Gransnet forums

Pets

Talking to the animals !!!!!

(34 Posts)
felice Fri 11-Dec-20 13:12:58

The family dog comes down to me during the day when DD and SIL are at work.
I collect DGS from school at 15.15pm and I open the doors to the garden a little in case of wee accidents.
I have just had a long chat with the dog about the time, he is pushing my shoes towards me and wanting the door open.
Last night one of the Cats was here, I was on an important international Zoom call and she started knocking DGS Lego stuff from his Advent calendar on the floor.
I texted DD to come and get her at the same time as telling her to behave. I was on mute but was being asked if I wanted to speak.
Felt a bit bonkers, and got very strange looks from people who do not know me.
Am I alone in this, or just going bonkers ???????

NfkDumpling Fri 11-Dec-20 14:00:13

Of course you're not bonkers. Perfectly normal. I've always talked to animals and found them most sympathetic and understanding. Dogs, cats and horses especially.

I talk to plants too, but that tends to be more one sided. I don't know if it's PC to say it, but I find plants to be a bit, well, thick.

sodapop Fri 11-Dec-20 14:35:38

I talk to my dogs all the time felice you are not alone. Sometimes they just give me a look to say " why don't you shut up we are trying to sleep" tchgrin

felice Fri 11-Dec-20 14:40:04

Thanks I usually talk to pots and pans but this was a bit different wink

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Dec-20 15:12:52

I often talk to kitchen appliances ?

Fennel Fri 11-Dec-20 15:19:15

I used to talk to our border collie and she seemed to listen intently, ears pricked, head side to side. Sometimes she replied with short yaps or whines - maybe imitating?
There's a story somewhere about a man with a sad story telling it all to his horse.

timetogo2016 Fri 11-Dec-20 15:25:32

I talk to all animals,including dh oooops.
I find it quite therapeutic tbh.
I loved the response from my staffy too.
You are very normal.

Squiffy Fri 11-Dec-20 15:35:52

Perfectly normal felice! I think they'll be coming for me soon, though, as I go a bit further . . . I heard myself thanking the cut flowers when they wilted and I had to throw them out tchblush There wasn't even any alcohol involved!

lemongrove Fri 11-Dec-20 15:39:39

Next to having a conversation with yourself ( satisfying as there is always full agreement)? talking to animals is the next best thing.

Jane10 Fri 11-Dec-20 15:47:23

I just love talking to animals. It's embarrassing sometimes in public when I just have to have a word with a nice cat I meet on my walks or a very pattable dog. Luckily, I must look harmless so nobody bothers.

lemongrove Fri 11-Dec-20 15:55:29

I used to have a love/hate relationship with my car, in the days when you had to use the choke to get it to cough into life.I would promise it anything if it started and got me to work.

felice Fri 11-Dec-20 16:18:37

smile flowers thanks folks I knew you would make me feel normal wine.

bikergran Fri 11-Dec-20 19:12:56

Not anywhere near as talking to a pair of Boots!

We used to have two black cats, on a few occasions I had come downstairs during the night with minimal lighting on, so as not to disturb.

Quite often wondered why the cat/s never moved, Once the big light was on all was revealed.

Yes I had been talking to my boots at the bottom of the stairs hmm

Callistemon Fri 11-Dec-20 20:15:15

I talk to plants too, but that tends to be more one sided. I don't know if it's PC to say it, but I find plants to be a bit, well, thick.
shock
Oh no, NfkDumpling oh no, they're not at all thick. They are not very chatty because they like to do their own thing. They won't be told.

felice I now have chats with my new grand-dog on the phone, they ask him if he wants to speak to Granny. He doesn't say a lot but apparently he gets very excited when he hears my voice,

SueDonim Fri 11-Dec-20 22:28:38

We talk to our cats all the time. Why wouldn’t we? grin

I think I reached peak animal conversation one time when I was waiting at the school gate with our Cavalier King Charles and told her to ‘Look, there’s a big blue tractor coming!’ I got a bit of side-eye from the other mums. ?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 12-Dec-20 12:56:12

I have long conversations with my own cat and say hello politely to all the neighbours' cats,

I also greet dogs and their owners and sometimes talk to the birds in the garden, so no, you are not alone and definitely not bonkers.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 12-Dec-20 12:57:26

I talk to my sewing-machine and my computer as well. Don't you?

MiniMoon Sat 12-Dec-20 13:07:11

I'm another who talks to inanimate objects. Alerts flash up on my phone and tablet, on swiping them off, I'm often heard to say "go away", or "why are you telling me this?" Of course they don't reply, but I don't feel at all silly.

Nanna58 Sun 13-Dec-20 20:43:47

Always talk to my dogs. Once, in the park I called to my largest greyhound “ come on big boy, let’s get you home and fed”. A man stood up laughing from a bench behind the hedge and said” that’s the best offer I’ve had all day!” Mortified ?

Situpstraight2 Sun 13-Dec-20 22:03:49

I speak to DDs dog and she makes noises in her throat answering me back, probably telling me to shut up and feed her or take her out.

merlotgran Sun 13-Dec-20 22:30:56

I talk to my dog but I'll always remember the comfort to be gained by talking to a horse or pony. If ever I was troubled I would sit on the gate with my arms around Sport's neck and rest my head against his. He would listen while I stroked his velvety ears and poured my heart out. There's nothing like the calming rhythm of their breath to make you feel better.

Lucretzia Sun 13-Dec-20 22:36:06

I talk to my dog all the time.

She's my wonderful buddy

Listens to all sorts of things and never gets bored. She'll grunt a bit when I ask a question. Clearly trying to answer.

Super dog

Lucretzia Sun 13-Dec-20 22:37:48

merlotgran

I talk to my dog but I'll always remember the comfort to be gained by talking to a horse or pony. If ever I was troubled I would sit on the gate with my arms around Sport's neck and rest my head against his. He would listen while I stroked his velvety ears and poured my heart out. There's nothing like the calming rhythm of their breath to make you feel better.

Oh yes, merlotgran

My friend is a counsellor and she works with clients and her horses. Equine therapy.

Incredible the calmness and relief the horse gives

Bodach Sun 13-Dec-20 22:44:52

I talk to (actually...shout at) my golf balls. But, sadly, they rarely heed my instructions to stay away from the rough/woods/water/bunker...

Ellianne Sun 13-Dec-20 22:45:25

I often talk to my dogs felice and tell them what we're going to do each day.
My cats are French so I have to switch languages when I speak to them or they wouldn't understand!