Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog sitting/insurance

(37 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Sun 05-Jun-22 22:25:03

Later this year I have agreed to look after a Yorkshire terrier for a week. I have met the dog and owners once but we will be meeting again a few times. No money will exchange hands, I was wondering if I needed some sort of insurance?

The owners only want the dog to spend time in my rear garden- they do not want him taken to a park and walked, even on a lead. As it will be winter I doubt if we will be going outside the front door.

Has anybody any ideas please?

Charleygirl5 Tue 07-Jun-22 07:03:21

I do not think this couple really know how to look after an animal because I doubt the dog is getting the correct diet or sufficient exercise for a little dog.

He is gorgeous but pampered. I was asked to move bedding for the dog in whichever room I was so he could be close to me. He prefers humans to cats and dogs. There are two dogs living next door- I love them to bits but I doubt if we will be sunbathing in December so will not see them and he will only want to do his business and run indoors again.

I may suggest I have him here for a couple of hours fairly soon so he can still smell his own scent in the house.

MayBee70 Tue 07-Jun-22 11:10:49

I assume he’ll have his own bedding with him. Maybe something with the scent of his owners on as well would help. I know he’s only allowed chicken but could you give him some as a treat as well? I always carry treats with me and give them to other dogs after getting permission from their owners of course. Even years later those dogs remember that I’m the lady with the treats. My daughters dog has to have a low fat diet as the breed is prone to getting pancreatitis but I always take lean boiled chicken with me when I look after her. It’s the only time she has chicken and if I go to their house she goes berserk when she hears my voice. DD tells her that chicken lady is here.

Charleygirl5 Tue 07-Jun-22 11:37:31

Yes, his bedding will remain in my bedroom but on Saturday I had found a few covers and an old quilt to act as bedding because my laminate floors have no rugs as they are trip hazards.

That bedding will move to my kitchen and he will be very happy in front of the radiator and watching me. He apparently likes human contact at all times but I did say I would be going out without him for the odd loaf of bread.

I still have not fully made up my mind- I prefer cats, less bother.

TillyTrotter Tue 07-Jun-22 12:19:35

Perhaps have him for a few hours , and then an overnight, before committing to a week Charleygirl.
You may get a lot of companionship from a wee dog ?

Charleygirl5 Tue 07-Jun-22 12:40:44

TillyTrotter the parents thought one meeting was enough but I do not want a dog crying here most of the time. I want him to be comfortable with me and also my house.

He was too excited to settle down for a snooze so it would be good for him to see I spend too much time on this machine but he can lie comfortably beside me and enjoy the warmth in December.

Although very spoiled he is delightful and not yappy.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 07-Jun-22 12:59:00

You seem to have a much better idea of how to look after a dog than its ‘parents’!

Charleygirl5 Tue 07-Jun-22 13:14:11

Thank you. I was brought up with a dog as a child but I am more used to cats. I could never have had a dog during my working life- I could not have left it on its own for so long whereas cats on the whole are happy.

No walks and that ghastly diet x2 a day, not quite how I would bring it up but he does not belong to me, I will follow instructions and food poisoning will not be on the menu.

MayBee70 Tue 07-Jun-22 13:59:02

I buy a chicken for my dog and keep it in the fridge for several days. As long as it smells ok it doesn’t seem to make her ill. She has two meals a day at set times (and the clock in her head knows exactly when that is). To be honest I think a dog owner that insists on a chicken and rice meal twice a day is far better than many of the dog owners I know that give their dogs human food; custard creams etc. I think you’ll have a lovely time with it. I love Yorkies.I’d have one if it wasn’t for the grooming.

MayBee70 Tue 07-Jun-22 15:29:28

Just googled pancreatitis in Yorkies and, like Miniature Schnauzers they are prone to it. I know my daughter, on the advice of her breeder, keeps her mini on a low fact diet. My guess is this is why this dog is on chicken and rice.

Nellietheelephant Thu 24-Nov-22 13:00:27

A friend has kindly agreed to look after my small old dog for a couple of weeks, including over Christmas. I will provide all the food, etc., but would like (tactfully!) to make a daily "donation". Can anyone advise on the appropriate amount? I wonder how much a commercial kennels charges.

Oldbat1 Thu 24-Nov-22 13:05:57

I had a neighbour look after my yorkie in their own house. I provided his food. When we returned I gave neighbour some chocolates and a plant for the garden. This same neighbours son then stayed in our house doggy sitting this summer and I gave him £30 a day which is the going rate for here. Daily boarding at local kennels is £20 per day.