Gransnet forums

Pets

Price increase

(35 Posts)
Mazgg Sun 05-Mar-23 12:28:09

I buy 12kg sacks of dried dog food. This has usually been £47 from Amazon but I noticed this time it has gone up to £57, a price increase of £10 in 5 weeks. As it is British made Brexit can not be blamed.
Has anyone else noticed a significant increase in price of pet food.

Mollygo Sun 05-Mar-23 12:33:54

Mazgg

I buy 12kg sacks of dried dog food. This has usually been £47 from Amazon but I noticed this time it has gone up to £57, a price increase of £10 in 5 weeks. As it is British made Brexit can not be blamed.
Has anyone else noticed a significant increase in price of pet food.

Yes-but the firm I buy it from on repeat, sent me a message to say the price per order was going up and if I wanted to put an extra order in at the lower price, act now. So I did.
The increase in price for 2 months supply turned out to be £4.

Alioop Sun 05-Mar-23 12:43:16

Yes I have and the price of my dogs meds have also increased a lot too. My local shelter is bursting at the seams with animals as so many giving their pets up saying they can't afford the food and vet bills for them anymore. So sad.

Tizliz Sun 05-Mar-23 13:31:20

Try Zooplus for dog food, I think their prices are good

JaneJudge Sun 05-Mar-23 13:39:07

Chappie has gone up to £9 for six small tins

Ailidh Sun 05-Mar-23 13:43:59

The Co-op brand kibble I get for my dogs - it suits their slightly manky digestive systems - has gone up, I think, from £3.75 to £4.50 in the year since I moved here. That's £38 a year.

On the other hand, just had the old boy to the vet for a returned water infection, and there's only a couple of quid difference since June.

shysal Sun 05-Mar-23 13:45:39

Yes. Only recently the boxes of 12 pouches of cat food have risen from £3.50 to £5 in Asda. (Sold out on Zooplus where they are marginally cheaper for a mixed selection of which they won't eat the beef!)

I shall find out tomorrow whether my oldest cat's thyroid meds have gone up. They were already a 3 figure sum for 100 tablets.

Casdon Sun 05-Mar-23 13:51:32

Yes. My dog has Forthglade meat, and it’s increased from £8 per box to £9.75 per box in the last few months.

Notagranny44 Sun 05-Mar-23 13:54:15

The other thing I have noticed, with Whiskas cat food pouches, is that most now weigh 85 grams, instead of the previous 100 grams.

MayBee70 Sun 05-Mar-23 13:54:41

I used to buy large bags of kibble but then read that it should be used up within a few weeks once opened and my dog only has a small amount each day. I’m wondering if that’s the reason why she gets a bad tum every now and again. So I’ve started buying smaller bags and putting it in airtight containers once opened. The Butchers tripe she has has gone up by @ 20%.

Maya1 Sun 05-Mar-23 14:06:06

Finn is at the vet every month for his librela injections. That has gone up by 10% from last year. The vet used to do the injections now it's a nurse, however they charge £18.00 to administer to it.
He is also on Tramadol and that is £80.00 a month. He has now started Ketamine injections to help his pain relief, I didn't even ask on Thursday what the cost of that was.
Over the past year the vet consultations have gone up from £45.00 to £54.00 per visit.
He is on a lot of natural remedies to help his arthritis and dementia and they have also gone up 15% in the last year.
He eats boiled chicken plus his dried food which again have gone up £10.00 a bag.
I have never counted the cost where he has been concerned and gone without myself to ensure he is ok.

paddyann54 Sun 05-Mar-23 14:09:59

Cat litter has soared in price from £6.99 to £13 a bag with two cats we get through a lot of it.Roll on summer when they' are out a lot more.I feel sorry for folk on low incomes who will struggle to feed or look after their animals

Maya1 Sun 05-Mar-23 14:11:11

Just to add everyone including my son and dil think I'm mad about how much l,spend on him and what l am doing to keep him going and comfortable. I know l will soon l have make a terrible decision.
Sorry I'm having an awful day.

Mollygo Sun 05-Mar-23 14:22:46

Maya1 that’s an awful decision to have to make. I understand why you’re willing to spend what it takes to keep him comfortable.

JaneJudge Sun 05-Mar-23 14:32:29

Oh Maya1 flowers I'm sure we all understand x

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 05-Mar-23 15:01:46

It to do with the scarcity of grain from the Ukraine causing a rise in the cost on the European market. Most pet food contains grain, ergo the rise. If it doesn’t contain grain it’s made from animals that consume grain.

Oldbat1 Sun 05-Mar-23 15:37:55

Yes my dogs food has increased by £10 for a 12kg bag and now costs £62. Gransnet members just in case you are not aware Vets if asked will provide written prescriptions (at a cost) so you can use online veterinary medicine providers at great saving.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 05-Mar-23 16:32:28

I hope you don’t have to make that decision for a good while Maya. I too spend a lot on medicines because I always rescue older dogs. And good food for them. I would go without myself rather than stint on food or medication for my dog and I know you would too. I am fortunate to be afford it. So many simply can’t afford to keep their pets now. Desperately sad.

MayBee70 Sun 05-Mar-23 17:51:07

Maya1

Finn is at the vet every month for his librela injections. That has gone up by 10% from last year. The vet used to do the injections now it's a nurse, however they charge £18.00 to administer to it.
He is also on Tramadol and that is £80.00 a month. He has now started Ketamine injections to help his pain relief, I didn't even ask on Thursday what the cost of that was.
Over the past year the vet consultations have gone up from £45.00 to £54.00 per visit.
He is on a lot of natural remedies to help his arthritis and dementia and they have also gone up 15% in the last year.
He eats boiled chicken plus his dried food which again have gone up £10.00 a bag.
I have never counted the cost where he has been concerned and gone without myself to ensure he is ok.

Could the vet give you a prescription for the tramadol which you might be able to get cheaper from Pet Dugs online or similar companies?

Redrobin51 Sun 05-Mar-23 18:05:19

Yes we've noticed an increase in kibble especially and we also seem to have been having difficulty getting the brand our dog is on. Pets fees have also gone up.

midgey Sun 05-Mar-23 18:07:36

If only I could find a cat food that my cat is prepared to eat! So far this month I have tried several different brands. The only benefit I have is that both daughters have similarly fussy cats so I have inherited some sachets and dried food!

paddyann54 Sun 05-Mar-23 18:19:33

midgey my two went through a fussy phase and I gave away a ton of cat food to a neighbour ,I bought Crave dry food for them after a lot of things they left in their dishes and they love it .Now their fussy phase has passed they have Sheba wet pouches and crave dry most days ,
I get it from Amazon and the price of that has gone up a fair bit ,but they're worth it

HeavenLeigh Sun 05-Mar-23 18:22:19

Yes our dogs are fed raw dog food natural instinct and it’s a horrendous price now, also our three cats food have gone up i buy the cat food from Bitiba

sodapop Sun 05-Mar-23 18:26:19

We have noticed a problem with cat food here in France. Difficulty with supplies in the supermarkets then suddenly its all back on the shelves but more expensive. Dog food not so much change.
Sorry to hear about your poor dog Maya that's a lot of pain relief for him.

Delila Sun 05-Mar-23 18:26:32

I can recommend Animed Direct for pet food and medicines at reasonable prices. I’ve used them for several years for special diets and various treatments and found them very reliable and good value. As MayBee70 says, you can use a prescription from your vet to purchase from various companies online, many offering considerable savings.