Gransnet forums

Pets

The Spring ritual - life with Joey the tortoise...

(23 Posts)
Trisha57 Sun 03-Apr-22 19:31:28

Well, she came out of hibernation a week ago - hooray! The weather had warmed up considerably and I heard her scraping around in her kennel in the garage (yes, she has a small kennel because she is far too big to fit into those silly little tortoise houses!) So out she came, had a lovely warm bath and a nibble on her favourite early dandelion leaves. All good so far... and then what happened? The blooming weather changed, cold days, well below 5 degrees in the night, sleet, hail and snow (didn't settle, thank goodness)

So now I have a tortoise kennel in my 6x6 foot greenhouse and a tortoise who is determined to knock over any pot she finds at ground level and get under - and sometimes on- my feet when I am working in there! She is particularly drawn to my green gardening clogs and has had several goes at them today with her very sharp beak!

The daytime temperature in there is OK for her as it is well insulated polycarbonate and we have had some sun most days since she emerged, but I have to heat it a little at night when the temperature has been set to drop drastically with a paraffin heater. According to my min/max thermometer the heater is doing its job.

I keep telling her it's only for a few more days, soon the weather will pick up and she can come out into the garden where she can do what she does every year - somehow defy the barriers I have put up to keep her off my most precious plants and flatten them like a mini Sherman tank, terrorise anyone with bare feet or sandals by biting their toes and generally making a thorough nuisance of herself.

After 60 years together (our Diamond anniversary is in July on my birthday), I think she has earned her place in our lives and I wouldn't have it any other way! Pets are so very special, aren't they?

Trisha57 Sun 03-Apr-22 19:49:07

Here she is, taken when we had that lovely warm weather last week!

Grannmarie Sun 03-Apr-22 19:59:24

She looks amazing for a 60 year old lady, comfy and cosy in her wee house!
What is her name Trisha, and what is her life expectancy? I don't know much about tortoises.

Oldbat1 Sun 03-Apr-22 20:14:08

We also have a family Tortoise a Herman’s. My daughter has had him since doing work experience at a vets when a family didn’t want him any more plus he had pneumonia. She has had him now over 20years - the family said he was at least 60 then so he is a good age. He is very friendly and loves a neck scratch - he isnt large. Thank goodness they aren’t permitted to be imported from the wild anymore as they were in their thousands when I was a child.

Witzend Sun 03-Apr-22 20:25:16

60 years! That’s fantastic.
I love tortoises - had one for several years as a child but poor little Timmy died during hibernation, in that very cold winter of 1963 (I think). ?
He used to enjoy escaping from his run in the garden and devouring pansy flowers!

The only one I have now is Spike O’Saurus, but he’s a prehistoric chap, cast in bronze, so he doesn’t mind the cold.

Jody1234 Sun 03-Apr-22 20:30:05

She's lovely Trisha, so good to read about her.

Trisha57 Mon 04-Apr-22 08:45:09

Grannmarie she is called Joey - for the first few years we thought she was a he! Life expectancy can be 100 - 120 years. I've heard of some who were around during the First World War.
Witzend Joey's first hibernation was during the winter of 62/63. She was in the garden shed that was tacked on to the back of our house. I remember it well because my Dad had to clear a tunnel to our outside loo and the tunnel was taller than I was. Very scary! He put a paraffin heater in the shed so that she didn't freeze - we were very lucky she survived.
Oldbat1 yes, poor tortoises were treated terribly in the old days. As you say, thank goodness that is no longer the case.
Glad that you liked reading about her, Jody. smile

Vito Mon 04-Apr-22 09:15:56

Thank you for telling us about her, after reading the news and all the hell that is going on in the world it was lovely to read about Joey smile

Grannmarie Mon 04-Apr-22 13:46:16

Agree with Vito, a little bit of uplifting news is a tonic.
Joey is a testament to your family's thoughtful care for her, Trishia.

Trisha57 Tue 05-Apr-22 10:02:03

Thank you Vito and Grannmarie.

Smileless2012 Fri 08-Apr-22 20:17:58

What a lovely thread Trisha she looks great smile.

Trisha57 Sat 09-Apr-22 09:19:24

Thank you Smileless2012. Grandson spent some time with her last week. It was so sweet to see him kneeling on the floor chatting away to her and stroking her shell. He's the third generation in our family to do that! Oh, I forgot - my mum also used to have a little chat with her while she was hanging out the washing, so that makes four generations smile

Curlywhirly Sat 09-Apr-22 09:43:29

What a lovely little story. 60 years! Wow, that's a long time to have a pet. If she could possibly live another 40 + years, there may well be a 5th and 6th generation who will enjoy chatting to her too ?

Grannybags Sat 09-Apr-22 09:49:53

Lovely story.

My sister used to have a tortoise (called Tina!) and I remember the angst every spring waiting to see if she had survived hibernation

Trisha57 Sat 09-Apr-22 09:57:39

I've put her in my will, Curlywhirly for the next generation to look after!

Grannybags, yes it is a tense time! I start checking on her in March and hold my breath every time grin

TillyTrotter Sat 09-Apr-22 10:15:52

Thank you for telling us the story of Joey, and the photo, she is looking as if she is raring to go for another year, round and round your garden.
Do you tether her at all or is she safe to leave to her own devices? She must know her way around after all these years!
Did you think she was a boy at first - is that why her name is Joey?

GagaJo Sat 09-Apr-22 10:48:58

A school I worked at in Spain had a giant tortoise. She had a sectioned off area of the pomegranate orchard, to keep her safe from the students, but if we took a group outside, near her garden, she'd come over and try to climb the fence to join in.

She had a hole in her shell that had been mended, from where she'd been kicked in her younger days.

Auntieflo Sat 09-Apr-22 15:34:37

Trisha57, how lovely and lucky that you have had your tortoise for such a long time.
We had one when I was a child, but they are not seen that often now.
Glad he is going to be looked after later on.

FindingNemo15 Sat 09-Apr-22 16:26:32

We also have a tortoise she is over 60 years old. Rehomed her when her owner died. I need to check to see if she is about to come out of hibernation.

I can't tell you her name because it is so unusual and I would be recognised by any friends that may be on GN.

Trisha57 Sat 09-Apr-22 19:27:52

TillyTrotter, no she is not tethered or restrained at all except for the garden fences which are very secure and tortoise proofed! There was a fashion many years ago to drill a hole in the shell just above the tail and tie string through it and tether them to a stick in order to prevent them from roaming. A barbarous act, as they can feel pain in their shell - it actually has nerves in it. We never did this, thank goodness. Yes, we thought she was a boy so called her Joey!

Gagajo It would be my dream to have a giant tortoise! Unfortunately I do not have the space or the knowledge to keep one but maybe one day a trip to Africa or the Galapagos Islands ?!

Auntieflo, the daughter I have willed her to has grown up with her and knows all her requirements and little foibles. I know that she will look after her well, and her two children love her too!

FindingNemo, we both are part of a very special "club"! Everyone who knows about Joey and gets to meet her is fascinated. I'm so pleased that there are other tortoise lovers on this forum who have had long-lasting pleasure from their special pet. They seem to have such individual characters!

Trisha57 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:31:27

She's out in the garden during the day now, being put away safely in her kennel in the evening. Actually, we don't put her away - she puts herself to bed when the evening comes!

TillyTrotter Tue 12-Apr-22 13:47:38

She has a well-established routine with you Trisha .
You would be giving her an umbrella if you were in my neck of the woods today - so many downpours.

JaneJudge Tue 12-Apr-22 13:50:33

Trisha, you sound a fabulous tortoise Mum! smile