Gransnet forums

Pets

Black cats

(90 Posts)
Moggycuddler Wed 14-Apr-21 12:00:31

Here are my two beautiful little black panthers. When I look at them I always wonder how, in 2021, there is still so much prejudice against black cats. When I first adopted my two (sisters) someone asked me whether the shelter hadn't had any "nicer" ones. Have you encountered any instances of this?

TwoWolves Mon 05-Jul-21 11:00:28

Forestflame, I totally agree. I have been lucky enough to own cats of all colours over the years. But I do have a special place in my heart for the black ones. Here is my latest little pickle looking so proud of herself having taken over the waste paper bin.

Forestflame Thu 01-Jul-21 22:53:10

As stated by several people on this thread, ALL cats are beautiful regardless of the colour. Always wanted a black cat but never found one. My current cat (rescue) is a lovely grey tabby

Aveline Thu 24-Jun-21 18:28:23

grandtante a lovely fluffy boy!

Sparklefizz Thu 24-Jun-21 17:08:33

grandetante So sweet!

jaylucy Thu 24-Jun-21 12:53:50

When we were looking to adopt another cat after my much loved tortie died last autumn, we looked at every other colour that black - not because we didn't like them, but because every other cat in the close is either black or black and white and my son was worried we wouldn't know which one was ours! (He still can't tell the difference between any of them!)
We were lucky enough to be able to adopt our beautiful boy Neko who is a large grey tabby

Puzzler61 Thu 24-Jun-21 12:43:01

Oh how could you not be charmed by that black puffball grandtante ?
Waif no more ?

grandtanteJE65 Thu 24-Jun-21 12:39:18

A black cat crossing your path used to be considered so unlucky in the coal-mining districts of Yorkshire that a miner would go home again instead of going down the mine, if he met one.

Miners swore that those who went down the mine after meeting a black cat would die in an accident.

In most of Europe, black cats are unlucky or warn you of bad luck if they cross your path.

This is my little waif, who turned up here and persuaded our cat to adopt him. I was presented with the fait accompli.

Dryginger Thu 24-Jun-21 11:51:10

Sparklefizz how cute are they!

Sparklefizz Thu 24-Jun-21 11:27:51

Archie and Phoebe as babies. So adorable.

Sparklefizz Thu 24-Jun-21 11:26:18

Aveline

I certainly hope to be posting pics of a new kitten. The litter is due later this week and there's no saying how it will go. Any new puss for us will have to stay with its Mum for weeks so we'll be without a furry chum for seems like ages. We've never been without at least one cat in 40+ years. Please keep posting cat photos so I can enjoy them vicariously!

Oh Aveline I know how you feel being without a cat. I was so excited when I was finally able to collect my new kitties back in the day.

Greyduster Thu 24-Jun-21 09:56:19

We’ve never had a black cat, just one that was mostly black, which we acquired by default. She was lovely. My sister had a lucky black cat - lucky because my nephew found him as a days old kitten in a shop doorway and took him home. His prospects were very poor but my sister sat up feeding him in the night with food that the vet gave her, and he grew up to be a rather splendid animal. He had cataracts on his eyes, but it didn’t stop him being a consummate hunter of birds and small mammals.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 24-Jun-21 09:53:15

Well, here’s Ripley!

Dryginger Thu 24-Jun-21 09:23:51

This is my Reggie he looks like Batman he is 6 and a real mouser which is a pain!

seacliff Thu 24-Jun-21 08:52:53

Such beautiful cats. I volunteer for a cat charity and also foster cats in my back garden run. We definitely find black cats or even black and white cats, harder to home. If we have a pretty grey or ginger one, we get so many offers. Those silly people are missing out on some beautiful pets.

I am confused about the the idea that black cats are unlucky, connection with witches?!! I was given a "lucky black cat " on the occasion of my first marriage. I do think they CAN be hard to photograph well, just needs a bit more effort as people have shown on here. Real cat lovers will adore any cat of any hue.

Aveline Thu 24-Jun-21 08:43:23

I certainly hope to be posting pics of a new kitten. The litter is due later this week and there's no saying how it will go. Any new puss for us will have to stay with its Mum for weeks so we'll be without a furry chum for seems like ages. We've never been without at least one cat in 40+ years. Please keep posting cat photos so I can enjoy them vicariously!

Dryginger Thu 24-Jun-21 08:38:51

Aveline

Beautiful pusses in these photos. I hadn't realised there was any prejudice against them. A friend had a gorgeous one called Panther - because that's what she looked like.
Since the loss of our boy so recently we have our name down for a kitten due this week but we don't care what s/he might look like we just want another feline companion for us as the house is so empty without one. All cats are beautiful.

Oh Aveline. Please post pics of your new kitty when you get he/she.
I love cats and wouldnt be without my boy Reggie who is black and white.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 24-Jun-21 08:10:32

I thought I had posted a photo of Milo, but obviously not! He is beautiful. His sister Ripley is a gorgeous tabby.

Aveline Thu 24-Jun-21 07:58:19

Beautiful pusses in these photos. I hadn't realised there was any prejudice against them. A friend had a gorgeous one called Panther - because that's what she looked like.
Since the loss of our boy so recently we have our name down for a kitten due this week but we don't care what s/he might look like we just want another feline companion for us as the house is so empty without one. All cats are beautiful.

PinkCakes Wed 23-Jun-21 22:25:31

What gorgeous cats! Over the years, I've had 4 black cats (got a tabby now). The RSPCA apparently finds it difficult to rehome black cats, as some fools consider them to be unlucky and even not so photogenic.

Teebles64 Wed 23-Jun-21 22:02:11

I have had 2 black cats, Thomas lived a very happy 18 years in charge of the children. When he died he gave way to Sooty who ruled the roost for another 16 years. We no longer have a cat but are privileged to be GP's to DD's black cat Robert who frequently comes to stay for a few days if she is away.

henetha Wed 02-Jun-21 09:37:43

My first cat ever was black...Jimmy.
I keep dreaming about black cats lately for some reason.

Sparklefizz Wed 02-Jun-21 08:16:08

All cats are beautiful in my opinion.
I understand from the cat rescue place that black and white cats are also hard to home. What is wrong with people? These are my two lovelies - Archie and Phoebe.

Nannytopsy Tue 01-Jun-21 23:33:37

We have had 2 tabbies, 2 gingers (still have one), 3 black and whites, a tortoiseshell and a blue but never had a black cat. DH says no more cats ...

PinkCakes Tue 01-Jun-21 21:08:26

What pretty kitties! They are gorgeous. Apparently, black cats are the most difficult to find homes for, according to RSPCA. That's because some (stupid) people consider them to be bad luck, and also that they're not so photogenic. Ridiculous and unfair.

I've had several black cats, over the years.

Savvy Sat 17-Apr-21 14:08:16

My sister part owns a cat. The neighbours thought it belonged to her and she thought is belonged to the neighbours, lol.