Gransnet forums

Pets

Eau-de-cat litter

(10 Posts)
lixy Wed 06-Jul-22 21:27:03

I have this delicious perfume wafting over the fence from my next-door neighbour's open back door. It makes working in the garden unpleasant - and I have a lot I need to do!
Anyone any recommendations for a good product to neutralise this stench that I could suggest?
I'll try very hard not to cause offence but the smell is really not nice.

tanith Wed 06-Jul-22 21:30:43

I'm not sure there's much you could as you are already in the open air, maybe someone else may have a suggestion.

HeavenLeigh Sun 10-Jul-22 11:17:18

Yuk! Disgusting! Neighbour obviously not changing the litter enough, I’ve never smelt my neighbours cat litter tray, poor you, and poor cat/cats, I have never used a powder to put into the tray, but then I do change litter very frequently, I think whatever you say the neighbour needs to be told cats can pick up uti’s in dirty ammonia smelling trays,

Shandy57 Sun 10-Jul-22 11:25:07

Ask your neighbour to move it, perhaps she has the 'change bin' by your fence. My cat is 16 and there is a definite pong when I change her litter, I feel for you. I agree the litter must be changed daily, or if clumping, clumps removed.

Shelflife Sun 10-Jul-22 11:40:30

Cat litter needs changing ! There is no excuse!

Curtaintwitcher Sat 17-Sep-22 10:47:32

Why not wear a face mask? Surely we all have plenty of those?

shysal Sat 17-Sep-22 13:51:39

My cat litter is baby powder scented, and there is no unpleasant smell. It is the clumping type and my cat is a very enthusiastic burier! Some cats just leave their deposits on the surface, which may be the case with your neighbour. I did find that my wheelie bin containing the tightly-tied poo bags smelt in the hot weather. I therefore bought an Angelcare nappy disposal unit which solved the problem. It lives beside the outdoor bin, into which I empty it on collection day.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 17-Sep-22 14:13:13

However well you know your neighbour, I don't think you can possibly mention this problem to her without causing offence, but there is quite honestly no other way of solving the problem.

You might, just might, get away with asking if they use the kind of litter that clumps when wet or the other kind.

I have always used the kind that clumps, as it makes it possible simply to scoop up the clumps every morning, when I attend to the tray.

But, I have two cat trays - one in use, and one emptied, washed in soapy water and dried outside in the garden, and the tray is changed completely once every ten days, at the moment while the current felines are kittens. Later on, if they don't go out into our garden, as I confidently expect they will prefer, it will be changed once a week.

A cat tray smells if not changed often enough- how often that is depends on the cat to a large extend. Obviously an unneuter adult male will smell more strongly than neutered cats of either sex, or a female.

It surprises me your neighbour can get away with this -all my cats have refused point-blank to use a dirty, smelly tray, and have either sent me filthy looks until I changed it, or wet the floor beside it!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 17-Sep-22 14:20:14

The only other thing I can think of is that you plant very aromatic flowers and shrubs in your own garden, perhaps by the fence so that the scent may be disguised a bit.

62Granny Sat 17-Sep-22 15:04:47

Can't say what to tell your neighbour, but as a short term solution if you have any Olbas oil or Vick rub at home put some just under your nose and hopefully this will help with deflecting the smell.