Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Take part in the Colman's cook once eat twice challenge - £150 M&S voucher to be won!

(83 Posts)
AngelieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 02-Sep-13 16:10:56

We're looking for 10 Gransnetters to take part in a 2 week 'cook once eat twice' challenge.

Here's what Colman's say about the challenge:
"Wasting food costs families up and down the country money and has an impact on the environment too. Bulk cooking is a simple way to reduce this, as it can help with meal planning and provides a solution for those mealtimes when you just don't have the time or inspiration to cook. So join us in making your family's favourite dishes go further and save yourself time and money in the process!"

The aim of this challenge is to encourage GNers who don't often cook in batches, to try some of the Colman's recipes to make enough meals to last for the week by freezing and reheating when needed.

Those selected to take part will be sent a selection of Colman's packet mixes including:

- Colman's Chilli Con Carne Casserole (suitable for vegetarians)

- Colman's Chicken Casserole

- Colman's Beef Casserole

- Colman's Sausage Casserole (suitable for vegetarians)

You'll also receive Colman's recipe cards, information on food waste as well as some tips for freezing meals from Love Food Hate Waste.

Testers will then need to cook a couple of the recipes in one go and freeze into portion sizes for use over the 2 weeks.

You'll then need to add feedback to a thread on GN about how you found the recipes and whether or not you saved time and money and reduced the amount of food you usually waste.

Everyone who adds their feedback to the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £150 M&S voucher.

We know many GNers are seasoned pros at cooking in bulk and freezing leftovers and we'd like those of you who have top tips to share to help the testers out on the feedback thread so do keep a look out for this - there'll be an extra prize to win grin.

If you'd like to take part, please sign up here.

Thanks and good luck,
GNHQ

Nelliemoser Wed 04-Sep-13 08:27:31

These comments feel a bit like being rude to guests but J0s spin off is hilarious.
I am only telling the truth about the products though.
#wickedunrepentant grin

shysal Wed 04-Sep-13 08:42:35

And there was me thinking the spoof was based on Jamie Oliver's new series!

JessM Wed 04-Sep-13 08:51:55

Bit like the TV chefs who make their dishes tasty by adding salt, butter and cream in large quantities. Sea salt bugs me too. Not healthy. Larger crystals dissolve more slowly in the mouth and distribute through food less well, Encourages you to use a lot more than fine crystals.

Ariadne Wed 04-Sep-13 09:25:48

Once again, manufacturers, like people doing surveys / making TV programmes, have seriously misjudged to population of GN! Yippee!

Maybe one day the image of sweet little old ladies in pinnies knitting breakfast cereals will be banished. Huh!

merlotgran Wed 04-Sep-13 09:33:11

I don't feel like we're being rude, Nellie, They're only too happy to take our money if we're daft enough to part with it.

#thecustomerisalwaysright

Nelliemoser Wed 04-Sep-13 09:38:10

Ariadne That's the bit I like. "That'll learn them" not to try to pull the wool over the eyes of today's Grans. (Before we have knitted our Shreddies!

whenim64 Wed 04-Sep-13 09:52:57

I wonder how many people over 60 actually use Colman's sauces? You would think by that age they knew how to knock up a sauce without relying on a few spoons of processed powder containing unnecessary additives.

Ana Wed 04-Sep-13 10:46:02

My thoughts exactly, when! Surely we're the wrong target consumer group?

gillybob Wed 04-Sep-13 11:09:11

Exactly. Why is it that there are suddenly quite a few TV ads using "granny and grandad" type figures? Wonga and Shreddies being the two that really irritate me the most!

j08 Wed 04-Sep-13 11:13:26

Do you know Jess, I hadn't thought of that (about the salt crystals) I'll take that on board!

JessM Wed 04-Sep-13 11:56:30

There is also one brand (not the welsh one) that comes from an area very close to a nuclear power station! (things you learn on countryfile...)

Aka Wed 04-Sep-13 12:47:15

Me too Gilly and especially when the shreddies grans knowtow to the only man in the advert ... who is, of course, the supervisor. I now refuse to buy Shreddies on principle. I find the Wonga grans sinister.

merlotgran Wed 04-Sep-13 12:53:54

I've just looked at a thread that's supposed to have twelve posts but there's half a message from HQ saying it's been deleted.

Have you all been on the Coleman's sauce while I've been in the garden? shock

j08 Wed 04-Sep-13 13:18:03

It has got a very polite message now.

Cari needed a lie down.

j08 Wed 04-Sep-13 13:21:37

And a cuppasoup! shock

Nelliemoser Wed 04-Sep-13 16:05:41

what have I missed?

Ariadne Wed 04-Sep-13 17:18:30

jingl's thread about choosing advertisers carefully has been deleted...

janerowena Thu 05-Sep-13 11:27:31

What a shame I missed it. I only just saw it and was about to write that if I applied for the sauces, they would be given straight to my Uni-going son to cheer up his student cookery a little without having to go out and buy masses of ingredients he can't house.

j08 Thu 05-Sep-13 13:46:22

That is an excellent contribution janerowena.

Your son would benefit from very tasty dinners. smile

j08 Thu 05-Sep-13 13:46:48

smile for Lara

Nannapo Thu 05-Sep-13 20:32:51

Were we the last school generation to be taught to cook properly (my senior school life began in 1971), the first thing I remember being taught to make was Rock Cakes (grin), and the ability to make my own sauces from scratch has been one of my useful cooking skills, it's the start of so many sweet and savoury dishes etc, whereas my eldest daughter began her senior school life in 1994 and the first thing she was taught to make was Cuppa Soup (shock). Sadly, despite my best efforts, she is now one of the Can't cook, Can't be bothered to learn team, anything quick and easy seems to be preferred, although she still loves my cooking!

whenim64 Thu 05-Sep-13 20:46:09

It's difficult to take seriously, when there's a threat offer to send us four powdery casserole sauce mixes if we participate. Unless they send us even more if we don't? grin (Press delete here.....)

Sook Thu 05-Sep-13 20:58:40

I hated domestic science at school and my OH definitely didn't marry me for my culinary skills. I actually learned to cook/bake when he was diagnosed with renal failure in 1977.

Penstemmon Thu 05-Sep-13 21:24:05

I know 3 excellent 'food technology' teachers who teach kids to cook very well. One is an ex professional chef who has worked in top hotels. Unfortunately the exam expectations reduce the amount of cooking the children do. It is not what the teachers want but exam (therefore DfE) board requirements for written / fact based exams! rather than practical skills.

p.s. gosh we are all very virtuous on here , never resorting to packets to help a quick meal..or are some now too afraid to put their head above the parapet hmm

Galen Thu 05-Sep-13 21:42:41

blush I must confess to using a certain firms lamb gravy with a hint of mint when cooking a very small rack of lamb for myself. I rarely do a roast as there is only one of me.
When my DD visits she's a veggie!blush