Gransnet forums

Pets

Harvest Mites

(42 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Sep-21 19:57:12

I reckon our dog has picked some up whilst we were on holiday walking in woods.

They are driving him and us mad, so I will potter him to the vets on Monday.

Meantime does anyone have a suggested remedy for terrible itching 24/7? ?

MayBee70 Tue 21-Sep-21 10:00:46

I’d still phone your vets and ask them if you can give him piriton along with his medication.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Sep-21 06:34:40

I actually did that with white vinegar, and whether it is coincidence or not although he is still itchy it is definitely better, so I’ve put off the vets unless it gets worse again, but hoping not.

Will give his paws another cool soak today. And a gentle sponge in his neither regions with cotton wool soaked in the solution. He always looks surprised when I do that??

Neen Tue 21-Sep-21 00:03:49

How's the dog ? I just googled it incase it happens to ours and it says

Simply combine a mixture of 50 percent apple cider vinegar and 50 percent water in a clean spray bottle, then spray your dog's itchy spots with the solution.2 If your dog's paws are irritated, you can use the mixture for a nice, relaxing paw soak for up to five minutes.

Now I know .. hope he's ok x

Katie59 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:54:53

Had a bite which was driving me mad about a month ago so took a Pirotin then stretched out on the sun lounger.
No a good idea I woke up 2 hours later a red as a beetroot with sunburn - another lesson learned, the bite was no bother after that!.

MayBee70 Sun 19-Sep-21 22:15:12

Check out Stinky Stuff. They do it for humans now as well. I’m going to get some.

MamaCaz Sun 19-Sep-21 19:08:26

I don't think it's just dogs that have this problem.

For over ten years now, I have suffered horribly red, itchy bites every summer after being in the garden or on the allotment. (The first summer this started, I had over 50 bites at the same time!)
My research eventually identified harvest mites as the most likely culprit, and my GP had no better suggestions.

They are so tiny that I've yet to actually see one, but they climb out of the grass and find a way under the clothing before settling, then biting, under the tightest-fitting areas, such as under the elasticated parts of underwear!

The only thing I've found that helps is to shower and change clothing as soon as I come indoors, to wash them off before they have time to bite. I haven't found anything that relieves the awful itching of the bites once they appear.

Maybe a hot bath for dogs immediately after each walk would help in the same way, actually preventing the bites rather than trying to treat them after they've happened?
Unless it is happening in your own garden, that is.

If you do find something that relieves the itching, please do let me know, as I would like to try it myself ?

MayBee70 Sun 19-Sep-21 14:33:14

I wonder if Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream would help. She developed a lot of her cream to use on her horses I believe!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 13:52:15

Thuja is a fir tree I think?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 13:49:02

Thuja Cream. I’ll get that I think.

MayBee70 Sun 19-Sep-21 13:24:46

That’s worth knowing. I’ve never heard of it but it looks like a medicine box essential.

Maya1 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:57:16

Whitewavemark2, Thuja Cream is an entirely natural remedy.
I use it on our Border Collie for his itchy, dry skin and any hot spots he gets. Also got rid of his wart.
It doesn't matter if he licks it off as it cannot harm them.
I get it online, not sure if Pets at Home have it. 150g start at £15.00. Lasts for ages.

seacliff Sun 19-Sep-21 06:37:47

Two of our cats have been getting them for about the last 5 years. We're in North Suffolk surrounded by arable land and lots of long grass. Our cats love wandering, I think long grass is the problem. Never come across them before that. We've tried everything at the vets, injection works for a short while. Ours suffer for at least 2 months and scratch their tummy raw, and have wounds around ears and between paws. The creme seems to work best, it's a real pain. If you're in a normal garden I think you're less likely to have them.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 06:15:49

Fennel

ps @ Whitewave where we you walking?
If further north than SW France it seems to be another result of global warming.

We spent a week in Worcestershire - tucked away in a converted barn totally on our own but with temperatures of 28+c - absolutely glorious walking through fields and woods for shade.

That’s where he picked them up I reckon.

MayBee70 Sat 18-Sep-21 23:29:16

I’ve just looked at the Stinky Stuff site and it does say it’s effective against mites.

Grandmafrench Sat 18-Sep-21 22:55:01

Your Vet should be able to give him something to calm his skin right down - a cortisone injection or similar. Here in France, the aoutâts/'ootah' or chiggers/harvest mites/berry bugs are a nightmare in August. I've had them so I've certainly felt sorry for my dogs. Fennel, you'll know what I mean.

If you look between your dog's claws, in the groin or behind the ears, it's sometimes possible to see a small gingery/reddish spot on the skin which will be made up of many many tiny mites, less than the size of a pin. They can cluster together sufficiently to make them quite visible on a dog - especially one with a pale coat.

I asked my Vet one year, when he treated my dog, if there was something he could recommend for me. Having admitted that I just wanted to keep on scratching, the Vet admitted he felt the same. But no simple, guaranteed. treatment for humans at that time. He provided our dogs with a special shampoo to be administered in the shower and that worked and got rid of the problem. Also a calming injection to start.

For yourself, don't sit on the grass and if you go for walks in the woods or any grassy spaces, put your clothes in the washing machine afterwards and make sure you dry them in a tumble dryer or iron them before putting them away. This does reduce any risk of them spreading. They're really miserable little biters for a few days when, if you see a line of pimply bites on your own self, they'll be in warm, dark places such as underarm, underboob, groin areas.

I've tried so many anti-itch creams and similar dog products for the dogs. but without much success. I think it's easier and safer to speak to the Vet, especially if your dog is, like mine, already on some regular medications.

MayBee70 Sat 18-Sep-21 22:37:37

We have piriton with us at all times because whippets can react really badly to wasp stings. I’m going to start giving my dog turmeric. I gave it to my last dog because she had a tumour but I’m going start this one on it now. I take it myself. I think Avon Skin So Soft might deter harvest mites as well as mozzies. There was this massive spider in the room the other night which I couldn’t you catch so I covered myself in the citronella spray my daughter bought me to put on the dog to deter ticks. I feel bombarded by viruses and creepy crawlers at the moment!

25Avalon Sat 18-Sep-21 22:31:50

I had never heard of it until my Belgian vet told me it was very common in France. My dog scratched herself to bits so I let her sleep in my room and yelled at her every time she started to scratch. Poor dear didn’t want to disobey. I didn’t get much sleep. She is no longer with us sadly. I had such a rapport with her.

Fridayschild Sat 18-Sep-21 22:17:10

This may be of help

Fennel Sat 18-Sep-21 22:10:27

ps @ Whitewave where we you walking?
If further north than SW France it seems to be another result of global warming.

Fennel Sat 18-Sep-21 22:02:31

This brough back memories of when we were in France. Les Auoutats !
IE the august bugs. they attack humans too. and make extremely itchy spots.
For us, the only protection is to cover up outside and avoid long grass. But dogs won't like that.
I think there are preventative sprays.

25Avalon Sat 18-Sep-21 21:49:57

Seacliff had to ferret around on the link to find the article you refer to. It is all about horses and treatment but I guess there isn’t a great deal of difference. You use Sudacreme on your cat but it says NOT to use it. Regarding hibiscrub the problem is where it is not watered down sufficiently. It should be so dilute the colour disappears. This concurs with what my holistic vet told me.

If worried witchhazel is another substance that can be applied.you can also mix a little turmeric with water to form a paste. It is unlikely your dog will eat this but if it does it is good for boosting their internal immune system.

MayBee70 Sat 18-Sep-21 21:36:40

I’d never heard of problems with harvest mites till I read about them a couple of days ago. It said to use Stinky Stuff but I think that was as a preventative. They sound really nasty.

seacliff Sat 18-Sep-21 21:35:21

We were advised not to use hibiscrub, especially on open wounds like you get with Harvest Mites. www.kbis.co.uk/veterinary-advice/rethinking-hibiscrub/m.

The Sudocreme is better in my opinion.

MiniMoon Sat 18-Sep-21 21:34:42

The Vet thought our terrier was allergic to harvest mites. Spot On helped, but his advice was to keep away from the fields in the summer.
We walked her around the Town or along by the river, using the walkers footpath and keeping away from the grass.

seacliff Sat 18-Sep-21 21:25:19

Sudocreme works for our poor cat. I put it on the bad area, not too liberally, it seems to relieve itching. Just one of our cats get affected so badly every year.

There is no real drug that stops it properly. We spray fipronil flea spray on a glove and rub around his ears and neck.