Gransnet forums

Pets

Older Dog has started barking at night

(57 Posts)
Maya1 Tue 14-Sep-21 17:49:00

Please can anyone give me advice. Our border collie is 10 years old and has just started barking at night. We have tried leaving him but he won't stop until one of us comes down to sleep on the sofa.
Once we do this, he goes straight back to sleep.
He doesn't want to go out.
He is afraid of stairs, so we are unable to get him upstairs with us. Does anyone have a clue what is wrong with him please?

highlanddreams Tue 28-Sep-21 19:06:21

I hope the Dorwest things help, we also have the tree barks powder & have only had to use it once so far luckily but it worked quickly, so it's a good one to have on hand I feel.
It is distressing to see them poorly & confused, it happened to one of my dogs a few years back, not the night barking but the 4am waking and wanting to go out and sit in the garden was something he liked to do all of a sudden. Other times he'd go and spend time outside and then come indoors to do his business. I never told him off, I just cleaned up without a word and then gave him a cuddle,because he couldn't help it & needed re-sassuring. Give your lovely dog a cuddle from me, I hope things improve for you both soon .

Susysue Wed 29-Sep-21 16:45:43

Good luck maya1, so very hard to watch our beloved doggies getting old and infirm, just heartbreaking but we love them dearly xx

Shandy57 Wed 29-Sep-21 17:04:26

Good luck Mayal, I wish I had a magic wand for all of our pets. Your dog is lucky to have you.

Maya1 Thu 30-Sep-21 11:12:36

Thank you highlanddreams, Susysue, Shandy57,
Finn is getting extra cuddles and being told what a good boy he is. It was 2.30 am this morning when l got a big wet kiss and a nudge to say wake up mum, l want to go out.
Just taking it day by day because as you all say what else can l do.

Markulous Sat 02-Oct-21 14:21:08

Many years ago we had a Bouvier des Flandres, Zeke, who started barking at night (he was 12). Tried a few things with no success, then I thought I'd try a light. Had a plug-in security device that switched a socket on if there was noise - plugged a light into that and success! He'd obviously become scared of the dark, maybe with a reduction in sight (never displayed any loss of sight but would make sense). So maybe leave a night light on?
Pic of Zeke attached

Dogsmakemesmile Sat 02-Oct-21 17:35:14

Mayal - what a lovely dog owner (if you consider it owning) you are. Will keep fingers crossed for you.
Markulous - what a beautiful dog . I have never heard of that breed.