Gransnet forums

Relationships

sudden death of a teenage grandson

(55 Posts)
enelbee Tue 15-Nov-11 18:58:15

Our son and his family live in UK and we live in USA. My son's eldest boy died suddenly this past summer and I am concerned about how to help the family cope (there is a younger son) as they pass through this first year - especially with holidays.

Does anyone have some helpful advice?

greenmossgiel Mon 26-Dec-11 12:55:17

NannaJ - sometimes we do just wonder what all of this is about, don't we? Your post was very early this morning - were you having difficulty sleeping last night? The thoughts you were having so early are so sad and make me think you've been feeling like this since yesterday.
To have lost such important people in your life when you were so young and with young children, must have been unbelievably awful. The vast, empty space of grief sometimes seems to have no boundaries, NannyJ, but then (as you'll know) something will happen to lighten things again, and we can move on and everything will be alright again for a good while. I hope you'll find this happening for you again soon, and that, in the meantime, you'll get a wee bit of comfort from us here. xx thanks

grannyactivist Mon 26-Dec-11 14:38:22

NannaJ (((hugs))) - life can be so hard, but somehow we muddle through. I do hope you have lovely supportive friends to come alongside you right now. thanks

NannaJ Wed 28-Dec-11 22:02:52

Thank you greenmossgiel and grannyactivist for your kind words and thanks to all that have offered so much in your responses - and thanks for the opportunity of joining in at Gransnet.

I have understood myself a little more from just being able to express how I feel to you wonderful people and hearing from you your responses both to me and to Enelbee. I feel heard and understood and not so alone.

Thanks you all from the bottom of my heart.thanksthanksthanks

Wheniwasyourage Thu 29-Dec-11 19:22:33

So sad for all of you who have lost a child or a grandchild - it's what we all dread, isn't it? All I can do is send love and the wish that you will find ways of coping. thanks