Relationships

Friends that depress you!

(230 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 04-Oct-12 11:31:22

You can skip the advert.

Anne58 Thu 04-Oct-12 11:30:49

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Grannyeggs Thu 04-Oct-12 11:30:41

Greatnan. I have a friend the same, a drain instead of a radiator. Yet I too like her, she can be great fun despite the gloom and doom side. She has hinted she would like to go on holiday with me and I have just ignored it, and will keep doing so as I know it would be a disaster. You could try saying that you never go on holiday with friends as you don't want to spoil the friendship, but she probably knows you do that with others. I would just try and avoid the subject coming up again. Is she at all sympathetic to any problems you have?

whenim64 Thu 04-Oct-12 11:28:31

Yes Greatnan shake her off as soon as you can! Who needs friends that try to drag us down?

Greatnan Thu 04-Oct-12 11:16:25

I have a friend whom I like very much - she has no gc and is not a member of Gransnet, so I can safely tell you about her. She is very pessimistic and her messages are always full of the awful things that are happening in her life. Every time I suggest something she could do to improve matters, she tells me some reason why it won't work.
I told her my good news about my grandson getting into the Royal Navy yesterday, and her only comment was 'You must be worried, it sounds a very dangerous job'. Actually, I am not worried because I know the RN will train him very well, and he will be doing something he loves and making lots of friends.
I manage to keep very cheerful most days, in spite of my own family problems, and I could do without her continually telling me how rotten life is!
I think some of you might have partners like this - Eeyores - so have you any advice as to the best way to deal with her? She wants to come on a short holiday with me but I am afraid it would not be joyous, like my jaunts with Juragran!