Gransnet forums

Pets

House training a puppy in winter

(85 Posts)
Mazgg Thu 07-Dec-23 10:14:03

I will be getting a dachshund puppy in a few weeks time. Last time I had a puppy it was summer and I was able to take her out into the garden regularly for toilet training and it was relatively easy.
Since then puppy pads have made their appearance. Has anyone trained their puppy to 'go' on the pad then made the transition to outdoors? I don't want to take her out in rain, cold or ice.

Iam64 Thu 07-Dec-23 16:57:12

Like dalrymple I’d not crate trained but 15 years ago crate trained a 4 month old doodle, I was her 4th owner. I crate trained the next two puppies and an 8 month old doodle I fostered. She’d had a truly awful start in life and in her previous home destroyed two crates, eaten through skirting boards, chair legs etc. poor lass had been left crated for im hours. She had separation anxiety no surprise and wasn’t house trained . When she arrived, I had two happy, stable dogs who were great calm companions and role models. I put the crate up in the kitchen where the dogs were fed and slept. Fed her in the crate, door open all day but closed at bed time. She got lots of exercise and training. She cried the first night, I went down and reassured her twice. After that she went happily in her bed/crate overnight.

I’m a fan of crates properly used, never punishment or ‘time out’

watermeadow Thu 07-Dec-23 19:20:25

I wouldn’t get a puppy in winter, especially a dachshund with short legs and thin hair. Dachshunds are also well known to be hard to house train so expect it to take a long time.
My present dog won’t wee or poo in the garden so we have to go for a short walk before bed whatever the weather.

CanadianGran Thu 07-Dec-23 22:06:52

We got our Aussie Shepherd in November 7 years ago. She was quite easy to train, and we have very wet winters here. I kept an umbrella and clogs by the back door so I could go out with her, praise her when she went, then she would get a treat when she came back in.

Once she caught on, she treated it like a race to the finish, typical for the breed!

Rosalyn69 Thu 07-Dec-23 22:13:04

Dachshunds aren’t all hard to train. I have a dachshund. Admittedly they don’t like going out in the rain. It just takes persistence and perseverance and spending a lot of time watching their every move. Stanley was crate trained and went through the night without peeing in his crate after the first week.

grannyro Sun 10-Dec-23 11:07:31

My grandson and his partner have recently got a puppy and when we had an early Xmas get together they came along with not just puppy pads but also a "pram" for the puppy (plus a coat and snacks!) They might as well have had a baby ! He was very good with the pads but I don't believe he has been trained to go outside yet so I don't know how the transition will go. (Before everyone said "ugh", he did only wee on the mat, he does go outside for a no.2!)

sarahcyn Sun 10-Dec-23 11:20:49

I would have expected my dog not to mind the cold too when we were toilet training him in the middle of winter. Then one snowy night as I took him outside, he looked mournfully up at me, turned round and sat down on my foot.

Cossy Sun 10-Dec-23 11:38:01

My advice, with three mini daxies in our house, is do NOT use puppy pads, get he/she use to used weather types asap and get he/she used to being left just literally for 5 minutes at a time for the first few weeks/months very gradually building up to an hour.

Daxies are v friendly and clever BUT notoriously stubborn and you have to be very friend AND very firm with them.

Ours are 3 and the other two 2 years old and still not fully household and won’t go out in the rain because, like you, my daughter didn’t want them getting cold and wet! Invest in a few warm doggie coats and be brave! Good luck

Mamasperspective Sun 10-Dec-23 11:42:33

I agree with other posters, I wouldn't use puppy pads. The minute the pup starts to squat, pick it up and put it outside and it will get used to heading for the door each time it needs to go. I would also advise crate training your pup (some people say they don't like crates but it's no different to putting a baby in a cot!) and teach the pup 'down' time to relax (particularly after a walk ... when you get to that stage)

We have highly trained working dogs and that's the approach we have always taken.

MayBee70 Sun 10-Dec-23 11:44:13

grannyro

My grandson and his partner have recently got a puppy and when we had an early Xmas get together they came along with not just puppy pads but also a "pram" for the puppy (plus a coat and snacks!) They might as well have had a baby ! He was very good with the pads but I don't believe he has been trained to go outside yet so I don't know how the transition will go. (Before everyone said "ugh", he did only wee on the mat, he does go outside for a no.2!)

They’re making problems for themselves if they go on to have children if they treat a puppy like a baby. When I had my first dog I’d read how spaniels can get jealous of a new baby and, much as I wanted to kiss and cuddle her she was treated very much as a dog from day one. When I did have a baby a couple of years later I then made a huge fuss of her. I was very aware at the time that she was a baby substitute and, even though at the time I didn’t think I could have children I didn’t want to risk it. Since then I’ve known of several instances where people have had to rehome a dog when they have children. Having said that, well done them for being so considerate. Puppy pads do work if done properly but I’m pretty sure my whippets would have just looked on them as something else to rip up. I wish I wasn’t too old to have another puppy; reading this thread has somehow made me want to forget what hard work puppies are and desperately want one, especially as my current dog is so sociable but has no doggie friends.

Dillonsgranma Sun 10-Dec-23 11:45:12

I used puppy pads to housetrain a tiny puppy. At eight weeks old he always went on the puppy pad . There is a chemical in the pad that attracts the puppy to use it. I gradually moved the puppy pad nearer to the back door and eventually I put a used puppy pad outside. It worked beautifully for me and my very small dog who was a shihtzu x chihuahua. He only weighed .75 of a kg at eight weeks ! It can actually harm a tiny puppy to take it out in the freezing cold . They can’t regulate their temperature at that age.
So make life easier for you both by using puppy pads. That is what they are for

Treelover Sun 10-Dec-23 11:49:00

yeh, never saw the point of puppy pads. it's hard at the time, you think they are never going to 'get it' and then they do, and you forget the struggle. well, nearly. keep putting them outside. say the word...never convinced by that but understand the theory. reward when they do it. that's the surest way. and show your (oscar performance ) pleasure!

Peaches7 Sun 10-Dec-23 11:53:19

Many years ago,I had to house train a puppy in winter,there was no such things as puppy pads back then,just newspaper,evertime the puppy woke up from a sleep I would put him out in the garden,when he was about 12 weeks old I heard crying in the kitchen I went to investigate and found,the puppy by the back door crying to go out,I opened the door and he ran out to do a wee,I praised him a d gave him a treat andfrom then we never looked back,

Stewpot100 Sun 10-Dec-23 11:57:53

I've a miniature dachshund or four, but luckily all brought home in the summer months. They are notorious for disliking the rain and would prefer to poop indoors if they could. I'd start as you mean to go on.....that means no indoor puppy pads! Maybe find an undercover part of the garden where he/she is taken out frequently (initially) on a lead for potty time. But of course only you know your set up and what works with you. They all get there in the end....don't they?? Feeding a raw foot diet? The poops will be small and firm and don't smell. Actually they are the most loving, adorable and cuddly little barkers. He/she will adore you forever, and love nothing better than to snuggle up with you 24/7 if they can. We cracked the potty training quite early on with consistancy (you will too) and it helps to offer a tiny treat as a bribe. They just love their food. Don't forget to join the Facebook groups but just don't post anything remotely controversial on there as the dachshund brigade will have your guts for garters gringrin Enjoy....their clownish antics my fellow breed friend.

Tenko Sun 10-Dec-23 12:10:21

I’m on my third dog and have never used puppy pads , just regular trips outside especially after eating and drinking . It’s hard work but they get the idea . Our first puppy was in the March so still wet and cold . Our recent pup is a May puppy , so abit easier .
We also crate trained but not for punishment, for sleeping and nighttime .
Unfortunately the cold , rain and ice are part of having a dog . I’ve always had labs and to quote frozen ,” the cold doesn’t bother them anyway

grandtanteJE65 Sun 10-Dec-23 12:20:28

Our dachshound wasn't difficult to house train!

As a dog owner, you need to work out when the puppy is going to need out -just as you need to develop a sense of when a bairn is going to need the potty!

I second the gum-boot and warm jacket near the back door, and by all means make a little coat for the pup.

And lots of praise for the successful trips into the garden.

Nannashirlz Sun 10-Dec-23 12:25:25

A doesn’t need pads it needs walks rain hail and snow. My dog was a jan baby and lived in Germany at the time they do have bad weather my dog didn’t like to go out outside but it’s was the only way to teach her yes it was freezing at times but if you want a dog you have to do these things.

JustkeepswimmingDonna Sun 10-Dec-23 12:35:41

Sausage dogs are notorious for not liking the rain (maybe because their tummy gets wet 😍). You will need to be firm from the outset otherwise she will always try to avoid going outside if the weather is bad. Wishing you many adorable times with your new pup 😍

Willow68 Sun 10-Dec-23 13:18:54

I only used pads at night, my pup struggled with toilet training, until we got the doorbells, they work well. Training in winter is more difficult, but only due to weather, there will always be a while of cleaning up after them.

undines Sun 10-Dec-23 13:21:16

She's a dog! She can - and in my view, should - go out! (Same applies to humans :-) )
Definite 'no' to pads
When they were tiny there was newspaper
I leave the garden door open just a crack for our puppies (who are now 9 months old). When they need to go they nose it open. At night they go out for five minutes before bed. Unless they have upset tummies they go through the night.
Yes we still have the poo-eating - we bought something called 'Stool Repel' but it does not work. The breeder said get there double quick and spray the poo with cleaning fluid or something else they don't like, to break the habit, but I just don't make it on time. Good luck!

Marmin Sun 10-Dec-23 13:30:22

Another winter whippet puppy owner here. As Maybee 70 has written for her own experiences, every word describes my own experiences - including ringing the bell to go out. Now 3, our dog's routine is well worn. Wonderful dogs.

NannyInTheKitchen Sun 10-Dec-23 13:31:01

When we had our last puppy, a chocolate lab, it took a while to encourage him to get on the puppy mat. When he got the idea eventually, he sat on the mat proudly, wagging his tail and soaking up the praise, then immediatly jumped off the mat and made a puddle on the floor grin

Daisydaisydaisy Sun 10-Dec-23 13:45:39

Great ideas from May bee 🙂🩷

twiglet77 Sun 10-Dec-23 13:46:20

Why on earth are you getting a dog if you don’t want to take it out in the rain? Poor puppy. Dachshunds are hounds, not lap dogs, and will be noisy and destructive if not adequately exercised and trained. Get a coat and wellies and get on with it, or stick to a cuddly toy.

twiglet77 Sun 10-Dec-23 13:48:09

And invest in two or three correctly measured Equafleece dachsie jumpers, nothing else comes close.

MayBee70 Sun 10-Dec-23 13:51:29

twiglet77

Why on earth are you getting a dog if you don’t want to take it out in the rain? Poor puppy. Dachshunds are hounds, not lap dogs, and will be noisy and destructive if not adequately exercised and trained. Get a coat and wellies and get on with it, or stick to a cuddly toy.

She’s concerned for the dog, not herself.