Gransnet forums

Pets

Why do dog owners think it’s acceptable for their wet dogs to jump at people ?

(111 Posts)
Awesomegranny Sun 17-Jul-22 18:23:51

I walk a lot near lakes and a local river, lots of people walk their dogs and let them jump in the water. Why is it if I’m passing by it’s perfectly acceptable to dog owners to let their wet dogs jump at me. Yesterday I was out walking wearing white shorts , which were brown by the time I got home, no word of apology from any of the owners! I have started carrying a walking stick with me to try and keep the dogs down, I’m getting really annoyed, not just me another couple I saw walking had exactly the same complaint. So come on owners why do you let your dogs jump?

Kate1949 Sun 17-Jul-22 18:33:08

Don't get me started! As mentioned on here before, this has happened to me whilst wearing a white jacket which was subsequently covered in mud and was ripped by the dog's claw. The owner didn't apologise but she did laugh and tell the dog it was naughty angry So that's OK then.

fiorentina51 Sun 17-Jul-22 19:06:41

A friend of mine was having a picnic with her grandchildren on a beach designated as dog free. A loose dog ran up to her and peed on her back. No apology from the owner and when she, understandably, remonstrated, he pointed out that he regularly exercised his dog there and she was on his territory!

Kate1949 Sun 17-Jul-22 19:26:12

I'm fed up with dogs and irresponsible owners. Two doors down from us there is one that yaps day and night. We have had to close our windows today in the heat as it was driving us insane. The owners are with it in the garden and just shout over it.
Our daughter had a garden party yesterday. A neighbour brought a dog, not on a lead. It pooed on DD"s lawn, the owners didn't offer to clean it up. It sat close to people who were eating and jumped up to try to get food. It grabbed a baby's dummy off a table and chewed it up. The owner said 'Oh sorry'. Unacceptable.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Jul-22 19:45:15

Love dogs but don’t want other peoples all over me piddling and slobbering people just don t accept that not everyone is going to be as delighted by their dog as they are
We ve just had a lovely new eating place open, it houses three or four different world, street eating, market stalls there’s seating and at night there’s a DJ s but they ve just announced
it ll be dog friendly. ??‍♂️Why???‍♂️

Leave them at home folks

Awesomegranny Sun 17-Jul-22 19:49:17

It’s good to know others feel the same! Don’t like appearing like a grumpy old woman but having clean clothes messed up is so annoying, it would be good to hear from dog owners and why they never apologise!

Grannynannywanny Sun 17-Jul-22 19:55:40

I’m a dog lover but I don’t want other folks dogs jumping on me when I’m out. I have a relative with a severe learning disability who is utterly terrified of dogs. No matter how small and cute they are. I had to stop taking him on park walks due to irresponsible owners allowing their dogs to run at him.

lixy Sun 17-Jul-22 20:00:06

It isn't acceptable, dogs are supposed to be under the control of the person they are with.
Lady near me was walking in our local park when she was knocked over by a dog jumping up and broke her hip - not just an issue of dirty clothes, annoying as that is.

Grumpy old women of the world unite!

Chewbacca Sun 17-Jul-22 20:03:19

I was in a garden centre yesterday and a couple were in there with their large dog. As they approached the till area, the dig suddenly stopped, squatted and s**t on the carpeted floor. They calmly waited until it had finished and then walked out, leaving the stinking mess for the staff to clean up. Poor staff.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Jul-22 20:04:25

Dog. Not dig damned autocorrect

Grannynannywanny Sun 17-Jul-22 20:08:52

Chewbacca that’s appalling!

MayBee70 Sun 17-Jul-22 20:12:38

We only let our dog of lead when there are no people or dogs around. Partly because she has no recall but mainly because we hate seeing dogs running around out of control. My grandson is scared of dogs despite now having a dog of his own. I actually got bitten by a dog the other week. Was my fault in a way. I was chatting to it’s owner and asked if I could give it a treat. But when I gave it’s smaller companion a treat the larger dog bit me on the arm as I was bending down to the little dog. I didn’t say anything to the owner because he was a young dog with a soft mouth and just got over excited but I dread to think what it must be like to be bitten by a pit bull type that really means it. It’s no wonder that people that have been bitten as children often have a lifelong fear of dogs.

Iam64 Sun 17-Jul-22 20:26:57

That’s beyond disgusting Chewbacca.

Ok I have a small gentle well behaved 4 year old spaniel and an enormous, over friendly, over enthusiastic 20 month old labrador.

I shared my life with dogs throughout my childhood , got my first puppy in adult life in 1974. Since then I’ve always had one dog, usually 2 and at various times 3 dogs. I’ve rescued, fostered and had five puppies over those years. 16 years ago, My rescue labradoodle had 4 homes before she came to me at 5 months. She taught me about the need to join a training group and commit to training your dog. Previous dogs just fitted in, her urge to chase small and large furry creatures meant I’d to up my game. She passed kennel club good citizen obedience and very dog since has followed that path.

I’m totally fed up with the number of off lead, out of control, untrained dogs. I’m especially fed up with people walking 3-5 dogs off lead, dogs who race about and have absolutely no recall.

My young giddy giant lab has been more restricted than any of my previous dogs. It’s partly down yo his size, enthusiasms and distractability but mostly down to my reluctance to let him rave about with other young dogs whose owners think it’s funny if they don’t come back instantly. ]
We had a hideous experience two days ago. My dog on lead, assaulted by 2 off lead labs, owner no where in sight, but when he appeared, headphones on and no control over his dogs. When I asked him to control his dogs he became aggressive and abusive.

Sorry I’m ranting. But if I, dog lover, owner of 2 dogs, feel like this I fear we are heading for no off lead freedom

Kate1949 Sun 17-Jul-22 20:28:34

And please don't assume that everyone loves your dog as much as you do.

Iam64 Sun 17-Jul-22 20:29:39

Kate1949 -I’m certain only mad dog women could love my lab ?

dogsmother Sun 17-Jul-22 20:42:55

I’m sorry for you, I’ve two dogs and would be upset to have my dogs jumping up at people. It’s rude and very bad mannered to allow it. Not all dog owners are like this, most are responsible.

MayBee70 Sun 17-Jul-22 20:53:22

I was walking on the beach last week and a young whippet was running up to other dogs. It ran up to a retriever type which yelped. Not sure if it was from fear or if the whippet had snapped at /nipped him. The owner of the whippet were oblivious to it. If the retriever had retaliated he probably would have got the blame. There are also, sadly, dead and dying birds on the beach because of bird flu and owners have been warned to keep their dogs away from them but they don’t. The also ignore sealed off areas where there are ground nesting birds and get angry when asked to put their dogs on a lead. As for the dog poo on what is a path leading down to the sea angry.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Jul-22 20:53:25

I don't own, nor ever have owned a dog, but I'm very fond of all animals and am active in several animal charities. I'd hate to think that the actions of a few irresponsible owners put people against dogs. A dog is only as bad as the person at the other end of their lead.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Jul-22 21:01:05

I've sent you a pm Iam64 smile

Smileless2012 Sun 17-Jul-22 21:06:59

A dog is only as bad as the person at the other end of their lead exactly Chewbacca.

SunshineSally Sun 17-Jul-22 21:22:45

I have a dog - a small excitable one that loves people and does a meerkat impression when he sees someone (anyone) come near! However, he is kept on a short lead in public busy places and a long lead when there is more space. Having suffered a dog attack by a large mastiff mix dog when our dog was a puppy, I hate it when loose dogs coming running up to me or my dog. I was attacked and had my ear bitten and multiple bruises and scratches as I was trying to protect my dog. The other dog knocked me over and I was lying on top of my dog trying to protect him whilst screaming for help. I was absolutely terrified. Sorry I’ve strayed from the OP thread. Anyway I just wanted to say that I never take it for granted that everyone likes dogs and wouldn’t dream of letting him jump up at anyone. In fact I would be mortified if he damaged someone’s clothing and would offer to pay. I also wouldn’t dream of not cleaning up after my dog. Just wanted to put it out there that we’re not all selfish dog owners ?

mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 17-Jul-22 21:35:14

Glad not just me who feels like this. The amount of dogs that have jumped up at me, dry or wet paws that isn't the case it shouldn't be jumping up in the first place. Say anything to the owners and you a mouthful of abuse or told "It's only playing".

Seem to be more and more dogs since lockdown and bad behaviour gives responsible dog owners a bad name. The other day I was out on a walk and dog running free and owner saw me coming, called the dog over and put it on a lead. I thanked her and that is how it should be.

Skydancer Sun 17-Jul-22 21:42:09

I just don’t get why anyone wants a dog at all. To have one in a house is disgusting. They descend from wolves, wild creatures. Germ-ridden and slobbering- I don’t even want to touch one.

Kate1949 Sun 17-Jul-22 21:46:00

Your'e brave Skydancer!

Callistemon21 Sun 17-Jul-22 21:53:05

Chewbacca

I don't own, nor ever have owned a dog, but I'm very fond of all animals and am active in several animal charities. I'd hate to think that the actions of a few irresponsible owners put people against dogs. A dog is only as bad as the person at the other end of their lead.

???

DGD was knocked right over by a large dog "just being friendy" when she was a toddler and has always been nervous of them since. Her parents did get a smaller family dog and she likes him but she is still rather wary.