Gransnet forums

Pets

Rottweiler Attack

(34 Posts)
Lucretzia Sat 28-Nov-20 14:46:36

Reminds me of a way to stop a dog fight. Which isn't for the faint hearted

Many years ago I was walking by the river at Richmond and a massive dog fight started. Bulldog of sorts against a small terrier. It was horrific. Fur flying, spitting, snarling. Nobody knew what to do. One chap was trying to kick them into the river but got bitten

A young lad was passing on his bike. He got off, foraged for the right side stick, went up to the dogs and carefully inserted stick into bulldog's botty

He stopped immediately. Looked very affronted and his owner was able to get him on away from his foe.

Both dogs survived the incident

B9exchange Sat 28-Nov-20 14:16:19

I would caution the lifting up the back legs, my mother tried that when her dog was fighting another, and her own dog turned round and bit off her finger. We never found it, she must have swallowed it!

Missfoodlove Sat 28-Nov-20 14:09:42

I feel your pain.
My little terrier was attacked by a Staffie off the lead, it was awful.
If ever you are in a situation with fighting dogs if you lift the hind legs of the aggressor it will stop fighting immediately, it cannot bite you.
Obviously this will work best if there is another person present.
There is also a whistle you can buy that will deter dogs, it does work.

Iam64 Sat 28-Nov-20 13:33:07

It sounds as though your anxiety won't be helped by any simple solutions, such as the pet spray sold in many pet shops. Your dog will be picking up on the anxiety as it travels down the lead. Have you thought about working with a behaviourist? They will give you advice on how to remain calm, so you and your dog can enjoy walks together.

As for the Rottweiler, one problem is that dog on dog attacks are not usually police matters. it would be the local dog warden who would keep a careful record of any incidents. A neighbour was recently warned that if her dog wasn't kept under control, she'd be taken to court. the warning was effective. She got a trainer in and the dog's behaviour improved a lot. If a person has been injured by the Rottweiler, that is a police matter. They can investigate under the dangerous dog legislation.

I'm a two or three dog household. I'm increasingly careful with my own well behaved dogs. Lockdown has made our usual quiet walks much busier, its great to see so many people enjoying our countryside. However, many of them seem to have uncontrolled dogs, that have no idea about recall, or simple good manners. The allow their dogs to run up to children and other on lead dogs, often shouting "he's friendly". I responded to one recently, maybe, but mine is a killer - call your dog. Needless to say, the dog didn't recall and my big soft dog behaved perfectly (she isn't really a killer honestly)

Smileless2012 Sat 28-Nov-20 13:15:08

I was going to suggest that you take a walking stick every time you take your dog out Lavazza.

There is a spray you can get, I can't remember the name, which you can spray into a dog's face if they attack you or your dog. It doesn't do the dog any harm but is sufficiently unpleasant to get it to back off.

Our cocker was attacked in the summer by an old dog belonging to a farmer. I wasn't there but she and Mr. S. were quite shaken by the incident. Fortunately she was wearing her 'Truelove' harness which protected her upper back from the bite.

We'd seen the dog several times before, he always appeared very friendly so we were really surprised that this happened. The farmer and his wife were very upset. Mr. S. saw her a few weeks later and the dog had died from a heart attack just days after it happened. I thought at the time that perhaps he was ill which would explain the sudden aggression.

It sounds as if this rottweiler should be put to sleep. It makes me reallyangrythat some owners don't keep their dogs under control as it's the animal that will pay the ultimate price.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:58:58

It¨s difficult at this time of the year, but try not to go out after dark with your dog.

Give him a good walk just before dark and let him out into your garden later.

If you don't have a garden, then only a short walk near home last thing to wee.

BlueBelle Fri 27-Nov-20 23:21:37

You don’t have much luck with dogs lavazza I think you were given lots of good advice on the last thread you started about big dogs and you getting accidentally knocked over didn’t you ?

Hetty58 Fri 27-Nov-20 23:07:37

Lavazza1st, I'd want to know what action (if any) has been taken and, preferably, what time of day this Rottweiler is walked - if there's a regular time.

I tend to avoid early morning walks, except on the pavement, with my little JRT. There are just too many dogs about.

She was attacked by a boxer when she was two. It picked her up and shook her like a rat. She's been nervous of strange new dogs ever since.

The owner just said 'I didn't see you over here. She doesn't like other dogs so I keep her on the lead if they're about.'

It's always the owner's fault for not keeping their dog under control.

I carry a walking stick if I'm going for a long trek. At least I feel that I could distract another dog away from mine, if necessary!

Lavazza1st Fri 27-Nov-20 22:16:00

A local dog was attacked by a Rottweiler. Apparently this dog has been allowed to chase children and has hurt other dogs before. The dog is in a bad way and I hope it survives. I don't know why more hasn't been done about him, but he has been reported.

I am really nervous about going out with my little dog ever since she was attacked by a Staffy when we walked down a road and it jumped out. I was also knocked over in the dark last week by a dog I didn't see. I have become very nervous and need some strategies to feel a bit safer. Can anyone suggest anything ? Someone mentioned a dog repeller to me on a different post, but I'm not sure what to get?