So the dog hunt will restart after Christmas, when there might be a few 'mistakes' in the kennels??
Meanwhile I have lots of advice stored up, and thank you all for your really helpful suggestions.