Gransnet forums

Pets

I've brought you a present -said by the cat

(104 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 19-Jul-21 10:56:29

Usually when cats proudly bring you a present, it is a bird or a mouse, as I am sure you will all agree.

Mine has done this too in the past, but this summer he has proudly presented me with A CAT!

A young, healthy, adult tom cat, who acknowledges our cat as the elder cat in authority here and treats him with great respect, but quite plainly regards me as Mummy!

The new cat is a stray and no-one has come forward to claim him, nor is he chipped or tattooed.

The old cat looks fondly and proudly on when the youngster cuddles me or marches into the house looking for me. He evinces no jealousy at all, but does insist that he still has precedence and reserves the right to turf the other out if he gets tired of him.

"Out" being a foot or so from the back door for ten minutes - nothing to worry about at all.

Anyone else been given a cat by the resident cat?

We rather suspect our old cat knows he won't be here much longer and has provided us providently with his successor!

Rosalyn69 Mon 19-Jul-21 11:01:33

I’d love if she did. It’s quite heart warming to read this. So very sweet. smile

Aldom Mon 19-Jul-21 13:36:20

What a lovely story. Very special.
Years ago our Siamese cat had a 'cat friend'. The friend cat lived in the village and would knock on our cat flap when calling for our cat to come out to play. They were the best of friends and never squabbled or fought.

Infinity2 Mon 19-Jul-21 13:45:40

Oh you are so lucky ! I can’t manage any pets now but a few months ago a cat climbed through my kitchen window to have a look.
I sat there looking at him and he stared at me. Then he came in onto my sink unit, inspected everything and turned and left.
It sounds like nothing but I was thrilled to see him.
I love pets. It’s been years since I stroked a cat or dog and I’ve been hoping he would visit me again.
I must have failed his inspection ?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 19-Jul-21 15:02:41

How lovely. What a nice cat you have and I hope he and his friend will be with you for many years to come.

SueDonim Mon 19-Jul-21 15:07:26

Awww! ❤️

We’ve had indoor cats for the last ten years so no presents of any kind. When we had a mouse inside, the cats just sat and looked at it. hmm

My DD has a cat but next door’s cat also likes to visit her house, which her own cat isn’t too keen on. Recently, a third cat appeared in her house as well. The interloper cat from next door became a hissing ball of fur and chased off the cheeky stranger while her own cat simply sat there, watching it all unfold on his supposed territory! He’s not very bright, it has to be said. grin

sharon103 Mon 19-Jul-21 15:08:07

Aww, as a cat lover and owner that touches my heart. How lovely. smile

Aveline Mon 19-Jul-21 15:13:05

Aww that's so lovely. What a kind cat you have. All I ever used to be brought was bread wrappers, crisp packets and huge crinkly moths (usually on my pillow at night!)

Aveline Mon 19-Jul-21 15:15:54

Infinity2 I know how that feels. I find myself hopefully looking out for cats to pat whenever I'm out.
After Baz died last month we're really missing feline companionship. Will have to wait a bit until after my hip replacement (next week. Eeek!)

Infinity2 Mon 19-Jul-21 15:30:35

Aveline - good luck for next week. Hope it all goes well and you recover speedily. ???

JackyB Mon 19-Jul-21 15:48:09

We used to have a cat - well, we thought we did. In fact she was the daughter of one of our previous cats. One day she turned up with a collar on. She still kept coming to us regularly, at one point obviously pregnant.

Our DiL said she thinks the other family (who had put the collar on her) was a relative of hers who lived in the next street to us.

Venus, as we called her, stopped coming for a while. But then one day I went down to the cellar and there was a little black kitten with neat, short hair sitting on the washing machine, just inside the window.

We took over the care of said kitten, and some time later, we were presented in the same way with another black kitten, soft and fluffy this time.

We eventually found homes for them, and their Mum stopped coming to us in the end.

We never could keep cats. 6 just upped and left, several had kittens, nearly all of which we gave away. I still love cats but I can't bear the thought of them disappearing and not knowing what's happened to them.

When I was a girl we had a cat who would chase rabbits and hares in the nearby fields. He would bring back enormous hares, dragging them between his legs, and they were sometimes twice his length. My mother cooked them but never gave any to us; it was the cat's reward.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 19-Jul-21 15:48:17

So sorry for your loss Infinity. So many of us have been there and understand.
Good luck with your op, I wish you a swift recovery. It’s wonderful to have the companionship of a pet. I hope you feel able to get another before too long. It would be a tribute to the love and happiness Baz gave you.

DanniRae Tue 20-Jul-21 07:15:11

Really touching story! smile

sodapop Tue 20-Jul-21 07:17:39

That made me smile grandetante lovely story, hope you will have your older cat for a while yet smile

TerriBull Tue 20-Jul-21 08:08:40

I went to this thread first this morning, glad I did it cheered me up, a lovely story smile

Jaffacake2 Tue 20-Jul-21 08:51:23

That's sweet,wish my cats had brought home a feline friend rather than the collection of mice and furry animals.
The worst was a mouse seen swimming in the toilet when I went for an early morning wee.He must have been brought in and dumped in the bathroom then fell from the cistern. I remember looking at him thinking hell what do I do ? If I flushed the chain he may get caught and block the u bend. So with a full bladder I got him out using an inverted bag and throwing it out of the front door.
After work I came home to a wet empty bag on the front lawn.
The mouse swimmer had escaped to live another day !!

Infinity2 Tue 20-Jul-21 11:32:04

Jaffacake2 - you are kind !!

I spent five minutes gently blowing on a moth to dry its wings out, after it fell into my tea dregs.
Eventually it fluttered them and crawled onto the paper hanky I was dangling in the side of my tea cup.
I don’t want anything to die unnecessarily as all life is precious. It’s lived another day ( probably eating my coat in the hall even as I write).

grandtanteJE65 Tue 20-Jul-21 12:34:30

How lovely, Jaffacake.

The last mouse I rescued obviously was in training for the 100 metres sprint. I have never seen anything move so fast out of our garden and down the street!

CleoPanda Tue 20-Jul-21 13:08:03

Oh, Infinity2, I think I like you very much! ?

lavenderzen Tue 20-Jul-21 13:53:21

grandtante aren't animals wonderful. Your story brought tears to my eyes and your story too infinity flowers

annodomini Tue 20-Jul-21 14:42:33

I never thought the entrails of shrews were much of a gift, but that's what my late lamented black cat brought me...until the day he presented me with a whole mole. There wasn't a mark on it and I thought it might have died of fright. I took it out and buried it in the garden with a very cross-looking Sam in attendance.

Infinity2 Tue 20-Jul-21 15:05:16

One of my mother’s cats brought in a large LIVE rat and dropped it in the middle of our kitchen. The poor thing was frightened and making a lot of noise, then it was chaos as we were all trying to catch it ( including the other cats ).
In the end we managed to catch it with ma’s pinny and then she threw it out the back door into the yard.
Last seen heading to the outside bog.
No harm came to the rat.
My mother used to say it wasn’t the rat’s fault that the Good Lord created it a rat. She wouldn’t get the rat man out. As long as everything stayed outside she didn’t mind.
It was probably someone like my mother that caused the Black Death.

dustyangel Tue 20-Jul-21 15:57:35

It was probably someone like my mother that caused the Black Death.
????

SueDonim Tue 20-Jul-21 19:45:58

It was probably someone like my mother that caused the Black Death. ??

Annodomini, you were supposed to cook the mole for his supper! No wonder he was disgruntled. grin

Infinity2 Tue 20-Jul-21 22:12:19

Annodomini - how ungrateful you are not to be delighted by the mole offering !

Speaking of which ( or near enough ) I was once visiting a stately home and nearly got hit on the head by a dead shrew that was dropped on me from a great height. Presumably by some kind of bird ( in case you thought the resident Earl was trying to get rid of me and the other paying riff raff by throwing small dead mammals at them, obviously keeping a collection of deceased creatures for just such an occasion).
I was very lucky as if it had hit me it could have taken my eye out. And it was much smaller than I expected it to be. The shrew, not my eye. Not that I was actually expecting it at all.