Gransnet forums

Pets

How to keep foxes out garden

(41 Posts)
polomint Mon 29-Mar-21 23:16:09

Our little jack russell has being going crazy every night around 9pm and barkingvto get in back garden. He runs around mad sniffing. I think he has the scent of a fox as there are woods near us. Has anyone any idea how to stop them coming into my garden at night? If that isn't the reason for our dog to behave this way, have you any ideas on what the problem could be?

catladyuk Sat 03-Apr-21 12:34:25

sorry Lulubelle500, i don't understand your post, will you clarify please

polomint Thu 01-Apr-21 22:44:41

It's definitely a fox! I saw it tonight in my front garden as my dog was barking like mad and I took him outside on the lead thank goodness or he would have been off after it I'm sure. Now how to put male urine in front garden?! Maybe I should try vinegar first

Puzzler61 Wed 31-Mar-21 10:14:17

There is a hedgehog that comes into our garden most nights under a fence. We can see where it comes as it disturbs the little pebbles and lifts the mat to keep the weeds at bay under the pebbles. He/she can keep coming as long as it wants as we know they are becoming rare. ?

Katie59 Wed 31-Mar-21 09:31:31

Just occasionally we have a fox visit, I don’t particularly object until our terrier rolls in fox poo, then comes in and rolls on the carpet.
Not nice

Shropshirelass Wed 31-Mar-21 08:29:28

We get foxes too! I have some Scoot and will use that around the area where the fox gets in. It is supposed to deter them but have yet to try it. I have also been told that human male urine in the area stops them - not tried that either!

polomint Tue 30-Mar-21 22:49:36

Thanks folks...a few good suggestions that I will follow up. Havnt seen a fox in my garden, no poo droppings although I have seen a fox a few times in the stŕeet here. It may well be a cat as some of you have said and you have also said if a dog was around the garden, a fox wouldn't be in. Our dog has just started doing this for a few weeks so I'll just have to wait and see how things develop

Minerva Tue 30-Mar-21 22:00:13

Next door’s dog is terrified of the urban foxes which roam our area unchecked and seem not to be afraid of anything.

We have an alley up the side of our house which the foxes used to access the road and the smell of them was overpowering and coming into the house through vents. Eventually I went into battle and scrubbed the alley, added chicken wire to the wrought metal gate and half way down the alley created a further barrier of wire fencing with 50mm holes which they find impossible to climb. Then I made another barrier at the garden end of the alley. It sounds extreme but after 10 years of the stink coming through into our toilet, shower and kitchen, all is now sweet smelling,
I grow my own vegetables so I made raised beds with bars across to keep the foxes from messing among the veg. My next anti-fox project is to fix 18” high sections of the wire fencing to the top of each fence panel. Foxes can scale a 6 ft fence but not with the wire at the top.
I have tried all the tricks to keep them away - had no idea that Jeyes was a bad idea - but chilli powder, coffee, male pee, anti cat powder etc, etc, are only effective until the next rain shower. It seems only barriers work.

ReadyMeals Tue 30-Mar-21 20:18:49

I don't think the foxes will come into a garden where a dog could appear at any moment, if they can avoid doing so.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-Mar-21 15:42:53

Granarchist

Definitely foxes. rats have very little scent - terriers mostly hunt rats on sight not scent. Badgers are the ones killing hedgehogs - they eviscerate them and just leave the skins - it is heartbreaking. Since badgers got protection we have hardly seen a hedgehog whereas we used to see them a lot. The problem is that both badgers and foxes are at the top of the food chain with nothing but man and illness to control their numbers. The number of dead animals on roads is a good indication of numbers in the wild - so if you are no longer seeing dead hedgehogs it is because there are far fewer around. Loads of dead badgers been run over round our area. They are thriving but at the expense of hedgehogs.

???*rats have very little scent*

Greeneyedgirl Tue 30-Mar-21 15:41:07

We live with fields behind, and the occasional rat visits, which sends our neighbour’s dogs wild. We have stopped feeding the birds because of this. There are plenty of foxes around but they never come into the garden.

Clarer Tue 30-Mar-21 15:24:04

Granarchist

Definitely foxes. rats have very little scent - terriers mostly hunt rats on sight not scent. Badgers are the ones killing hedgehogs - they eviscerate them and just leave the skins - it is heartbreaking. Since badgers got protection we have hardly seen a hedgehog whereas we used to see them a lot. The problem is that both badgers and foxes are at the top of the food chain with nothing but man and illness to control their numbers. The number of dead animals on roads is a good indication of numbers in the wild - so if you are no longer seeing dead hedgehogs it is because there are far fewer around. Loads of dead badgers been run over round our area. They are thriving but at the expense of hedgehogs.

ptes.org/campaigns/hedgehogs/hedgehogsandbadgers/
Badgers will only kill hedgehogs if food isn’t readily available. Generally they eat other things.

Clarer Tue 30-Mar-21 15:20:42

In my old house my dogs used to bark like mad in the evenings at the patio doors. I discovered we had hedgehogs visiting the garden.

Granarchist Tue 30-Mar-21 15:11:47

Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-Mar-21 14:08:31

Terriers are hard wired to kill vermin, it could be rats especially if he is getting really excited. I bet it isn’t foxes.

Azalea99 Tue 30-Mar-21 14:06:56

I haven’t seen a hedgehog in at least 15 years, and we used to get several in our garden, even babies. As I understand it the foxes kill the babies when their spines are still soft. I just walked up the garden yesterday and found that a fox had removed the floating aerator from my pond and chewed through the air pipe. I have six sonic repellers, but although they avoid going near them the foxes find other routes, as the repellers’ range isn’t great enough to cover my garden. I clean the greenhouse with Jeyes fluid and it definitely keeps them away for awhile. If your garden is fairly small I would recommend sonic repellers.
I even have to block up the area beneath my side gate nowadays, as they use it to get to people’s bin bags on dustbin day!
Cute, yes, but filthy and destructive. You can’t keep some out, but it’s a good idea to deter them as best you can. Lions’s wee pellets didn’t work for me at all, but there’s a powder sold in garden centres (can’t remember the name) which you mix up with water then spray around your garden. It works for a while. Best of luck

Amberone Tue 30-Mar-21 14:05:23

Rumpunch - I've done another search on Jeyes fluid and you're correct that it is hazardous and we won't use it anymore. It has the same carcinogens as creosote apparently - which is probably why it smells of creosote! My main concern though is that it gets into the water system and is dangerous for anything aquatic. Which is a bit weird because I did read that it is easily biodegradable, and non poisonous so a bit of research required I think.

Hopefully the little we put down round the fence will be enough to continue to keep the rat out.

Anneeba Tue 30-Mar-21 13:35:07

Please don't block up every little hole in your fences; hedgehogs need to be able to access a run of gardens to eat enough slugs etc. They're great for the garden and do no harm.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 30-Mar-21 13:18:26

I think you are right, your dog is smelling a fox.

Has anyone nearby suddenly started keeping hens, ducks or geese? If so the fox may be taking the shortest route down to the poultry.

I am afraid only a chain link fence that goes well down into the ground will keep foxes out really well.

Horribly expensive, so check your existing fence for holes the fox has made to get through. If you have hedges, you might want to put hen-wire up inside them, but I am not sure that will keep the fox out.

sazz1 Tue 30-Mar-21 13:01:15

My son set up a motion sprinkler to stop cats poo in his garden. It was very effective and would send a short jet of water at anything that moved
The kids and DIL unfortunately got soaked a few times when they forgot to turn it off!!!

Aepgirl Tue 30-Mar-21 12:53:01

Vinegar sounds a good one. Does it work on rats too?

Bluesmum Tue 30-Mar-21 12:18:15

There is a product you can buy called “Get off my garden” - yes, really!!! It’s intended as a cat deterrent and is very highly citrus scented jelly crystals, which you scatter at the entry point, or around the garden perimeter and it definitely does deter foxes as well as cats. We had a lot of urban foxes where I lived previously and whilst I did not mind them in my garden, I did object when they started pooing in my porch and even up my front door! This product worked. You can buy it in some supermarkets, diy stores and garden centres here in the uk.

Rumpunch Tue 30-Mar-21 12:10:43

Jeyes fluid is a danger to other living things evidently and we were advised not to use it.
Male wee does work as does boiled garlic water (? !!) but only until it rains !

Jillybird Tue 30-Mar-21 11:58:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Annaram1 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:47:18

Lulubelle, I don't understand your message. Could you clarify please?

JaneJudge Tue 30-Mar-21 11:36:44

They don't like the smell of male urine as tanith says but I am going to try the jeyes fluid things along the fences too, thanks for suggesting that Amberone