Gransnet forums

Pets

Returning puppy to breeder Has anyone does this?

(85 Posts)
MollyAA12 Thu 18-Mar-21 15:10:39

We sent back a puppy this week to the breeder after six weeks. We had found the whole experience shattering and the breeder said she would let it go to a lady who already had a cockapoo and wanted another. I ended up stressed and quite ill.
We are both gutted as if she had died. I lost myold spaniel on 4 April last year which was awful and I feel the same again.
I have had three spaniels in the past and they were lovely. Cockapoos are full of octane fuel and will eat and chew anything evenm when they are grown. I have spoken to other owners and they all say they are hard work. We are not young and I feel this contributed to the sheer exhaustion of it all.
Anyone done the same?

Callistemon Tue 11-May-21 22:29:05

I thought they'd be like a German Shepherd or Australian cattle dog, not a dog with long fluffy fur.

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 18:24:55

I assumed they were Kelpies like Red Dog ( a film I loved but can’t bear to watch again).

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 18:18:56

Crikey. I didn’t know that. I did meet someone with an Australian Shepherd pup a few years ago but didn’t google it at the time. I do write down the names of any dogs I meet when out walking so I can greet them by name next time I see them. People must think I’m mad as I say hello and goodbye to them if I bump into them again. If I don’t write it down I’ll forget.

Callistemon Tue 11-May-21 17:10:06

I'd never heard of Australian Shepherds so I looked them up and was surprised to read:

The Australian Shepherd is a breed of herding dog from the United States. Developed in California in the 19th century

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 16:53:45

They are beautiful dogs aren’t they....

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 16:53:17

NanaandGrampy

I'm not sure Maybee was his kennel called Alpstatt?

I'm a little out of touch with the world of Bernese now ( But Id have one tomorrow :-) )

His daughter has taken over now and they’re called Liskarn. They now breed Newfoundland’s, Australian Shepherds and Russian Blacks. Must have stopped breeding Bernese.

anna7 Tue 11-May-21 16:44:48

I have an eight month old golden cocker spaniel and he too is very determined. He has a lovely nature though and he is a sweet little chap. I had underestimated how lively puppies are though , although we have had a dog previously. He certainly keeps us busy. DH and I are working as a tag team at the moment so we get a breather from him. I wouldn't like to have a dog if I was single. It takes two of us to deal with one little puppy. I dont know how we managed three children, a job and a dog previously. Age obviously has a lot to do with it.grin

NanaandGrampy Tue 11-May-21 16:42:18

I'm not sure Maybee was his kennel called Alpstatt?

I'm a little out of touch with the world of Bernese now ( But Id have one tomorrow :-) )

Callistemon Tue 11-May-21 16:30:47

I just found our cocker spaniel on a database and he was a show cocker (I never knew that there was a difference in temperament between working cockers and show cockers in those days).

Even so I will say, although he was a delightful bundle of energy, he was also very determined.

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 15:05:59

NanaandGrampy

The whole breeding for non allergic is a bit of a myth in my opinion.

You CAN get a puppy that has less dander and therefore less likely to cause allergic reaction. But as you cant say what percentage of each breed will be in each pup there is likely to be some that DO have various levels of dander. You've only got to see a whole little of Cookapoos to see the variations in colour , size and dare I say it dander.

If someone took the trouble to test the puppies and then only breed the most non allergenic you might get consistently non allergenic offspring. But the average person breeding the house pet probably wouldn't even consider it.

As an example I bred and showed Bernese Mountain dogs for many year who as a breed had issues with hip dysplasia. Good breeding and great record keeping by the Bernese Mountain Dog Club of GB meant it was a relatively easy process to work out which lines were breeding the issue out.

Do you know Gordon Bridges who used to breed Bernese Mountain Dogs and Newfoundland’s? He lived just up the road from me.

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 15:04:44

I bred a few litters of Blue Roan Cockers and would get people phoning up wanting a golden one even though their previous one had bitten people. I think one in fourteen had to be puts back then because of aggression and that doesn’t include the ones that were nasty but the owners put up with it. I used a stud dog from the breeder I’d had my bitch from and one of the puppies had a congenital problem that the breeder knew about but didn’t tell me. A lot of breeders make money from their stud dogs. I was very naive and bitterly regret breeding from her now. I did the classic thing of breeding from my dog because I wanted to keep one of the puppies.

Iam64 Tue 11-May-21 14:30:41

Nanandgrampy - responsible breeders led to very few/no red cockers with rage syndrome. Apricot cockerpoo are very popular. So many people are hobby breeding, or puppy farming that I’m reading reports of unstable temperaments

NanaandGrampy Tue 11-May-21 11:56:50

The whole breeding for non allergic is a bit of a myth in my opinion.

You CAN get a puppy that has less dander and therefore less likely to cause allergic reaction. But as you cant say what percentage of each breed will be in each pup there is likely to be some that DO have various levels of dander. You've only got to see a whole little of Cookapoos to see the variations in colour , size and dare I say it dander.

If someone took the trouble to test the puppies and then only breed the most non allergenic you might get consistently non allergenic offspring. But the average person breeding the house pet probably wouldn't even consider it.

As an example I bred and showed Bernese Mountain dogs for many year who as a breed had issues with hip dysplasia. Good breeding and great record keeping by the Bernese Mountain Dog Club of GB meant it was a relatively easy process to work out which lines were breeding the issue out.

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 10:09:08

I think Heelers might be this years Patterdale. A couple of years ago I saw loads of Patterdale which worried me as they may look cute but you need to know how to handle them. Maybe I have seen them before but hadn’t recognised them as a breed and thought they were some kind of terrier cross. I’m so glad that I now feel safe having socially distanced conversations with people as there’s nothing I like more than chatting to people about their dogs.

Iam64 Tue 11-May-21 07:47:49

My experience is that the big labradoodles are generally intelligent, calm dogs that respond well to training. Cockerpoos are more likely to be attention seeking, reactive, needy/separation anxiety and benefit from experienced handlers, or people prepared to commit to training groups.

MayBee70, I grew up with Lancashire healers. A farmer gave one to my dad. A huge personality in a small sturdy body. Years later, my parents got another heeler. We have a couple of Lancashire Heelers round here. Great breed but not as popular these days

Aldom Mon 10-May-21 21:56:34

Iam64 My late son's dog was a Springerdor. A gentle, intelligent, kind natured dog. Beloved by us all and sorely missed, as you clearly love and miss your dog. flowers

MayBee70 Mon 10-May-21 21:10:03

I absolutely fell in love with a golden doodle I saw on the beach . It was years ago but I still think of him: he was so gorgeous and well behaved. I’ve seen several Lancashire Heelers recently. Never saw one before and now I’ve seen three. I said to the second one hello Winston only for his owner to say it isn’t Winston it’s Shandy!

Iam64 Mon 10-May-21 20:00:39

Aldom, thanks for making that point. I get fed up with the deliberate cross breeds being called mongrels. They aren’t. My labradoodle was 3rd generation doodle, with excellent working lab and standard poodles in her family tree. Her breeder was experienced with working labs. I had a five generation family tree, complete with relevant health checks.
She was a big, powerful dog with a high prey urge, like many labradoodles. Fantastic intelligent, calm, dog. She loved agility and obedience. She was a visitor to residential care homes and was very popular with young people in our hospital for youngsters with m.h problems. Rip my lovely ?

Callistemon Mon 10-May-21 19:38:42

MayBee70

And some labradoodles just grow, grow and keep on growing!

I met one once when I was out walking - it was huge but very lovely.

Aldom Mon 10-May-21 18:39:17

Bluebelle A mongrel dog is a mixture of three breeds or more. A cross bred dog, two breeds only, with both dogs being pedigree. A Springer spaniel deliberately crossed with a labrador for instance, produces an excellent gun dog, and is not a mongrel.

MayBee70 Mon 10-May-21 18:24:45

And some labradoodles just grow, grow and keep on growing!

Iam64 Mon 10-May-21 18:18:28

There isn’t such a thing as a hypo allergic dog. Poodles come close but as others have said, it can be dander or saliva causing allergies.
Cavapoos, cockapoo and some labradoodles have health or temperament problems. Good breeders work to breed out those problems, by health testing and never breeding from dogs with poor temperament.
Doodles look like Disney designed them. The myths are they’re good for allergies, good with children, don’t shed, easy to train. In reality, you’re lucky if one of those boxes is ticked.

CanadianGran Mon 10-May-21 18:05:30

You made the right decision, and in time for the dog to bond with it's new family.

I feel bad for those dogs that are re-homed at over a year old when their owners realize they are too big and have no manners because they haven't been trained. You sound like a responsible pet owner with experience. Realizing your new dog isn't a good fit early on and acting on it is nothing to be ashamed of. You will eventually find the right put for your family.

Rosalyn69 Mon 10-May-21 17:37:46

We had to regime our puppy after two weeks with a close friend. We have two older dogs and a cat. It was a nightmare. Yes I think I’d forgotten what hard work it would be. It was heartbreaking but 12 months down the line she is happy and well adjusted. We did the right thing.

Callistemon Mon 10-May-21 17:14:43

I don't know.

We inherited a terrier and he didnt shed although he needed a lot of grooming (I did it myself, no such thing as dog beauty parlours then). He didn't like it, though, and used to try to eat the brush.