Gransnet forums

Pets

Dogs and anal glands

(36 Posts)
veejay Tue 24-Jan-23 14:19:06

I am more used to cats.but I have a little dog I adopted about 28 months ago
When I collected her from the groomer last week she said she thought her anal glands needed draining
I know that scooting is a dihn.but she hasn't been doing yhat.but was making some very nasty smells
I took their to the vet a nurse saw her She said Molly's anal glands were full
After seeming to empty them she showed me a piece of tissue and said it was done,there couldn't have been much in it
I haveMy doubts, because I know it really stinks.
I have taken my previous dog and I remember the smell
Now my dog is scooting,and still making bad smells.
Should I ring the vets and ask they see her again.
I don't want to have to pay again
I really believ were not emptied

merlotgran Fri 27-Jan-23 17:13:32

I bought Peggy a pack of furry rabbit’s ears the other day. When I offered her one saying, ‘Oooh, I’ve got a lovely treat for you.’ She backed off giving me a WTF look.

After licking the non furry end and convincing herself it wasn’t going to jump up and hop away, she polished it off! 😂

OnwardandUpward Fri 27-Jan-23 17:23:52

grin That's funny! My dog is very fussy and I don't know if she would eat them but I worry about hygiene. Once I got her a raw bone and I tried to keep it for the garden but she kept bringing it in the house.

I have never been able to bring myself to buy the furry rabbit ears!! Are they supposed to help anal glands?

Ohmother Fri 27-Jan-23 17:42:11

Juliet27

I remember watching a tv programme where a man was sitting on a bench on a hillside singing a hymn and his dog came scooting past!!

Ooo I remember that classic. 🤣😂. youtu.be/ecB3wbReljM

Blondiescot Fri 27-Jan-23 21:16:26

The furry rabbit ears are supposed to act almost like a brush on their innards, apparently! My boy loves them, but then he is raw fed and used to eating the whole thing, never mind the lugs!

HowVeryDareYou Fri 27-Jan-23 21:29:28

nanna8

Reminds me why I never want another dog. Cats rule.

Cats also have anal glands, and they can have the same problem - after having cats for MANY years, one of ours started walking a bit strangely and seemed to be grooming herself "down there" a lot. Thankfully, no scooting on the floor, but her anal glands needed to be emptied. The vet did it.

OnwardandUpward Sat 28-Jan-23 10:14:08

Ohhhh grin
I did not know, thanks for the info.

A question for the raw fed dogs, do your owners let you lick them (and what about hygiene?) I have avoided buying raw bones since my dog insisted on bringing them into the house because I worry about hygiene. I know raw is meant to be good, but how to overcome things like salmonella worries on furnishings?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 28-Jan-23 12:53:24

I don't know whether there is one, but there probably is a YouTube video that shows you how to empty dogs' anal glands yourself.

My vet showed me years ago how to empty the cat's, but I don't remember exactly as none of that cat's sucessors have needed help.

bevisp1 Sat 28-Jan-23 13:29:00

My dog has anal gland problem, the first time I didn’t know what it was and he was eventually bleeding from there & had to be put under for draining out. Now he see the nurse at the vets and costs £20 a time and goes about every 3 months. It seems to help, I have been told one can do it themselves but I wouldn’t, it’s quite smelly.

Blondiescot Sat 28-Jan-23 14:30:14

OnwardandUpward

Ohhhh grin
I did not know, thanks for the info.

A question for the raw fed dogs, do your owners let you lick them (and what about hygiene?) I have avoided buying raw bones since my dog insisted on bringing them into the house because I worry about hygiene. I know raw is meant to be good, but how to overcome things like salmonella worries on furnishings?

I've never let our dogs lick me, or the children. From a hygiene point of view, we have a freezer in one of our garden sheds which is kept solely for the raw food, and we use separate implements, etc for the dog food/dishes and so on. If he is having raw bones to chew, we keep them outside in the garden. If you follow common sense hygiene procedures, there's very little risk from raw feeding. It's not that different from handling raw meat for human consumption - you would use separate chopping boards and so on for that too.

OnwardandUpward Sun 29-Jan-23 10:57:51

Oh I do use different boards for hygiene reasons already.

Good idea about the separate freezer. I tried keeping raw bones in the garden but she kept taking them inside, so I decided not to keep buying them.