Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog food

(31 Posts)
Grannyben Wed 20-Apr-22 18:55:05

Maybe a few months ago, I was reading a post about feeding dogs. Quite a few people mentioned an online site which lists most dog foods and rates them as to how healthy they actually are.
I can't find it now. Would anyone remember what it was called.
Thank you.

Patsy70 Sat 28-May-22 20:50:11

For breakfast, our dog has a small helping of Harrington’s grain free chicken & sweet potato dried food with a splodge of plain yogurt and a few squirts of salmon oil. For dinner he has a third of a tray of Forthglade wet food (grain free) with a helping of steamed vegetables. He seems to thrive on this diet.

Callistemon21 Sat 28-May-22 20:56:12

Patsy70

For breakfast, our dog has a small helping of Harrington’s grain free chicken & sweet potato dried food with a splodge of plain yogurt and a few squirts of salmon oil. For dinner he has a third of a tray of Forthglade wet food (grain free) with a helping of steamed vegetables. He seems to thrive on this diet.

I think that's what DIL's dog has and seems much better than on that kibble which was recommended at first.

He does have some kind of biscuits in the mornings but not kibble.

Our last, small, dog used to enjoy flavoured cat biscuits for breakfast.

Shandy57 Sat 28-May-22 21:06:43

My sheltie is thirteen and a half and I feed him on tinned Applaws, Encore and Barking Heads 'Golden Oldies', he only likes this flavour. I occasionally buy him raw tripe from PAH.

He suffers from colitis and seems happy on this diet, I looked the food up on the site and apparently it gives him 87% nutrition. He has never enjoyed 'chews' of any kind, and has had his teeth cleaned many times over the years.

FlexibleFriend Sat 28-May-22 21:39:58

Mine are Raw fed and would rather go hungry than eat kibble. If I need someone else to feed them for me they will eat Butchers tripe but that's it. They also have raw lamb ribs to chew on and keep their teeth clean. All my dogs have been raw fed for at least the last decade and probably longer.

UserNamesAreOverrated Sat 04-Jun-22 18:24:42

I've got two Shih-Tzu. My DH used to deal with feeding them but after his stroke it fell to me. He used to cook chicken breasts, sausages and bacon, mix it with a bit of kibble and they ate that. (Well, who wouldn't!)

One year on and I am still fighting to get them to eat dog food. They eat it when they are absolutely famished and not until, and then they leave meal after meal until they can't not eat any longer. I give them Lily's Kitchen mixed with Pooch & Mutt small bite kibble.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I get them to eat more regularly I'd be very grateful. I throw away far more dog food than they eat - a good two thirds of the dog food I buy goes on to the plate, and from there into the waste food bin. I tried them on Encore and it was just the same story. I haven't the time to cook for them and look after DH and the house so they have to get used to dog food!

It can't be good for them and it's such a waste of money!