Gransnet forums

Pets

Brrrr!

(4 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Sat 25-Feb-23 11:57:16

Our cats march upstairs to our bed when they feel cold, or burrow down amongst the sofa cushions. Trubel uses a very small cat carrier of waterproof cloth as a hidey-hole, when she feels chilly. If I put my hand in five minutes after she has lain down there the heat around her can be felt.

Try giving your cats a smallish cardboard box , laid on it's side so they crawl in and out through the open end - it will probably work as well as my cat's carrier.

A cushion on a sunny windowsill will be greatly appreciated as well.

Put your dog's basket where there are no draughts and sun, when the sun is shining, and line it well with a mat or blanket - a layer of newspaper under the bedding insulates well.

sodapop Fri 24-Feb-23 19:13:12

Yes I agree with foxie48 unless your pets are ill or really old then they will be fine with a throw or blanket. Don't worry watermeadow they will be ok.

foxie48 Fri 24-Feb-23 19:08:16

A heated throw is your friend, my border terrier is a bit independent and likes to sit in his own space but he loves to cuddle under my heated throw and it is very cheap to run. During the day cats and dogs should be comfortable under any old throw tbh I think you might be worrying unnecessarily, they are really a lot tougher than we think unless they are old and losing their fur (bit like me!)

watermeadow Fri 24-Feb-23 18:56:34

My energy bills have soared like everyone else’s. I’m wearing masses of warm clothes and feeling guilty that my pets are cold. The thermostat’s on 15 in the evenings, no heat all day.
I know things are worse for many people but I am FURIOUS at the profits the energy companies have made whilst I cannot keep my cats and little dog comfortable.