Gransnet forums

Pictures

Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max).

Double yolkers

(33 Posts)
tanith Sun 12-Jun-16 11:11:23

Mr.T's extra large, can't wait to see if the others are all doubles too..

Ana Sun 12-Jun-16 11:19:06

I had a whole 6 pack of double-yokers last week - Asda Extra Large!

Indinana Sun 12-Jun-16 11:22:17

If you get a double yolker from a box it is very likely you'll get more - and even a whole box of double yolkers. I was told years ago this is because the eggs have been laid by very young hens, which are extremely fertile. Quite possible that the producers have recently replaced all their layers with new young hens, so this is the result.

ninathenana Sun 12-Jun-16 11:23:28

Wish H had cracked them for my breckie this morning.
I always by large eggs but todays didn't even cover half of the slices of toast they were on angry

ninathenana Sun 12-Jun-16 11:24:14

buy not by

tanith Sun 12-Jun-16 11:26:09

I hope they all turn out to be doubles grin oh and don't believe anyone who say those ceramic pans are sooooo non-stick, they aren't!! so disappointed.

rosesarered Sun 12-Jun-16 11:30:23

That Was going to be my question to you Tanith !

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 12-Jun-16 11:33:58

Now, I have always thought young hens lay smaller eggs Indinana. Where's merlot? She's the 'chooks' expert.

tanith Sun 12-Jun-16 11:51:43

No rosesarered we tried the other day in the fabulous non-stick ceramic pan with no oil and they stuck, so today I sprayed with a little oil and they still stuck.. OH insisted we buy the darn thing and may yet take it back to complain..

grannylyn65 Sun 12-Jun-16 12:29:41

Yes, agree Tanith, waste of my pension sad

Indinana Sun 12-Jun-16 12:47:54

jings that's what I always used to think too. It would certainly make sense. Yes, let's hope merlot drops by with her expertise.

Tegan Sun 12-Jun-16 13:05:04

I read that hens that lay double yokers don't live as long as the others sad.

Liz46 Sun 12-Jun-16 13:12:36

We are very lucky that our neighbour keeps bantams, unusual hens and ducks. He gives us a variety of eggs that have beautiful, big yellow yolks.

nonnasusie Sun 12-Jun-16 13:44:47

According to DH young hens usually lay smaller eggs but it can depend on the breed of hen. Last year we had a hen that laid double yolked eggs and even 1 with 3 yolks!! Unfortunately she was one of the many that were stolen! We have replacements now so fingers crossed that the thieving b......s leave us alone!!

rosesarered Sun 12-Jun-16 13:53:20

tanith glad I saw this thread, as a while ago DH was keen to buy one, but think we will stay with the Teflon kind.

tanith Sun 12-Jun-16 13:59:42

rosesarered OH will no doubt be buying a new Teflon one very soon too..

Indinana Sun 12-Jun-16 15:57:31

We bought a ceramic pan and were very impressed at first - until we tried frying eggs in it. Absolutely hopeless! It went from bad to worse when I cooked a big batch of pancakes in it, and it got badly stained, with burnt on food. So I put it through the dishwasher, to no avail. Next move was the bin and a new Teflon pan smile

POGS Sun 12-Jun-16 16:39:11

Sorry Tanith I couldn't get past

"Mr T's extra large". blush

tanith Sun 12-Jun-16 16:44:30

POGS wink

wot Sun 12-Jun-16 19:24:32

If they hatched would there be two chicks come out? ??

etheltbags1 Sun 04-Sep-16 21:59:28

I got some ceramic pans for Xmas and they are super. I've never had to scrub once, just swish the water around and they are clean

MiniMouse Sun 04-Sep-16 23:04:42

tanith and grannylyn I read that you need to keep the heat on low with ceramic pans and, since doing that, mines been fine! HTH smile

Izabella Mon 05-Sep-16 09:35:19

Young hens do lay double yolkers until the body fine tunes them. Size of egg is largely determined by breed but early eggs tend to be smaller. They get larger and thinner shelled as the hen ages. Double yolks do not determine a hen dying earlier. They only have so many eggs to lay and after those are laid, they just stop laying, having slowed down in the rate first.

Our 7 newbies are all now laying their first eggs. Small, perfectly formed and delicious. Our older ladies still lay wonderful eggs but usually on alternate days now.

Juggernaut Mon 05-Sep-16 09:49:46

I always buy eggs from our local farmer's market, which runs every Friday.
A dozen extra large cost £3-00, but they're really big, free range and organic, so well worth the price!
I get a dozen every week, and am on something of a roll because the last 27 eggs have all been double yolkersgrin
The lady I get them from says young hens lay double yolkers, until their bodies 'self regulate'!

susieken Mon 05-Sep-16 10:18:29

If someone was a boastful person my Mother would say " All her eggs have double yolks" !!!