Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog rescued by a drone with a sausage

(57 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 20-Jan-22 19:26:55

Who'd have thought. A Jack Russell whippet cross got stranded on mudflats after slipping her lead. Police, firefighters and coastguards weren't able to get her. They'd used drones and someone had the bright idea of attaching a sausage to a drone in the hope that she would follow the scent. And she did.

Today's good news I think.

Oofy Sat 22-Jan-22 19:39:56

I can echo the variable recall pooch. Ours is a pampered cocker spaniel, no excuse of being a rescue (in fact the only rescue we owned, a few years ago, was great at recall, he never let us out of his sight in case we disappeared).
The spaniel is terrific at recall in the house, and in a big hall at training classes with plenty of treats, our training teacher advocates bits of frankfurter, but take her out in the park and let her off the lead and she is off like a winky. We even tried extra classes just for recall, with small numbers of “pupils”. Great in the classes, but outside…………..

GreyKnitter Sat 22-Jan-22 20:17:55

That was close to where I live. We’re been following the story on the local Facebook page for a couple of days. Such a great result.

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jan-22 20:29:46

Josieann

^JosieannI had one who was perfect during training but had selective hearing too. He took after DH.^

Callistemon do you entice your husband with sausages then?!

Of course, Josiaeann!

Actually, he has got better at cooking over the years and can do a mean sausage and mash with onion gravy.
It's the onion gravy which is my recall treat.

sodapop Sat 22-Jan-22 21:44:04

I love onion gravy as well, sausages are secondary for me. smile

madeleine45 Sun 23-Jan-22 03:03:09

After the adventure I expect she felt a little "ruff"

Shropshirelass Sun 23-Jan-22 10:24:35

Drones have their uses! They are being used more and more to locate lost pets, even humans in some cases. They can so easily check difficult terrain. My dogs will do anything for a bit of sausage! ?