Gransnet forums

Pets

Black cats

(89 Posts)
Moggycuddler Wed 14-Apr-21 12:00:31

Here are my two beautiful little black panthers. When I look at them I always wonder how, in 2021, there is still so much prejudice against black cats. When I first adopted my two (sisters) someone asked me whether the shelter hadn't had any "nicer" ones. Have you encountered any instances of this?

FannyCornforth Wed 14-Apr-21 12:05:23

They are absolutely gorgeous! ?
I love black cats too and don't get it either.
I've heard that they don't photograph well (you have disproved this!) so aren't social media friendly.
Pathetic. People like that shouldn't be allowed a houseplant.

Grandmajean Wed 14-Apr-21 12:10:27

I have a black cat too. He is rescued and we particularly wanted a black one as we love black cats.

Blossoming Wed 14-Apr-21 12:13:28

I had a black cat for many years as a child. She was beautiful ! Love your kittens ?

lemongrove Wed 14-Apr-21 12:14:46

I love black cats, they look so regal.
I can recommend this book for a bit of light reading featuring a black kitten, it’s very funny?
I have kept Amazon going this last year with buying all manner of books, many of which I would never normally buy.
Sometimes a bit of light reading is essential, and am definitely wanting a black kitten now.

Ellianne Wed 14-Apr-21 12:16:21

Lovely photos Moggycuddler.
Our two black boys are rescued cats. No one wanted them as kittens at the shelter because they were black and they were about to be put down. They are French too, I'd better not tell too many people that or there will be two "dislikes" to worry about.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 14-Apr-21 12:29:32

It's sad, isn't it? I remember a couple went to a rescue shelter but drove away empty handed as a cat in their specific colour wasn't available which is a bit extreme. After all, cats are living beings, not fashion accessories.

Nannan2 Wed 14-Apr-21 12:32:38

Ive never heard that in the UK, i thought it was said 'lucky black cats' over here?- i know white cats are considered lucky in USA instead- and black cats are portrayed as a 'witches familiar' at halloween and on tv etc..anyway, our family always had a black cat when i was a kid, and similarly we have too- our one we have had for 14 years next month & he's still sprightly and handsome.

Nannan2 Wed 14-Apr-21 12:33:53

Oh, i had downloaded his pic but its not posted it?

Nannan2 Wed 14-Apr-21 12:34:45

*sorry it has now.i think you will agre, hes lovely.

lavenderzen Wed 14-Apr-21 12:36:43

They are all absolutely beautiful. I have just seen one in the wood at the bottom of my garden with a green collar on - another beautiful creature.

Nannan2 Wed 14-Apr-21 12:37:37

*agree....tut.

Charleygirl5 Wed 14-Apr-21 12:39:42

I love all cats and these black cats are particularly photogenic and gorgeous. I go for personality, not colour.

My only problem with black cats is I am partially sighted so I cannot always see them if they are lying on their tum.

Nannan2 Wed 14-Apr-21 12:44:46

He is very clever too, he gives me a paw for a kitty 'high five' & comes running when i shout 'teatime' to my sons..He's such a softie with the GC too, and he's all of them's favourite- even though they have their own pets. (GD in lockdown- " I wish i could come see you grandma- then i could see (cats name)" ???

Ellianne Wed 14-Apr-21 12:45:33

Bonjour
Je m'appelle Louis. Louis quatorze ...... get it?

TerriBull Wed 14-Apr-21 12:50:54

I love black cats, I had one as a child, I don't understand prejudice against them other than maybe their association to witches, which is the stuff of fairy tales.

I love cats, as far as colouring is concerned my least favourite would be white, but that's just a personal preference.

Alima Wed 14-Apr-21 12:51:51

I hadn’t realised there was a thing about black cats. We currently have two, our own May and our daughter’s black cat Suzie who is lodging with us. Both beautiful and very different.

ExD Wed 14-Apr-21 12:52:53

I have always had Black cats. They are considered lucky in the Uk, America considers them unlucky, and like so many things we seem helll bent on adopting US notions (eg Mothers day and Halloween). Pity.

B9exchange Wed 14-Apr-21 12:53:52

My DS has two beautiful black cats, rescues who obviously had a bad time as they are terrified of plastic bags! Their life was turned around with the arrival of a baby, so spend most of their time upstairs, had just got used to DGS and now there is another imminent arrival, poor things!

Purplepixie Wed 14-Apr-21 13:01:01

They are so beautiful and I love all cats, especially black ones. My daughter used to have a black cat called Billy, he lived until he was 18 years old and a lovely friendly cat he was too. People are just plain ignorant who don’t like them. The are stunning and such great furry friends.

Loislovesstewie Wed 14-Apr-21 13:04:38

We have had black cats and would choose them over other colours. Sorry to my current cat who is a black and white and a proper diva!

grandtanteJE65 Wed 14-Apr-21 13:06:59

I was shocked when we moved to a country district to learn that the prejudice about black cats is still alive and well.

The first cat I ever knew was black and I still love black cats.

I was even more shocked to hear that a man who fortunately lives a quarter mile away, so our cats are not in danger, kills any cat that goes into his garden.

I was worried when our cat, after being missing all morning, in particularly cold and wet weather came home so soaking wet that he must have been in water. I chose however to believe that he had fallen in, not been caught and flung in, as I frankly don't believe any stranger can get near him.

SueDonim Wed 14-Apr-21 13:31:10

Your cats are absolutely gorgeous Moggycuddler. ?

I had no idea until recently that people were prejudiced against black cats. Apparently, it’s because they don’t show up well in photos on social media, although you don’t seem to have any problems with taking beautiful pictures! I can’t imagine rejecting a cat because of its colour.

My son in the US has a pure white kitten. She is adorable and has the cutest pink nose, ears and ‘beans’. They’ve had her for about eight weeks and she’s ruling the roost already. grin

AmberSpyglass Wed 14-Apr-21 13:33:07

I have two black cats and they’re absolutely my babies. Although given the chaos the younger one causes, there might be something to the unlucky thing!

kittylester Wed 14-Apr-21 13:48:36

Our black cat is really energetic, as you can see. His favourite place to be energetic is the window seat in the kitchen.