Gransnet forums

Pets

Advice on living life with an elderly dog

(61 Posts)
RichmondPark1 Sat 06-Aug-22 09:57:26

When we retired a decade ago the very first thing we did was adopt our beloved Jack Russell mix-up type terrier from a rescue centre. From day one she has been a joy and the three of us have been devoted and inseparable. If the dog can't come with us we don't go and she has only been left alone for short periods in extremis (e.g. hospital visits). We are outdoorsy, active folk and walk for miles every day and go camping for weeks on end in the summer.

Over the last year our dear old dog has slowed down really noticeably and is happy just to have a couple of short plods around the park each day and then retire to her basket to sleep. She's had several check overs by the vet who confirms that she's 100% well and happy and it's just that at 13 she's getting on a bit.

We adore her and want to do the best for her, but are desperate to continue involving her in all aspects of our life. She is our priority and we find we have become much less active and adventurous ourselves to accommodate her needs As still reasonably active, young at heart retirees this is not ideal. Hopefully the dear old thing has years ahead of her so we are thinking of this as a long rather than a short term situation.

We have no family we could leave her with and if I'm honest, even if we did we wouldn't do that.

I wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation and how did you handle it so as to do the best for your dog without putting your own life on hold?

L1247 Thu 22-Dec-22 21:58:17

I can thoroughly recommend a company called Barking Mad. They find 'hosts' who've undergone a rigorous selection process to ensure they can provide a loving holiday home for pet dogs. Dogs and hosts are carefully matched.
Check out the website Barking Mad to find out more about them.
I became a host following the loss of my beloved 17 year old Border Terrier, Tess, in July this year. I'd had her since she was 7 weeks old and was devastated when I lost her. I dont feel I could have another permanent dog as I couldn't bear the heartbreak again. So I host holiday dogs instead. So far I've hosted 2 beautiful little dogs who have now become regulars their owners only book holidays when I'm available. This is quite common apparently. I hope you find right solution for you and your little dog. Barking Mad also provide a dog sitting service, this might suit you better. I hope you find the right solution for you and your dog. Best wishes

Ali23 Thu 22-Dec-22 19:54:40

Nightsky, I’m so sorry that you’ve lost your lovely old man. He was the image of my old girl, who is just a few months younger. Borders are such wonderful companions.
Sending you a hug 🤗

Delila Thu 22-Dec-22 15:42:18

Lovely photos of your sweet elderly dogs. They become very endearing as they age, don’t they. I have a beloved elderly terrier and our horizons have narrowed since she began to slow down. We are both more limited as a result, but there are big compensations and it’s hard to imagine her not being here.

I have noticed that buggies carrying elderly dogs have become quite the thing locally - there’s a virtual parade of them along the pier on fine days, with little faces peering out taking in the sights.

It’s a possible answer if the alternative is life almost at a standstill most of our “walk” whilst my dog has a good long think about the next step, or indulges in her greatest pleasure, sniffing. I think we’ll stay on our feet as long as she’s able to, though

I try to exercise at my own pace between dog-walks.

Sparklefizz Thu 22-Dec-22 13:52:57

I'm so sorry for those of you who have lost your pets recently. I still cry over my lovely cats who died more than 5 years ago. They always have a piece of our hearts. flowers

Norah Thu 22-Dec-22 13:48:47

Out of interest, how do some people's dogs seemingly not need 4 walks a day? When do your dogs 'do the needful'?

Our dogs are Parson Terriers, they're wild and require lots of exercise. Good for us, the people who follow along on their walks.

Nightsky2 Thu 22-Dec-22 13:07:41

Mom3

We had our wonderful 14-year-old lab put down three weeks ago. Our life definitely revolved around him as he became unable to walk very well but were glad to take good care of him.

💔

Nightsky2 Thu 22-Dec-22 12:57:46

RichardPark1……this is my little man who was pts on Friday 😪. He was 16.8 and had been on Librela for just 2 weeks but we could already see a slight improvement. He was also taking YuMove every day. He started to limp a bit in one back leg a few months ago and appeared to be getting worse but he still walked every day. Some days just 30 minutes round the block and other days 45/50 mins. My vet advised to continue walking him and he got loads of exercise following me around the house. Up and down stairs several times a day with no problem.
If you’re on Facebook can I suggest you join the ‘Jack Russell Group’ where you’ll get loads of advice. I belonged to the Border Terrier Group. They will advise on buggies for your JR and you will probably be able to buy one second hand if you wanted to.
We put A on Librela after it was recommended to us by a friend who found it amazing. It’s so sad watching them grow old but there is still a lot we can do to help them. A was on YuMove, YuDigest, Ameprozole and vitiman pills not to mention special diets. The house feels so empty without him.

Ali23 Sat 03-Dec-22 21:38:49

So sorry to hear that, Mom3. I hope that you’re ok.
I can’t imagine losing our old girl.

Mom3 Fri 02-Dec-22 01:00:29

We had our wonderful 14-year-old lab put down three weeks ago. Our life definitely revolved around him as he became unable to walk very well but were glad to take good care of him.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 26-Nov-22 13:46:28

If she is content to sleep in her basket after having been out for a short walk, I would go out myself while the dog was sleeping for a longer walk.

If she is still contentedly sleeping when you both come home again, well and good, You can then gradually accustom her to your being out for longer periods at a time.

If she is distressed when you try this, then obviously you will need to consider some of the alternatives others have suggested.

Ali23 Thu 24-Nov-22 08:10:25

Here she is, TopsyIrene, on holiday in Wells last month.
We now use the buggy for roughly half of every walk ( she plods the homeward half). She loves it!
Luckily, there are soooo many dog friendly holiday homes and cafes that going places with her is no problem at all 😊

Alioop Thu 24-Nov-22 07:47:56

My wee dog is 9 and she's epileptic. I wouldn't leave her in kennels because I would just worry the whole time. I know now when she about to have a seizure as she had her first one 2 weeks after I rescued her, that was 5 years ago. I wouldn't put the worry on friends leaving her with them either.
I now rent pet friendly Airbnbs and take her with me. She has slowed down a lot since she had to have her meds increased to help with the seizures so if I have to buy a dog pram I will.
I promised to give her a lovely life after her first horrible 5 years she had before I was lucky enough to rescue her and I'll keep that promise.

TopsyIrene06 Wed 23-Nov-22 14:59:34

DeeDe: Your picture took me back to last year.
What a sweetie and he certainly looks like he is living his gentle life gazing out at the world.

Ali23. Thank you for your post - I have only just seen it. Hope the rides are still being enjoyed. I can just imagine the scene.

DeeDe Wed 23-Nov-22 13:25:05

This is what our 17 year old cross Westie who’s unable to walk much due to DM which sadly causes being paralysed has..
Much to my surprise he loves it ..

DeeDe Fri 28-Oct-22 14:37:56

My cross westie jack, 16 has DM and sadly is at the end of his days, as unable to walk at all now
But has spent many happy days out in his dog pushchair
And this helped him enjoy his old age.

MawtheMerrier Wed 10-Aug-22 17:46:52

Oh poor hound!
They have such fragile bones don’t they?

Razzamatazz Wed 10-Aug-22 16:18:19

How nice MawtheMerrier. I wish my neighbour's greyhound would fit into my buggy - he's just broken his leg, poor dog.

MawtheMerrier Wed 10-Aug-22 07:45:54

I have just seen this and I hope it resonates with any of us who have or have had old dogs or cats.

Razzamatazz Tue 09-Aug-22 07:53:34

A blast from the past. I remember being so disappointed when it was the lime at the top of the packet.

NotSpaghetti Tue 09-Aug-22 00:21:34

Auntieflo - just read this;
Starburst has gone back to its original name and become Opal Fruits - 22 years after they were rebranded.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Razzamatazz Mon 08-Aug-22 21:48:00

I think Jazz's joints were already too damaged for the Librella to make him more mobile, but it's certainly very effective for the pain. He was very distressed in his sleep and was crying, broke my heart. I am so relieved it has made him more comfortable and hope he sees his 14th birthday.

We had to say goodbye to our 12 year old arthritic collie twenty years ago because we'd reached the end of the available treatments. So marvellous this advance has been made.

SunshineSally Mon 08-Aug-22 19:47:13

NotSpaghetti

Yes! They were Auntieflo! I was struggling to remember. It seems they still make them as well.
Our labradoor/collie cross just loved them and would wolf anything down if he got some fruity thing with it.
I don't think it even needed to be a whole one to be honest. Just enough to mask whatever he was supposed to be taking.

They’re now called Starburst

Chardy Mon 08-Aug-22 19:45:58

Dog carrier backpack?
www.amazon.co.uk/dog-backpacks-slings/b?node=471362031&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

foxie48 Mon 08-Aug-22 19:35:32

dogsmother Youmove is really good but if it's not enough to keep the dog comfortable then Librela is definitely worth trying, however it may take 2 or 3 doses before you see any improvement and it doesn't work for every dog. Good luck, I was discussing it with my friend, who is a small animal vet and she really rates Librela, just wishes it was cheaper for clients.

Fennel Mon 08-Aug-22 16:46:00

Our border collie didn't have any arthritic problems. It was all in her head.
She started to have epileptic seizures, when she got too excited.
So we had to decide that she was suffering too much.