Gransnet forums

Pets

Feeling so despondent - rescue dogs - ageism striking?

(85 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Sun 28-Aug-22 13:00:43

Since before lockdowns, we have been trying to adopt a dog from a rescue and getting absolutely nowhere.

I found a gorgeous Golden Retriever puppy (five months old) on one rescue this week, and completed an application form.

We are a three adult household, with 10 and 11 year old grandchildren. The 11 year old visits us once a week (she has two Springer Spaniels at her dad's house) and the 10 year old visits us once every three months. This was made clear on the application form.

I have today received an email saying that the dog is not suitable for a home with children.

I am shocked at this. How can a five month old puppy, of a breed which is known to be an excellent dog for families, not be suitable for a household where children only visit? Children who either have dogs currently, or have lived with dogs in the past.

Are they saying that if you're taking the dog for a walk, make sure you're nowhere near children? Is it realistic to only home a puppy (who has come from a breeder to the rescue - I don't know why, but they seem to have a lot from breeders when the puppies don't sell) where there are never going to be any children?

Or is it, as I suspect, that at 62 and 63, they think we are too old to have dogs/puppies? My son, who lives with us, is 30, so there will be someone around who can still exercise the dog (who will of course, also be ageing as the years go on).

I feel so deflated at this. We are committed to getting a dog, but it's beginning to look more and more as though the only way it's going to happen is if we go direct to a breeder, which we really didn't want to do, given how many dogs are in rescues waiting for homes.

Iam64 Wed 31-Aug-22 21:15:43

SueBdoo ??. My rescues have all arrived with ‘issues’. They seemed to begin to realise they were safe, they’d be fed, walked, given boundaries and affection and simply relaxed.
My pedigree puppies - much more demanding ?

Hellogirl1 Wed 31-Aug-22 21:27:05

Precisely Callistemon, that`s why I thought the turning down was stupid. I did go on to adopt my beautiful Billy from the Cats Protection League.

Fleurpepper Wed 31-Aug-22 21:45:45

HurdyGurdy

Germanshepherdsmum

How many rescue centres have you tried? Why not consider an older dog - they are very rewarding and so many in rescue centres. Everyone wants a puppy and overlooks the older dogs.

We have tried the "big ones" - RPSCA, Blue Cross and Dog's Trust, as well as a couple of places that rescue from Europe - Romania and Hungary - and also two very small local places.

We'd be quite happy to have an old-er dog - maybe up to five years old, but we don't make the grade on those either.

My husband is very fussy. Unfortunately he's all about the looks - his ideal would be GSD or Malamute, nothing with a "squashed in nose", no slobber, nothing small, nothing yappy. It's hard to get something that meets his criteria. Sad really, because I know he'd be all soppy with whatever dog came to live with us, once he'd got used to it!

I'm more about the personality of the dog, and apart from agreeing with no small dogs (my criteria is "nothing below my knee") I'm very open.

I don't even really want a puppy, but this one just really took my attention.

To be fair on the rescues, how can they be blamed for your OH being so fussy and it all being about looks? TBH I would worry about re-homing a dog with someone who is 'all about looks'.

We are currently looking for a rescue, and it will have nothing to do with looks, but personality and being OK with cats.

Deedaa Wed 31-Aug-22 21:56:54

I would keep looking. There an awful lot of dogs and puppies being handed in after lock down and of course cats and kittens too. Last week Celia Hammond said she'd taken in over 100 kittens.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 31-Aug-22 22:06:49

It’s so disappointing when people only care about what a dog looks like. That’s not the way to approach adoption. GSDs and Malamutes look good but they are not for the inexperienced owner and those in rescues are likely to have issues to a greater or lesser extent, therefore even more in need of experience. Let’s face it, we weren’t able to choose what our children looked like were we? And did it matter in the slightest?

MissAdventure Wed 31-Aug-22 23:05:43

It's only right for rescue centres to take the time and trouble to match owners to dogs.
A failed adoption could end up with a dog being euthanised.

Fleurpepper Tue 06-Sep-22 17:47:26

Yes SueBdoo - 1 million times and more.

Fleurpepper Tue 06-Sep-22 17:48:55

Hithere

I also think the rescue may have been your husband's attitude as turnoff.

So sorry, but this for sure. As a rescuer, someone so pernickity about looks would worry me about reasons and priorities.

HurdyGurdy Tue 06-Sep-22 21:21:40

Can I please make it clear - the rescue were not made aware of my husband's likes or dislikes. I completed an online application form, and made no mention of it. The only preference that I put on the application form was that we didn't want a small dog, but preferred medium to large sized.

Apart from an email in response to the application stating that the dog couldn't be adopted by a home that had children in it (even though they would only be visiting once a week), there was no further involvement.

So no. It definitely wasn't my husband's attitude that was the cause of us being rejected.