Gransnet forums

Pets

My cat is driving me up the wall . Help please

(30 Posts)
mumski Mon 26-Apr-21 10:18:48

We have 2 cats coming up to 16 years old who we love dearly.
One just gets on with her life. The other one is driving me potty.
Every morning she starts off, it can be anytime 5/6/7/8 am. Meowing constantly for about 5 mins, walking on me, dribbling etc. Stops briefly then starts again - and again. She has a really raucous meow and not a pleasant one unfortunately. I don't always sleep very well and have been trying when I don't have work to have a lie in. She just goes on and on and on. I end up shouting at her out of exasperation, but she takes no notice.
I end up getting up irritated and tired even before the day has begun. It's really not good.
I do wonder if it has become in-built behaviour that she thinks she needs feeding, but 9 times out of 10 when I get down stairs there is food in her dish plus always cat biscuits and water.
I remember the vet saying some time ago cats are basically autistic and I think he's right.
Has anyone any suggestions. I would be very glad of any help.

MerylStreep Thu 27-May-21 20:26:48

Mumski
I don’t want to sound alarmist but your describing the behaviour of one of my cats ( particularly the food thing)
She had cancer in her jaw. The vet operated but we told him to make the decision whether to wake her up.
She never woke up. She was 18.

Savvy Thu 27-May-21 21:05:00

This does sound like a variety of issues. Dribbling could be teeth related, loud meowing could be dementia, and there could also be a thyroid problem.

16 is a good age for a cat, and its only to be expected that age related problems could be creeping up now.

PinkCakes Fri 28-May-21 07:17:47

One of my previous cats was the same when she got older. She had Hyperthyroidism and kidney failure, both of which were treated by the vet, but the vet said he thought she had dementia too. She used to wake me 6 times every night, not needing anything. She lived to be 18.

You could either confine her to downstairs rooms at night, or perhaps you could sleep with earplugs in. I tried Feliway for the cat, but it didn't make any difference. You may have to just try to live with it, difficult as it is.

Liz46 Fri 28-May-21 07:28:33

AnnieGleave1

Hello does anyone have any tips on how to stop cats scratching the sofas
Advice much appreciated

We bought wide, double sided sticky tape and put it on the bits the cat likes to scratch. It does work to some extent.