Pets

Fireworks Nightmare: Pet Support Thread 🤬

(41 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 31-Dec-22 19:46:06

Hello folks
It’s already kicking off here.
Gracie has already had 2.5mg of diazepam

LOUISA1523 Sat 31-Dec-22 19:47:34

Our dog is fine as long as he's with us so we will go outside at midnight to watch them but tuck him in my partners coat....none here as yet...all very quiet

MawtheMerrier Sat 31-Dec-22 20:25:45

Rosie is the first of my 5 greyhounds not to react to fireworks or thunder. Gracie and Hattie would be terrified, quivering wrecks. It was heartbreaking but fingers crossed, Rosie won’t bat an eyelid.
I’m not tempting fate by doing her bedtime walk at the usual time though (around 10) it will be by 9.
Commiserations to all terrified pets and their owners .

ExperiencedNotOld Sat 31-Dec-22 21:12:44

We have gundogs. When they’re around 12 weeks old we start exposing them to all kinds of noise. When our kids were small we.d get then to hammer a wooden box next to a puppy cage. Result is rock solid non-reactive dog.
Most dogs that do have stress issues have learnt to react to the owner worrying about the dog reacting.

tickingbird Sat 31-Dec-22 21:22:03

They’ve started here - very loud.

Redrobin51 Sat 31-Dec-22 21:22:41

Fireworks started here at about 8.30 and if other years are to go by won't finish until well after 12.30. Our rescue dog is fine indoors but gets a bit spooked if a real banger goes off just as she is having a pee, lol. I can remember a friends poor dog being so spooked that he wouldn't go out and she used to have to ring me up and ask me to gomup to persuade him as he would follow me anywhere. He used to climb onto my lap absolutely shaking. Fortunately, none of our other digs have been particularly bothered but like people they are all individuals. X
l

Alioop Sat 31-Dec-22 21:26:43

We haven't any at present, hope it stays that way because I don't want to watch my girl having a seizure. Damn things are just a nuisance.

Ashcombe Sat 31-Dec-22 21:26:52

Just found this link to soothing music for dogs which might help some who are upset by fireworks.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAy6pp2Wh1M

merlotgran Sat 31-Dec-22 21:33:09

Peggy isn’t the least bit worried about fireworks - they started here about an hour ago but really hates Christmas crackers. She starts to shake as soon as she sees them being taken out of the box so we have to put her in another room while we pull them.

Urmstongran Sat 31-Dec-22 21:34:42

Years ago we had 2 cocker spaniel dogs from the same litter.
Gun dogs.
Nature or nurture? I don’t know.
What I do know is that fireworks never fussed them.
They’d lie, next to one another, sprawled out, on their sides (a sign of a very relaxed dog!) in front of the fire (when we had one and them) and not so much as twitch at the loud BANGS! 💥 outdoors. Such contented sisters. Our lovely roans.

kittylester Sat 31-Dec-22 21:46:31

They have cancelled the fireworks in Scarborough for the sake of the walrus.

Casdon Sat 31-Dec-22 21:49:31

Urmstongran

Years ago we had 2 cocker spaniel dogs from the same litter.
Gun dogs.
Nature or nurture? I don’t know.
What I do know is that fireworks never fussed them.
They’d lie, next to one another, sprawled out, on their sides (a sign of a very relaxed dog!) in front of the fire (when we had one and them) and not so much as twitch at the loud BANGS! 💥 outdoors. Such contented sisters. Our lovely roans.

My spaniel is completely unfazed too, he’s a blue roan so maybe the breed is relevant. Mind you, he can hear the fridge open from a mile away, and be there with his nose in it when you could have sworn he was fast asleep in a distant room.

Zoejory Sat 31-Dec-22 21:49:55

kittylester

That has to be the loveliest post of 2022

AussieGran59 Sat 31-Dec-22 22:09:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BigBertha1 Sat 31-Dec-22 22:16:51

Nothing much here but nearly everyone has dogs so no fireworks just s???on all the pavements.

maddyone Sat 31-Dec-22 22:25:10

Our three cats, long since departed, were all different. One didn’t like fireworks but grew used to them over time, one was terrified, the other didn’t seem to notice them. The cat flap was kept locked though on nights when there were likely to be fireworks.

Callistemon21 Sat 31-Dec-22 22:43:46

kittylester

👏👏👏

rubysong Sat 31-Dec-22 22:46:45

I believe Thor, the walrus, has already left. He probably got fed up of all the cameras flashing. Will the fireworks be back on, I wonder.

lixy Sat 31-Dec-22 22:53:47

Pouring with rain and blowing a gale here in Sussex - no fireworks so far! I hope the ships in the harbour sound their horns though.
My terrier used to get very excited by fireworks, racing around in circles. It wasn't the noise so much as the flashing and bright lights that set her off so we invested in some extra-heavy duty curtains for one of the bedrooms and then she was fine.

henetha Sat 31-Dec-22 22:54:08

That did my heart good , kittylester

Callistemon21 Sat 31-Dec-22 22:54:30

rubysong

I believe Thor, the walrus, has already left. He probably got fed up of all the cameras flashing. Will the fireworks be back on, I wonder.

Oh, he probably heard about the fireworks and scarpered!

Joseanne Sat 31-Dec-22 22:55:54

So far, so good here.
It's horrible for pets of a nervous disposition though. Our second dog used to shake and wee with fear.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 31-Dec-22 22:56:13

Milo and Ripley, my two cats, will be allowed to sleep on my bed all night.

Mollygo Sat 31-Dec-22 23:55:50

Our last dog hated them, but she died before NY fireworks were fashionable for which I’m grateful.
Current dog is a cocker (will I now be inundated with adverts about food for dogs) and is unmoved. It’s hard if it bothers them.

Dickens Sun 01-Jan-23 00:50:12

Mollygo

Our last dog hated them, but she died before NY fireworks were fashionable for which I’m grateful.
Current dog is a cocker (will I now be inundated with adverts about food for dogs) and is unmoved. It’s hard if it bothers them.

Yes, you made me realise - there was a time when fireworks weren't a "thing" at New Year.

As the clock struck midnight, our local church started to ring the bells (we actually have bell-ringers) and then everyone began letting off those fireworks that sound like bombs going off. I'd have preferred just the bells.