Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Hellmann’s feedback thread – non testers: talk leftovers and sandwiches for a chance to win a £50 hamper NOW CLOSED

(60 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Oct-13 09:52:36

This thread is for the 10 gransnetters who took part in the Hellmann’s ‘Sandwich of the Century’ challenge as part of their
LoveFood Hate Waste campaign.

Non-testers: Hellmann’s would love to know if you use leftovers in your sandwiches. Do you regularly use your leftovers in a sandwich for lunch the next day? If you don’t, do you think it’s something you’d try? Every non tester who adds their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win a Hellmann’s hamper worth £50.

Here’s what Hellmann’s have to say, “For 100 years, Hellmann's Mayonnaise has been at the heart of the greatest Sandwiches but did you know that every day we throw away 200,000 loaves of bread and are even careless with our fillings for example, nearly three million tomatoes, and one million slices of ham are disposed of and not eaten?! At Hellmann’s, we love food and we believe eating should be a moment of joy. That's why we hate food waste and are now encouraging you to use your lovely leftovers!"

Testers were sent some Hellmann's mayonnaise along with a welcome pack.

Testers: We’ve got a set of questions we’d like you to answer about making sandwiches and how you found the Hellmann’s challenge. Please also feel free to add any other thoughts you may have.

1. How often do you make sandwiches for yourself and/or your family?
2. How many different types of sandwich filling do you have in one week?
3. Do you make sandwiches the night before or are you an early riser?
4. What are your hints and tips to keep your bread fresh?
5. What ideas did you/ your family come up with for using leftovers in sandwiches? What worked well/ what didn’t work out so well?
6. Do you have a favourite sandwich you already made regularly with your leftovers?
7. After taking part in the challenge do you think you will be more inventive in your sandwich fillings featuring Hellmann’s Mayonnaise?

If you have made a particularly impressive sandwich, feel free to post a picture of it on this thread too! All testers who leave their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 M&S voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

SueKich Fri 01-Nov-13 17:39:25

Hellman's is BRILLIANT. Been using it forever. It transforms a chicken salad toasted club sarnie. Adds a whole new dimension to fish 'n' chips. But my favourite is a 'salmon pat'* sandwich in white bread with some pickled cucumber on the side. To dine for!!

* Salmon pats are an old family recipe - a version of salmon cakes made with drained tinned red salmon, grated onion, parsley and lemon juice with egg and matzo meal to bind and then medium-deep fried in fresh corn oil for 5-10 mins each side and drained off on kitchen paper.

sutton10 Fri 01-Nov-13 21:34:05

our sandwich using leftover food is homemade tikka marsala chicken curry and topped with Hellmans mayonnaise, on 50/50 bread then toasted to bring out the flavour.
We have sandwiches most days and try different fillings often.
We make our sandwiches fresh each day.
We have tried ham salad and mayonnaise.
Brie and cranberry sauce.
Bolognaise and hellmans.
Corned beef salad and hellmans.
We keep our bread fresh in the fridge.
We also use hellmans on jacket potatoes.

NanaandGrampy Fri 01-Nov-13 22:22:33

1. How often do you make sandwiches for yourself and/or your family?

Pretty much every day - we have dinner in the evenings so lunch is often a sandwich and of course packed lunches for work !

2. How many different types of sandwich filling do you have in one week?

Its never the same thing twice. Theres just too much choice and perhaps that's what contributes to the wastage , we have far too many things open at once !!

3. Do you make sandwiches the night before or are you an early riser?

Never the night before, although many, many years ago, I would make them en masse and freeze them, taking out a pack every day! I wouldn't say they were good, just time saving LOL

4. What are your hints and tips to keep your bread fresh?

in winter I keep it in a huge sealed plastic box, and in the summer in the fridge.

5. What ideas did you/ your family come up with for using leftovers in sandwiches? What worked well/ what didn’t work out so well?

What we did was work out what we could make with leftover to go WITH a plain sandwich , so for instance we had ham sandwiches with a great sweetcorn and cheese dip , a little mayo , a little cream if you have it, bake it in the oven for 15 mins till golden brown and bubbling and its delicious ! We varied it with some chopped peppers , and also toasting sandwiches ! I cant say its calorie conscious but it is yummy!!

6. Do you have a favourite sandwich you already made regularly with your leftovers?

It has to be tuna mayo, sweetcorn and thinly sliced cucumber ... oh yes !!

7. After taking part in the challenge do you think you will be more inventive in your sandwich fillings featuring Hellmann’s Mayonnaise?

Yes, and even trying some more chips and dips style things...I didn't think about actually cooking with it , but its lush :-)

Aurelia Sat 02-Nov-13 18:23:37

I think I might be addicted to Hellmann's Mayonnaise!
Sandwiches are a lunchtime standby here, and most get a huge dollop of Hellmann's.
Favourites are egg mayonnaise, BLT, tomato, and of course, left over roast chicken. A hot chip butty with lashings of Hellmann's is food for the Gods on a cold wet day.
I use Hellmann's as the base for other sauces too, seafood sauce to dunk fish goujons or scampi in, mustard mayo for cold sausages, 'broken' with cream or yoghurt to drizzle on asparagus, are just some of the tasty treats Hellmann's helps me make.
I don't think a day goes by in this kitchen when the Hellmann's jar is not opened!

Galen Sat 02-Nov-13 19:22:04

Oh yes!
Line a salad bowl with salad leaves
Chop leftover chicken into small chunks
Carefully mix cottage cheese with some Hellmann mayonnaise salt and pepper to taste.
Drain a jar of asparagus tips (or use fresh)
Chop an apple and wash in lemon juice
Carefully fork all the ingredients together and pile on top of the leaves.
I usually reserve few pieces of white meat and a couple of asparagus tips to decorate on top.
It's lovely, healthy, not fattening and tastes delicious.

Galen Sat 02-Nov-13 19:24:34

This can be used for a sandwich particularly in a roll. ( but I prefer it as a salad)

Galen Sat 02-Nov-13 19:25:58

Raw chopped mushrooms and bean sprouts mixed with mayonnaise in whole meal brown bread.

polly5 Mon 04-Nov-13 11:42:49

I make sandwiches at leas 5 times a week and try to use as much variety as possible, even when using up leftovers, I try to make them fresh.
I keep my bread in the larder in some of those specia; bags that keep it fresh,
We add various pickles and mayos to anything, most things work well and get eaten.
My favourite sandwich is tuna, chopped onion and sweetcorn mixed with hellmans and served with a side salad or with salad on the sandwich
I already try to be inventive , I think sandwiches are much underrated and can be spiced up a lot to make a filling meal.

MiceElf Thu 07-Nov-13 16:21:37

The best way of using Hellmans is this:

Gently poach fresh two fillets of salmon, cool and then flake and mix with a tablespoon of Hellmans mixed with a good squeese of lemon juice.

Then line a bread tin or terrine with some smoked salmon which you have pressed out with the blade of a knife to make it go further.

Layer up the terrine with alternate layers of the salmon mixture and tiny just poached vegetables from the following list: green beans, courgettes, red or yellow pepper, peas, baby corn, fennel or carrot.

Press overnight in the fridge with weights on the top.

Turn out and serve in slices, either as a starter or with crusty bread for carry out.

glammanana Thu 07-Nov-13 18:47:29

We have sandwiches most days certainly 5 days over the week
A selection of filling really I would say 4/5
The only time I make the night before is if we have a very early start the next day otherwise I will make on the day.
Keeping bread in nice fresh condition is by using my trusty Tupperware container circa 1960 never ever let me down.
Any left over veg/meat chopped up together with Hellmans and used to fill a jacket potato is a favourite and quick to prepare honestly not found anything as yet that has not worked out uneable.
Chicken & sweetcorn is an all time favourite served with sliced tomatoes.
We are defineatly being more creative and trying new ideas,I have tried the Hellmans Mayonnaise with a hint of flavouring which I saw on Supermarket shelves and have been very pleasently surprised as to the difference it makes to your sandwich filling.
Thanks for the opportunity to have taken part in this challenge it has been eyeopening as to the amount that can be saved from the waste bin.

vohn Sat 09-Nov-13 00:47:48

Here's my answers to the questions...
1. We have sandwiches a few times a week, usually for packed lunches or Sunday outings.
2. We have lots of different types of sandwich filling in one week but our traditional favourites are egg mayo; tuna & sweetcorn mayo; leftover roast chicken & mayo.
3. I make sandwiches the night before as I'm not a morning person (huge understatement!) but my hubbie is an early riser, so he is usually on sandwich duty, so they are made fresh.
4. To keep your bread fresh freeze the loaf and defrost slices as required in the toaster. Personally I prefer to buy smaller loaves from the bakers, as they are always all used up 'cause they are so delicious. If you do find yourself always throwing out bread, make breadcrumbs & freeze to use as a topping on bakes or a coating for fishcakes.
5. We tried out lots of ideas. A revelation was leftover deal spread on lightly toasted oat & barley bread, with lashings of mayonnaise - taste sensation!
6. My personal favourite sandwich is leftover fish fingers with mayo and tartare sauce.
7. We always have Hellmann's mayo in the fridge and I have always used it in my sandwiches - much nicer and healthier than butter. Since the daal experiment was so delicious, I'll definitely be more adventurous in future!

And a few further thoughts on leftovers…
- I always make extra pasta for dinner - love it for lunch the next day with mayonnaise & a bit of ketchup (don't tell the Italians – heinous crime apparently!) or sweet chilli sauce - mixed with peas & crispy pancetta.
- Mix mayo with sweet chilli sauce for a great dip for potato wedges or pizza crusts. We always use up the last few potatoes in the bag to make potato wedges - cut in quarters, toss in a little oil, salt & pepper and bake for 25 mins.
- Leftover mash? Mix with mayo & spring onions. Form into potato cakes, press grated cheese on top & bake for 20 mins.

Finally, not a sandwich but here's my lunch from today - a single tortilla (leftover from dinner) filled with leftover bit of salmon, mixed with chives from the garden, coriander from the windowsill, oodles of mayo, fresh black pepper, more mayo, a few salad leaves - rolled & sliced in two - delicious deli-style roll!

Vohn
x

vohn Sat 09-Nov-13 00:50:38

Have a picture too but can't see how to add it!

Ruby6918 Fri 15-Nov-13 11:11:46

leftover sunday chicken or turkey, is coronation chicken with hellmas and curry and i like a wee bit of apple, for sandwiches or baguettes.

left off bolognaise, rolled up in tortilla wraps and cheese, and in the oven, yummy

leftover sausages, sliced up in a sarny with mayo or tomato sauce and some cheese if you like.

roast meat is brill sliced up thinly with spring onion, tomato, mayo and a dash of worcester sauce, in a big fresh bap

i throw very little away, ive had to get a lot smarter than a few years ago, but it also has made me more adventirous

thesoupdragon44 Fri 15-Nov-13 11:34:37

I make a point of always using up my leftovers. Either Hubby or son have it in a sandwich or cold for lunch. The best leftover sandwich has to be the turkey, stuffing and bubble and squeak toasties!

janeainsworth Fri 15-Nov-13 11:47:05

vohn You can only put pictures on the pictures thread.
www.gransnet.com/forums/pictures

Pamaga Fri 15-Nov-13 15:49:49

Christmas leftover turkey and stuffing with Hellmans mixed with a drop of Cranberry sauce
Boxing day leftover gammon with Hellmans mixed with a dash of mustard
Leftover cheeses grated with Hellmans mixed with a little pickle
Leftover salad ingredients chopped finely and made into a sarnie using mashed pilchards in tomato sauce, mixed with Hellmans
Leftover French fries (if there ever are any) reheated in the microwave then stirred into some Hellmans and converted into a chip butty
Leftover veg (sprouts work especially well but carrots and parsnips are good too) and roast potatoes chopped finely and fried in a little oil a la Bubble'n'Squeak then crushed between two slices of Hellmans' spread bread to make a very filling sandwich

teaganuk Fri 15-Nov-13 17:52:24

I love making pate out of left over Salmon or Trout just mix with half a tub of cream cheese , some paprika, and some lemon juice serve on salad or cold fish on a salad with tartar sauce made with Hellman;s Mayo , capers, gherkins.lemon juice yum yum yum

snowyboots Fri 15-Nov-13 20:53:43

Left overs always go on sandwiches in our house, tonight we have had roast salmon and roasted Mediterranean vegetables (home grown cherry tomatoes now frozen in 1lb bags, a sliced courgette, chopped red onion and different coloured sweet peppers) All this on wholemeal bread with a good dollop of Hellman's mayo the following day is truly amazing - you don't need to use any butter on the bread either.

MaryXYX Fri 15-Nov-13 22:12:35

Why should I prepare more food than I need?

I have cereal for breakfast, an apple a tomato and two Ryvitas with a little cheese for lunch. Do you see any leftovers there?

On the rare occasions I do cook I prepare enough for perhaps six meals and freeze all but one. Usually some sort of curry or other spiced meal with rice. Again nothing to put in a sandwich.

I can't even pretend I use a Hellmans product with any of these meals either! I guess I'm not winning anything.

phizz Fri 15-Nov-13 23:00:54

I don't need leftovers, I just love Hellman's mayo on slices of buttered bread.

Dee-lish!!!

optieight Sat 16-Nov-13 00:32:48

I substitute a couple of tablespoonful of Hellman's mayo for eggs in some cake recipes, especially chocolate ones. I never get leftover cake!

sassy60 Sat 16-Nov-13 10:58:56

I love to use any left over coronation chicken with a dollop of Hellmans of course and also left over tuna with Hellmans, peppers or beetroot between a freshly made granary bread thickly sliced. Yummy!
I agree that mayo is better than butter in a sandwich.

barbara35 Sat 16-Nov-13 15:28:35

I love using leftovers, especially cold cuts with a crispy roll, and some pickles/jalapenos with Hellmans. Im really looking forward to Christmas turkey leftovers - with crispy iceberg lettuce, all the pickles and a bit serving of Hellmans mayonnaise.

legray22 Sat 16-Nov-13 18:57:45

One day old baguettes make a perfect base for a bread and butter pudding. Cold leftover mashed potatoes are best for potato scones and leftover chicken fried rice is my choice for stuffing tomatoes!

barbaraellen Mon 18-Nov-13 00:58:11

Left over sliced ham makes great "italian sandwiches" by chopping ham into small pieces with hard boiled egg, salad, lettuce cucumber and tomatoes and add Hellman's and a touch of mustard. A lot of leftovers go a long way but tastes great!