Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Mobile Phones for the elderly

(30 Posts)
Nagmad2016 Tue 24-May-22 14:53:17

My FIL is 87 years old and lives in a care home. He is hard of hearing, despite wearing a hearing aid, and particularly when using his mobile phone. Whenever he is on a call, invariably the call will end mid sentence, or he will complain that he cannot hear the caller.
I suspect that in grasping the sides of his phone, he is unknowingly adjusting the volume, to the point of muting his phone, or indeed, turning the phone off. This is very frustrating for anyone trying to contact him.
Does anyone have experience of a mobile phone specifically for the elderly, that would improve this situation?

allule Sat 25-Jun-22 10:31:23

I have set up Echoes in every room, so I can just say “Alexa, call Pete” or whoever and talk.
I did need some help setting it up, but now feel reassured that I can make contact from anywhere in the house.

allule Sat 25-Jun-22 10:36:35

I have Echoes in every room so that I can just say “Alexa, call Pete” or whoever..
I did have some help setting it up, but feel reassured that I can make a hands free call from anywhere in the house, as I am concerned about falling.

dragonfly46 Sat 25-Jun-22 10:41:50

I got a phone for my dad from AgeUK. It is specially designed for the elderly on a very cheap contract. I don't know if they still do them.

ExDancer Sat 25-Jun-22 11:31:55

Dragonfly's idea is best, try Ageuk they really are very helpful.
I am 83 and have a PAYG phone and I do not use it for anything other than as a telephone for emergencies, not for chatting as I did on my landline. I am exactly like I was as a child when we first got a phone in the house.
I was TERRIFIED of it.
My grandson once connected it to the Internet and it ran away with all my credit so when I came to use it - it was DEAD.
Make sure you don't overload him with apps he doesn't want or need, to him its just a phone, not a camera and certainly not a link to the wwide web and I bet it frightens him too.
Would it be possible to go into a local phone shop and pick the brains of one of their wiz-kids, then leave to 'think about it'? They should have a better idea of what's available.
For old people who are IT savvy mobiles are wonderful, but not for people like me. Or your FIL by the sound of things.