Gransnet forums

Relationships

when should a daughter tell mum she is pregnant

(50 Posts)
granto7 Tue 06-Sep-11 23:13:10

is there an ideal time for a daughter to tell mum she is pregnant????

gillybob Wed 07-Dec-11 13:30:03

Thank you siberia that was so kind. smile

Stansgran Mon 05-Dec-11 18:39:00

I couldn't tell my mother when I was expecting my first child as she was caring for her dying 92 year old mother. I was so sick I couldn't even make it to the funeral. Felt dreadful that I couldn't give her the support I felt I should. When I stopped being sick I phoned her and apologised for the evasions and explained-she said a new life for an old- she was a lovely mother and that daughter adored her as did her sister

Annobel Fri 02-Dec-11 21:08:09

I had to do it by air mail from Kenya. Telephones from there were not reliable at that time. Besides, if she'd heard my voice on the phone all the way from Africa, she'd have jumped to the conclusion that some disaster had happened.

apricot Fri 02-Dec-11 20:30:02

I did much the same, telling my mother (long-distance from a stinking phone box) that I'd like to order more baby nighties, please.
Her response, "I thought you couldn't afford the ones you've already got"
With No. 4 I didn't tell her until I was 6 months pregnant.

syberia Fri 02-Dec-11 20:23:44

gillybob you have no need to feel ashamed thanks

Carol Fri 02-Dec-11 18:08:45

What a lovely way to share the good news green

gracesmum Fri 02-Dec-11 17:28:00

That is lovely Greenmossgiel!!

greenmossgiel Fri 02-Dec-11 17:04:33

One Christmas-time, my friend opened her parcel from her daughter to find a ball of baby wool, a pair of number 9 needles and a pattern for a matinee jacket! smile

GrannyHilly Fri 02-Dec-11 14:02:26

When I told my Mother I was pregnant with her first grandchild she told me that I couldn't have a baby because I didn't have matching bedroom furniture! Still trying to work out if the furniture would cause a problem with conception or delivery??

My daughter told me immediately after her husband, and no their furniture doesn't match!!

Mishap Thu 01-Dec-11 17:50:05

One of my Ds (who at that time had 2 children) was at my house and suddenly started to cry. I tried to comfort her and said: "I expect you have PMT - when is your next period due?" - she gave me a sheepish look and said: "In about 9 months."
"Ah", said I "Now I understand!"
All their financial plans had just gone out the window!
Little chap was born and is much adored, so all is well (except for the finances!).

gracesmum Thu 01-Dec-11 16:31:23

There are some lovely and some moving stories here.
DD told us she was 12 weeks pregnant with her first baby just after she had done Great North Run in September 09 - she knew if she had told anybody before we would have nailed her feet to the floor (in a manner of speaking)
She told us about latest baby at just over 8 weeeks -so we all had an anxious 4 weeks until he was "set"!

gillybob Thu 01-Dec-11 16:11:11

I know I should be ashamed but at 17 I found myself pregnant. I was terrified to tell my (very strict) parents. I waited and waited and the time just never seemed to be right. I eventually burst into the small shop where she worked and horror of horrors just burst out with it......... I was 7 months pregnant at the time. Luckily I told her then as my tiny son was born just a few weeks later.
sad

nanachrissy Tue 29-Nov-11 17:36:40

Thats lovely Popparob smile

PoppaRob Tue 29-Nov-11 17:31:43

I'd been living across town from my daughter (110Km and an hour and a half drive away) having broken up with my wife the year before and let's just say I was in a fairly dark place. My daughter rang and said she thought I really should move closer to her, I asked if there was a particular reason and she said yes, because my granddaughter or grandson would be needing to see her Poppa regularly! Other than her partner I was the first, then she SMSd her Mum and then her mates! So I put my house on the market the next day, found the place I'm in now and had moved all in 6 weeks.

Gally Tue 29-Nov-11 16:46:14

I guessed the last one; Daughter No.3 came for lunch which was wine, pate and cheese and she refused the lot. I was sworn to secrecy for the next 3 months grin

Greatnan Tue 29-Nov-11 16:32:48

My eldest daughter got pregnant (she maintains accidentally) at 20 and she rang me and said 'I have something to tell you' - I knew what that meant.
The young father disappeared and his good Irish Catholic parents stayed interested until it was too late for an abortion, then they also dropped out of sight. As it happened, an abortion would never have been considered. I was in the happy position of being able to put the deposit on a terraced cottage for her, and furnish it completely.
Her younger sister was baby-mad from childhood and married at 17, simply to get pregnant. Nothing happened, and she cried to me month after month.
It was wonderful the day she found out that she was pregnant, just seven months before her sister's baby was born. It meant we could all celebrate both births.
I used my half of the matrimonial home to get them both on the property ladder, as I was working abroad and all my living expenses were covered by my employer.
I heard 'I've got something to tell you' another eight times, always very early in the pregnancy, and then my daughter and I heard it from my grand-daughter. At first, it seemed a disaster, but the young man has proved to be really reliable and they now have two lovely little girls, who will be flower girls at their parents' wedding next year!
With another four grand-daughters growing up fast, I don't doubt that I will be hearing those words many more times.

petallus Tue 29-Nov-11 15:09:12

Oh dear, I'd better add to what I've just said. My daughter told me she was pregnant each of the four times with trepidation. I hate admitting it but somehow I gave her the impression I was disapproving.

petallus Tue 29-Nov-11 15:07:07

Years ago when I told my mother I was pregnant with my first child, she was shocked. We were sitting in the garden and I can still see the horrified expression on her face. Reason was I had only been married for six weeks and she assumed I had got pregnant before marriage. Actually daughter was born nine months and one day after my marriage. How times change!

silverfoxygran Sun 27-Nov-11 21:48:44

My DD phoned and told me after her first scan (I'd already guessed) I calmly passed the phone to DH and once he knew I danced around the room screaming with joy. She then emailed me the scan photo.

When she called to tell me she was 3 months pregnant with baby number two I was so surprised neither of us could stop laughing. Wonderful happy news happily received.

How different from my announcements to parents. The only person who showed excitement was my DH - everyone else moaned that it was too soon and we couldn't afford it. Seems you're not alone there Grumpy

Carol Sun 27-Nov-11 20:52:15

That's fabulous granto - each baby brings so much joy, and more so when you already know what it's like to have young grandchildren, so there's all that fun to come.

granto7 Sun 27-Nov-11 20:48:39

I find it hard to imagine twin daughters going through IVF Carol, as I have found it hard enough going through niece's IVF HAPPILY baby expected January
Also my 8th grandchild expected january .......... so I wait with HOPE and BAITED BREATH

Carol Sun 27-Nov-11 20:29:39

Can you imagaine what it's like to have twin daughters going through IVF, so I knew when conception occurred and agonised with them waiting for the pregnancy tests. Both successful first time thank goodness, and both have twins themselves, but the the anxiety of wishing for it to have worked is so stressful.

Hunt Sun 27-Nov-11 18:30:49

My son and his girl friend came round one day and announced that they were expecting a baby.''Oh! How lovely'' I said . ''There you are '' my son said ''I told you so'' . Phew! Got that right then.

Jangran Fri 09-Sep-11 15:38:00

My daughters told me as soon as they knew, and it was an absolute thrill each time.

Daughter 2 told me when she found out the sex - both boys - but it was not so much that she wanted me to know, but that she wanted sympathy from me. She wanted a girl. Naturally, she has changed her mind now.

Daughter 1 decided to try and find out the sex of the first, but baby (girl) was not obliging. She decided to aim for a surprise the second time - it was a bit of a surprise, we all expected a second girl.

Grumpy's story reminds me of my father's reaction to my pregnancies.

Number one (conceived five months after marriage in 1969): "Oh, no! People might think you had to get married."
Number two (after number one had been a Caesarian): "You're not, are you? Oh no, something else for us to worry about" (and yes, he was serious).

He adored the girls when they were born, but it was hard to forgive his negative response to the news that they were on the way.

Faye Fri 09-Sep-11 03:35:09

My daughters told me as soon as they know, my daughter in law I think it has been usually been fairly soon after she finds out.
My daughter told her three year old son as soon as she knew that Mummy was going to have a baby. He immediately told everyone that he was getting a baby sister. He was right too!! smile