Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat flap

(9 Posts)
Dryginger Sat 12-Jun-21 14:58:36

Why do cats sit by the cat flap and meow until you open the door to let them out? My cat does this all the time, then when he wants to come in he keeps knocking the cat flap until I open the door for his highness. Is this my fault or is he just lazy oh and he never says "thanks mum!."

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 12-Jun-21 15:05:05

Probably a mixture of laziness and you giving in to him. We have one of those cat flaps which is linked to the chip in their necks so other cats can’t get in. One cat used it immediately but it took a few days of training for the other one to get the hang of it.

Dryginger Sat 12-Jun-21 15:12:07

Oh our cat flaps the same and he knows how to use it all right he just likes me to be at his beck and call I think. Cats are very crafty .

Grandmajean Sat 12-Jun-21 15:18:10

Mine does this too. He's a big cat and I think he finds it too much effort ! I usually give in to him. That's what I'm here for.

Dryginger Sat 12-Jun-21 15:21:57

Here is Reggie lazy little so and so. He is sitting on his fish tank guarding his fish.?

8Catkins Mon 28-Jun-21 15:06:25

Enjoying my long term foster cat but part of the agreement is a cat flap. She's quite nervous, not too bright and dislikes being picked up so think I might struggle. Any suggestions, please - live alone so no-one to assist with "bait" on the other side

grandtanteJE65 Wed 30-Jun-21 13:09:24

If you once start opening the door for them, that's it.

Why on earth would you squeeze through a cat flap if you can train your humans to open a door?

Show the cat how the flap works, then leave her to realise that no-one is coming to let her in through the door.

It's a battle of wills, so you are unlikely to win!

seacliff Wed 30-Jun-21 13:17:10

Not cat flaps. In summer we often usually have the back door open all day long. That doesn't stop them coming to French doors in lounge and stare/scrabble on glass hoping we will let them in. If we do, they wander in, have a snack, then out via kitchen door.

Half hour later there they are again. What did their last servant die of!

Aveline Wed 30-Jun-21 16:43:00

All so familiar!?