Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog owners, could I ask your advice, please?

(36 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Sun 15-May-22 15:52:59

We don't have a dog, although both DH and I actually like them.

Our neighbours do. The elder lady has two small dogs that yap incessantly, which we try to ignore. Her adult daughter who lives in flat below the mother has frequently said to me that she finds her mother's ill trained little dogs annoying.

Now the young woman has acquired a young dog (not a puppy, a bitch that has obviously had a litter not too long ago). This dog barks when in the garden with her owner, but stops when told to. But and here is what I need your advice about, this dog has started howling when her owner is not at home.

Should I mention this to the owner (on the assumption that she cannot know what is happening when she is out ´, as the dog quietens down when she hears the car in the drive, or will I simply be seen as an interfering so-and-so if I say anything?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Jun-22 13:15:34

Would you be able to offer to mind him for a while?

NotSpaghetti Thu 09-Jun-22 14:36:24

I have had him in my garden occasionally when I've been outside. Maybe.
I will suggest it next time.
There is family staying at the moment so not a peep out of him except happy woofs when she comes home.
He is really lovely. ?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Jun-22 14:37:45

Bless him. I hope something can be worked out. ?

PinkCosmos Thu 09-Jun-22 15:24:13

My son had this with his dog following lock down. the dog had got so used to them being around that it was suffering from separation anxiety when it was left alone when they went back to work.

Their neighbours told them (nicely) that the dog was howling when they went out. My son was glad that they told him as there is no way they would have know otherwise. It also meant that he could address the problem quickly.

They read loads of books etc. on dog behaviour to try to lesson the dog's anxiety. They also installed a camera in the house so that they could check on the dog from their phone.

The dog seems to have settled down now.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Jun-22 15:43:38

Maybe it would have been better for the dog not to have been acquired for temporary company during lockdown? People knew they would have to go back to their place of work.

Iam64 Thu 09-Jun-22 18:37:51

Dee1012

Germanshepherdsmum

I‘ve been looking at rescue GSDs online with a view to adopting another. The number of 1-2 year olds is heartbreaking. Obviously lockdown puppies. And that’s just one breed, in a small area of the country.

I've just taken in a puppy.... bought by someone for 'children', when he mouthed and nibbled as puppies do, he was locked out in the garden permanently!
He's a beautiful little thing but absolutely scared stiff - it infuriates me!

I volunteer for a breed specific charity. Influx of lockdown puppies aged 7-17 months. They’re coming into foster with behavioural/emotional problems. At least they’re being surrendered for assessment, training and re-homing. So many of these youngsters end up for sale on gumtree because the owners treat them like second hand cars, they want some of their money back

4allweknow Thu 09-Jun-22 19:11:08

The dog is distressed. Owner may not know about howling in her absence, you should tell her.

Hetty58 Thu 09-Jun-22 19:20:49

grandtanteJE65, I would, indeed, mention it. There are reliable training methods to reduce separation anxiety. Your neighbour could use an indoor security camera to check on her dog when she's out.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Jun-22 21:40:28

So sad Iam. Just another disposable commodity.

Iam64 Thu 09-Jun-22 22:03:37

That’s exactly it GSM, a commodity. Relevant to the OP is the number of in-neutered males and female dogs, left alone or inadequately supervised. They howl and are desperate to get out and do as nature drives them to do.