Gransnet forums

Pets

How to keep foxes out garden

(40 Posts)
polomint Mon 29-Mar-21 23:16:09

Our little jack russell has being going crazy every night around 9pm and barkingvto get in back garden. He runs around mad sniffing. I think he has the scent of a fox as there are woods near us. Has anyone any idea how to stop them coming into my garden at night? If that isn't the reason for our dog to behave this way, have you any ideas on what the problem could be?

Esspee Tue 30-Mar-21 00:41:39

Have you recently dug the soil? Newly tilled soil attracts them as it makes it easy to dig for earthworms and the like. You can try spikes on veggie patches.
Do you have a bird feeder? Scraps of food put out for birds are an attraction as are ponds and water features as they like a guaranteed water supply.
They dislike unusual scents. Try asking for used coffee grounds and sprinkle it around the areas they frequent.
There are sonic animal scarers, I’ve bought them for cats but can’t say I feel they worked.
Make sure there is nowhere for them to hide in your garden e.g. under decking or a shed. Block all such areas.
Minimise areas that they may be entering from by blocking holes in the hedge/fence.
Put your outside light on so that you can see them when your dog barks. Watch where they come and go from and block.
They are creatures of habit and if disturbed will move on.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 30-Mar-21 02:55:13

Cats? I swear our DDs dog can smell a cat as soon as it walks past our front door.

tanith Tue 30-Mar-21 08:02:09

Foxes here can easily climb 6ft fences I know it’s distasteful but apparently they don’t like the smell of male pee ?

Puzzler61 Tue 30-Mar-21 08:50:31

Or vinegar.
We’ve deterred foxes fairly successfully by squirting vinegar by the entry point to our garden (we know where that is as we’ve seen it on security cameras) but a new young one on the block may still jump the fence to avoid it.
It upsets our pets and the foxes also leave their horrid poo as a momento.

Ellianne Tue 30-Mar-21 08:58:31

Definitely cats. No fox comes near our garden.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 30-Mar-21 09:04:28

TBH unless you have food in the garden I doubt a Fox would bother if there are woods and fields around.
We’ve lived here, surrounded by fields and woodland for many years and the only time a fox came into the garden was when the hounds chased it, many years ago.
Urban foxes will come into your garden and live under sheds, decking etc. But rarely in the Country.
As to keeping them out? If they want to come in they will get in, as someone has said they can run up fences and walls and they usually scream and cry so no doubt about it being a fox, plus they leave scent markings which smell awful and your dog would be going crazy all day.

Cossy Tue 30-Mar-21 10:39:53

It could easily be foxes We live in a built up town and are literally overrun with Urban foxes We love all animals BUT urban foxes are a pain, they drive our dogs bonkers. We are very built up, rows and rows of terraced houses all backing onto small alleyways, sadly filled with people’s rubbish and the foxes nest their. People who think they’re being kind leave out food, which also attracts rats ! Foxes poo everywhere and destroy all the plants !

Amberone Tue 30-Mar-21 10:48:14

We just used Jeyes fluid to get rid of a rat, apparently it will work with foxes too. We put quite a strong mix of Jeyes and water along where we had seen rat and dug over the area where we had seen it. The next day we saw it come from a different direction so put more Jeyes over there and haven't seen it since. Apparently they don't like the smell - I'm not surprised, it smells disgustingly like creosote. Fingers crossed haven't seen it for two days now. I understand it's not poisonous and it biodegrades so shouldn't harm anything. Although I'm not sure what dogs will think of it!

harrysgran Tue 30-Mar-21 11:01:29

Never heard of the jeyes fluid remedy for rats I will definitely give it a try if necessary last summer ended up paying for professional to come in as I had seen one in garden and I'm absolutely terrified and although it may seem strange I like the smell of jeyessmile

jaylucy Tue 30-Mar-21 11:07:11

If it's a fox, net bags of human hair work apparently - just in time for you to be able to ask at local hairdressers!
It could be cats or even hedgehogs.
For cats try orange peel, nothing you can do for hedgehogs though

Happysexagenarian Tue 30-Mar-21 11:07:19

Our Springer does the same. It's foxes in our garden. They're encouraged by my neighbour's chickens, but they leave their 'scent' in our garden too and our dog loves to roll in it - what a stink!! But I don't really mind them coming in the garden, it's nice to see them occasionally. I just bath the dog frequently.

Daisend1 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:10:14

I do not object to foxes .My problem is with badgers
Not only do they dig up my lawn but use it as a toilet.

Lulubelle500 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:25:39

When I was young if you saw a fox in the day very soon the RSPCA and sharpshooters would come one night because it meant the old in the local sen

greenlady102 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:31:41

when you find out tell me!

JaneJudge Tue 30-Mar-21 11:36:44

They don't like the smell of male urine as tanith says but I am going to try the jeyes fluid things along the fences too, thanks for suggesting that Amberone

Annaram1 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:47:18

Lulubelle, I don't understand your message. Could you clarify please?

Jillybird Tue 30-Mar-21 11:58:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rumpunch Tue 30-Mar-21 12:10:43

Jeyes fluid is a danger to other living things evidently and we were advised not to use it.
Male wee does work as does boiled garlic water (? !!) but only until it rains !

Bluesmum Tue 30-Mar-21 12:18:15

There is a product you can buy called “Get off my garden” - yes, really!!! It’s intended as a cat deterrent and is very highly citrus scented jelly crystals, which you scatter at the entry point, or around the garden perimeter and it definitely does deter foxes as well as cats. We had a lot of urban foxes where I lived previously and whilst I did not mind them in my garden, I did object when they started pooing in my porch and even up my front door! This product worked. You can buy it in some supermarkets, diy stores and garden centres here in the uk.

Aepgirl Tue 30-Mar-21 12:53:01

Vinegar sounds a good one. Does it work on rats too?

sazz1 Tue 30-Mar-21 13:01:15

My son set up a motion sprinkler to stop cats poo in his garden. It was very effective and would send a short jet of water at anything that moved
The kids and DIL unfortunately got soaked a few times when they forgot to turn it off!!!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 30-Mar-21 13:18:26

I think you are right, your dog is smelling a fox.

Has anyone nearby suddenly started keeping hens, ducks or geese? If so the fox may be taking the shortest route down to the poultry.

I am afraid only a chain link fence that goes well down into the ground will keep foxes out really well.

Horribly expensive, so check your existing fence for holes the fox has made to get through. If you have hedges, you might want to put hen-wire up inside them, but I am not sure that will keep the fox out.

Anneeba Tue 30-Mar-21 13:35:07

Please don't block up every little hole in your fences; hedgehogs need to be able to access a run of gardens to eat enough slugs etc. They're great for the garden and do no harm.

Amberone Tue 30-Mar-21 14:05:23

Rumpunch - I've done another search on Jeyes fluid and you're correct that it is hazardous and we won't use it anymore. It has the same carcinogens as creosote apparently - which is probably why it smells of creosote! My main concern though is that it gets into the water system and is dangerous for anything aquatic. Which is a bit weird because I did read that it is easily biodegradable, and non poisonous so a bit of research required I think.

Hopefully the little we put down round the fence will be enough to continue to keep the rat out.