Gransnet forums

Pets

Luxating patella in dogs.

(8 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 27-Sep-22 17:09:25

Anyone had a problem with this? Currently only grade one but concerned that it may get worse over time so want to do everything possible to reduce the risk.

Casdon Tue 27-Sep-22 17:17:06

My friend’s dog had this, he had some physiotherapy exercises given for the dog, and it resolved without surgery. You might be able to get a sheet from your vet telling you what to do to strengthen the leg muscles, or maybe there’s something online?

MayBee70 Tue 27-Sep-22 18:22:24

I was thinking about physiotherapy and possibly swimming. It isn’t my dog but my grand dog. There’s talk of her being on loxicom for life but that’s pretty powerful stuff I think and she’s only 4. I’m sure my dogs have only been on it for short periods of time or post operation. And the breed is prone to pancreatitis. I’m comparing it to the things I do to keep on top of my arthritic knee. It usually shows up in much younger dogs but she’s never been all that keen on walking. If it was me I’d speak to the breeder, who is a very reputable one, but DD doesn’t want to. I feel a bit responsible as I was the one that told her her about the litter. The trouble with vets these days is that, unlike when I first had dogs and cats, you don’t seem to have the same vet for years and years, a lack All Creatures Great and Small way.

midgey Tue 27-Sep-22 18:35:19

Think I was a reputable breeder I would want to know!

midgey Tue 27-Sep-22 18:35:46

Think…if…

MayBee70 Tue 27-Sep-22 19:05:03

Looking on Facebook it’s far more common than I realised.

Charleygirl5 Tue 27-Sep-22 19:11:33

Do you mean subluxation?

MayBee70 Tue 27-Sep-22 19:24:23

No. I think that’s more of a dislocation.