Gransnet forums

Pets

Cats and artificial grass

(12 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:35:38

My small rear garden is block paved because I can no longer manage to do any gardening. Would a cat tolerate artificial grass or would it run a mile? There is plenty of ordinary grass at the front and side, just none at the rear.

Visgir1 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:51:27

I have had it for years, don't judge me (we gave up having to keep re turfing it due to large oak trees and shade).
I have cats not a problem, my daughter has dogs they are fine too Sweep clean and just enjoy.

MawBe Thu 17-Jun-21 18:55:20

In very hot weather I would be worried - it can get unbearably hot, both for animals and children. I know this is not the clearest image but the temps at the top are artificial grass.

Puzzler61 Thu 17-Jun-21 19:09:47

That’s concerning Maw.
If artificial grass is not a contender Charley what about if some of the block stones are lifted and used to build a “walled” raised bed?
It will need filling, and the top would need to be top soil, (underneath could be rubble) but then you could get grass seed and plant a small space yourself for a cat.
A downside is it would need a regular trim but a cat might like it left quite long to hide in ?

Puzzler61 Thu 17-Jun-21 19:11:57

BTW soil depth need only be 4 inches to grow lawn grade grass.

Callistemon Thu 17-Jun-21 20:13:34

Charleygirl
I may not be the best person to answer your query as I really dislike artificial grass.

Can you find someone who would be willing to cut your lawns if you turned it to lawn at the back?
Even if you can't find an individual , there are larger firms which would do that regularly.

Ours is only cut every two weeks, I do rather like a daisy lawn.

I'm not sure what is wrong with block paving but, not being a cat owner, perhaps they don't like it for some reason.

Charleygirl5 Thu 17-Jun-21 22:24:17

Callistemon I am fortunate I have had the same fellow cut the front and side lawns for years. It is all open plan so I do not have to be around when he is here. I do not want to return to natural grass in my rear garden. Tara my last cat found a second home after I removed the grass and as I am considering adopting another in the near future I do not want a repeat performance.

Puzzler that is a good idea as I have two raised beds at present and both are mainly in the shade so it would not take much to grow seeds.

MawBe I had no idea artificial grass became so hot- pads would burn on it very easily.

Callistemon Thu 17-Jun-21 22:35:59

I'm pleased you're thinking of adopting another cat, Charleygirl.

However, a cat might not like artificial grass but, not being a cat owner, I don't really know. I didn't know that artificial turf could get so hot, either.

Personally, I'd probably keep the paving slabs and grow grass in the beds as Puzzler said.
Do cats eat grass?

Charleygirl5 Thu 17-Jun-21 22:52:41

Callistemon yes they do eat grass. When Tara ate grass I knew she was going to be sick as the grass somehow aids that.

Bigred18 Fri 18-Jun-21 02:19:24

My late cat would lay for hours in the sun on a large piece of fake grass on my balcony!

seacliff Fri 18-Jun-21 06:33:23

The raised beds are a good ideas. You could grow just a little real grass, and also some cats mint, nepeta. Cats love to roll in it and nibble it. Bees also love it, pretty purple blue flowers.

Callistemon Fri 18-Jun-21 09:53:24

medium.com/@dollysdisco/top-10-plants-for-cats-plant-a-cat-friendly-garden-for-your-moggie-bb781e104916

The Gransnet virtual gardeners will be helping you to choose pet-friendly plants and virtually planting them for you, Charleygirl!

I vote for a chamomile lawn